It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

Missy7 HB User
Question Tonsil stones...confused, need help pls

OK...I've had bad breath for a few months now. I also had chronic candida, currently in the process of being treated. I also had quite a lot of dental issues which after many visits to the dentist and plenty fillings, finally ended with the extraction of my wisdom teeth 2 weeks ago. They were pretty much the very last dental problem so in regards to oral health, I should no longer have any reason to fear is causing the bad breath.

I floss, scrape and brush my tongue and mix tea tree oil with water as a gargle. Although the holes in my gums where the wisdom teeth once were haven't healed 100%, I fear the bad breath may still be there even afterwards. I have my days where I can still feel the staleness in my mouth and a heavy breath.

I know that candida can be a culprit in causing bad breath and it certainly hasn't helped having to take antibiotics after my teeth extractions as it tends to kill good bacteria and boost candida. I do have a thin white film on my tongue which got worse after the antibiotics and I scrape away like a mad woman twice a day.

After reading quite a few posts on this board regarding tonsil stones, I checked my tonsils. Now this is where I get a bit confused... Last week, with the help of herbal meds to boost my immune system, I just made it through a mild cold without it knocking me out. I still have a little burning on the back of my nose and throat but nothing too uncomfortable. So, after reading about tonsil stones and checking my own tonsils with a flashlight; I noticed small white dots on both tonsils. I tried wiping at them with a Q-tip but I gag like crazy so I gave up.

This morning I checked again and I noticed there are more spots. However they look more like infection, small pus filled sacks - which I used to get everytime I got a cold or a sore throat. I tried the Q-tip again and this time I was able to burst a small one. It was definitely pus, not like the ''stones'' that I read about people pushing them out of the cravices with their fingers etc. Plus my tonsils have a fairly smooth surface, I only have 2 small cravices towards the top of my right tonsil but there's nothing in them.

Does this mean I have tonsil stones or could it be related to my mild cold? I know I'll monitor them over the next few weeks but I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on a matter I'm not too familiar with. I know I still have to get over the candida and the healing of my wisdom teeth before I can confirm the bad breath is still there or not but just wondering if the problem persists.

Thank you all for your time!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

AngelEve13 HB User
Re: Tonsil stones...confused, need help pls

These are not tonsil stones. This sounds more like an infection I would go seek and ENT for help.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
(female)

swimmer17 HB User
Re: Tonsil stones...confused, need help pls

That would definitely be an infection. A tonsil stone is very hard. It wouldn't be possible to burst them and if you were wiping them with a q-tip, it would move or fall off if it was a tonsil stone (although you can't always get the tonsil stones to come out easily).

I know tonsillitis can cause what you have to happen so it could be that or it could just be the cold you had. A round of antibiotics from your family doc or an ENT would probably clear that right up. Or you could probably wait it out and it might go away on it's own.

Closed Thread