It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
(male)

rs 10 HB User
Lightbulb Actual piece of tonsil came off today

First off, I had tonsillitis about 10 yrs ago and one of my tonsils, the right, never has fully gone down. I have only had them inflame once or twice afterwards and although the one tonsil is always sticking out a little (about a quarter of my throat), it never really bothers me. I went to an ENT last year and he said if it doesn't bother me, don't do anything about it.

Well, this past weekend, got sick. Not totally sure, but probably flu related. Got over it for the most part yesterday, except my throat was still very scratchy and felt bruised and my tonsil has been sticking out to at least where my uvula hangs down - half my throat, and also feels a little bruised. I have also had a lot of mucus in my throat. Today, I was trying to suck the mucus out (I know, gross) and a big chunk of something came out.....a tonsil. < edited > As soon as that happened, I actually felt like a hole opened up in my mouth and it immediately felt much better. I told my wife, she told me to gargle with salt water just incase of bleeding, but it pretty much feels exactly the same.

Should I be worried?

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-03-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Please do not post links to pictures or images. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
(female)

GatorGirl916 HB User
Re: Actual piece of tonsil came off today

No, I wouldn't be worried. Same thing happened to me back in February. I had a nasty nasty case of strep throat and ended up coughing up a chunk of pink tonsil tissue (yum!). The doctor said it was because it was because it was such a bad case of strep throat and I had let it go by untreated for so long (I usually just let myself heal on my own) that the bacteria had actually started eating away at the tonsil tissue. Once I was all healed, the only change was that the tonsil had noticeable chunk gone.

However, I had my tonsils removed about 3 months after that so I can't tell you if there were any long-term complications from it, but I'm sure you're fine. When I got my lab report back regarding my removed tonsils, it turned out that the tonsil with the chunk off was 2 grams lighter than my other. Not sure if that was because of the piece that coughed up or just that it was naturally smaller. Either way, eww.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

kiwi girl 10 HB User
Smile Re: Actual piece of tonsil came off today

Just adding to these comments as this happened to me. I believe I had recurring tonsilitis over a couple of months and the anti-bs given by my doctor clearly didnt help. Anyway, I think while I was sleeping I had quite a blocked throat and felt like I couldnt breathe but then I swalllowed something (sounds gross) and afterwards felt much better. In fact was improved. When I returned to the doctor he was baffled, one of my tonsils had disappeared!! So there you go it can happen.

Closed Thread