It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
(male)

guy983 HB User
Question on thickening of the neck

Hello. My question is this, is it normal as we age for the neck to get thicker? My wife complains thinking that one side of her neck is thicker than the other. I can't really tell a difference but she insists that when she tilts her head to the side a little and points her chin down, that one side looks "fatter" than the other. When I looked, I guess I could see what she was saying but both sides aren't suppose to be the exact same anyway are they?

Just thought I would ask since I am the computer guy around here. She doesn't much get on the internet. Thanks to all who can give me some insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Question on thickening of the neck

has she had her thyroid checked?

If it's enlarged, or she has thyroid nodules, or a goiter that could give her the sensation that she's having.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
(male)

guy983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
has she had her thyroid checked?

If it's enlarged, or she has thyroid nodules, or a goiter that could give her the sensation that she's having.....
She has had her thyroid checked and it is 3.06. Would that be a cause? She says that it doesn't hurt or anything like that. What is Goiter?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

if you're referring to her TSH 3.06 is a little high
there are other blood tests that are better, but doctors seem to limit themselves to the TSH
A goiter is an enlarged bumpy thyoid and it can make your neck feel and look bigger. I'd ask the doctor for a thyroid ultrasound. It's quick, painless, and can tell if she has thyroid nodules, an enlarged thyroid, or a goiter.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
(male)

guy983 HB User

Quote:
if you're referring to her TSH 3.06 is a little high
there are other blood tests that are better, but doctors seem to limit themselves to the TSH
A goiter is an enlarged bumpy thyoid and it can make your neck feel and look bigger. I'd ask the doctor for a thyroid ultrasound. It's quick, painless, and can tell if she has thyroid nodules, an enlarged thyroid, or a goiter.
Ok, I had her pull out her lab work and yes the TSH was 3.06..her T4 Free was 0.9
T3 Free was 304
T3 Reverse was 26
Her Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies was 12

Does any of that make sense because it doesn't much to me. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure of the other number ranges right off hand, but I bet if you posted on the thyroid board, you would get a lot of responses. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there and it's a pretty busy board.
Maybe title your post "question about lab results", and you will get some answers.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
(male)

guy983 HB User

Quote:
I'm not sure of the other number ranges right off hand, but I bet if you posted on the thyroid board, you would get a lot of responses. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there and it's a pretty busy board.
Maybe title your post "question about lab results", and you will get some answers.
Yep, I think I will do that. Thanks so much!!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

you're welcome!
Good luck to you and your wife

Closed Thread