It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
(male)

bhbest HB User
chronic sore throat and cough over a week now!

About 10 days ago I went to see my GP regarding a sore throat that was pretty bad. Basically just swollen tonsils and pain swallowing. My doctor examined me and basically said I had some sort of viral pharyngitis. He prescribed me Zithromax (5 days) and told me to wait 2 days and if the symptoms persisted to fill the prescription. Well I waited the 48 hours and the sore throat was basically gone. The I woke up the next morning and I felt as though it had spread further into the back of my throat and I developed a dry hacking type of dry cough. My throat was still basically not hurting, but by about 2 days later the sore throat came back and the cough is pretty bad. I am coughing up green phlegm and it seems as though as the day progresses the cough and sore throat worse. It has been. Filled the RX of zithromax and it seems that it did not help. I went back to see my doctor this past Wednesday and he basically just examined me again told me my lungs were clear and I did not have a fever and just prescribed me an inhaler (albuterol) and tussicaps cough pills. His instructions were the same if your not better in a few days come back. I do not want to keep going through this. It has been over a week of this now. I have the same symptoms and have not gotten any better. My tonsils seem swollen and I have a severe cough that gets worse by nightfall every day and keeps me up. Still coughing up green phlegm. Should I go see another doctor? Is it possible I have a bacterial infection that just needs a stronger longer course of anti biotic. Please advise. I am an ex-smoker that quit about year ago, and I also suffer from chronic rhinitis and take flonase nose spray daily. I do suffer from occasional tonsil stones and I do find my tonsils are particullarly foul smelling when I touch my tongue to them and to my skin the odor it leaves is brutal.

Last edited by bhbest; 06-04-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
(male)

bhbest HB User
Re: chronic sore throat and cough over a week now!

Oh well no replies, I guess no one has a clue what it is. My doctor apparently didn't either, just keeps saying if it's not better in a few days I want to hear from ya. After over 3 weeks, with on again off again sore throat and cough, and 2 doctor visits I went to an ENT. He did a scope on me and looked down my throat and examined my sinuses. RX, some Prilosec, a nasal rinse therapy called a Netti pot? and new anti-biotics called Cefdinir (Omnicef), 15 days worth. I saw him Tuesday am, and its now Friday night and I am 95 percent (knock on wood) better, the best I have felt in 3 weeks, sore throat gone and cough just about gone. I think we finally got this thing licked. Basically some sort of a drug resistant bacterial infection was going through me the whole time cause the Zithromax didn't do a thing,and now the new antibiotic is kicking it out of me hopefully for good.

Last edited by bhbest; 06-18-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Glad to hear things are going well for you! Make sure you eat some yogurt or you'll end up with thrush from all of the antibiotics. Keep gargling and the netti pot works great for me!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
(male)

bhbest HB User

Thanks. I just got a Netti Pot and am about to try it out today or tomorrow. The only thing bothering me now is a little bit of an irritating cough still lingering. It gets worse towards nightfall and doesn't seem to dissipating at all. At least the sore throat is gone.

Closed Thread