It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

Margot49 HB User
Chronic dry mouth, throat and tongue and feeling of lump in throat

This has truly been a nightmare for the better part of 3 years. Started out thinking I had post nasal drip and went to an ENT. Loooong story short, I have seen probably a dozen doctors (ENT, Internist, GI, cardiologist, etc) and numerous tests have been done. Nobody can give me a definitive diagnosis but my condition is getting worse and now is chronic. I have chronic dry mouth, throat, and palate and have a, now constant, feeling of a lump in my throat. Have had numerous scopes done. Was on Nexium on and off and that gave me no relief. Had to stop it due to bad muscle pains. I go again to the ENT doc today (another relatively new one). He had mentioned giving me some shot in my neck (novacaine?) and I have no idea what that is supposed to accomplish and think I won't let him do that. My labs seem to be normal except for an elevated red cell distribution (?) last week, which I've never seen before. Recent blood work shows I am post-menopause, which I knew. Had a biopsy and at least 3 tests for Sjorgens - negative. On one scan of my neck, they did see calcified plaque in the carotid artery that goes to my face. Cardiologist said it was not a concern.
Anyone have these problems and any ideas??? These ENT docs basically do the regular tests, scopes and don't see anything so basically send me on my way. There has to be a reason for this, whether it be an ENT issue or something systemic. Any help would be appreciated. This has just ruined my quality of life and that of my family

The Following User Says Thank You to Margot49 For This Useful Post:
Buddy2012 (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
(male)

bob rife HB User
Re: Chronic dry mouth, throat and tongue and feeling of lump in throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot49 View Post
This has truly been a nightmare for the better part of 3 years. Started out thinking I had post nasal drip and went to an ENT. Loooong story short, I have seen probably a dozen doctors (ENT, Internist, GI, cardiologist, etc) and numerous tests have been done. Nobody can give me a definitive diagnosis but my condition is getting worse and now is chronic. I have chronic dry mouth, throat, and palate and have a, now constant, feeling of a lump in my throat. Have had numerous scopes done. Was on Nexium on and off and that gave me no relief. Had to stop it due to bad muscle pains. I go again to the ENT doc today (another relatively new one). He had mentioned giving me some shot in my neck (novacaine?) and I have no idea what that is supposed to accomplish and think I won't let him do that. My labs seem to be normal except for an elevated red cell distribution (?) last week, which I've never seen before. Recent blood work shows I am post-menopause, which I knew. Had a biopsy and at least 3 tests for Sjorgens - negative. On one scan of my neck, they did see calcified plaque in the carotid artery that goes to my face. Cardiologist said it was not a concern.
Anyone have these problems and any ideas??? These ENT docs basically do the regular tests, scopes and don't see anything so basically send me on my way. There has to be a reason for this, whether it be an ENT issue or something systemic. Any help would be appreciated. This has just ruined my quality of life and that of my family
do you experience sometimes breathing diffilties, like your throat is closed and you can not breath at all and it take a lot of effort to open the throat again by breathing out and in for a minute untill you reach again for a normal breathing situation and the yout throat is totaly open

Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
(male)

bob rife HB User

do you experience a dificultie in breathing sometimes like your thraot is totaly closed

Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

Margot49 HB User

No, I have no difficulty breathing. Maybe some anxiety that that might happen one day but I can breath and eat and swallow.
It's my tongue and mouth and throat that are so bad and the continuing feeling like something is stuck, or there is mucous in my throat, which is not the case. It's so hard to describe. My whole tongue does not feel right and is dry. Docs just don't see anything and many tests and biopsies for Sjorgens are negative. This is horrible.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

I have something similar. The top/back of my mouth gets so dry. I have constant post nasal drip. I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat - though I believe it is mucus. My lips get dry and my eyes feel dry as well. I was diagnosed with LPR but I don't think that is the cause because both Prevacid and Nexium haven't helped at all. I do have lots of allergies but antihistamines just make the dryness worse. I haven't had the extensive tests done that you have had and I've only had this for 9 months. I can certainly empathize with you. It isn't fun!

Closed Thread