It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
(male)

discoducknc HB User
Tonsillectomy Scabs

Hey guys. I'm 29 years old and had a tonsillectomy on 01 June 10 so I guess this is day 5 after. I've noticed that the swelling to my uvula and tongue. It still hurts a bit to swallow although some are worse than others. Now I'm starting to feel something scratching and tickling the back of my tongue and it keeps waking me up and I have a brief coughing fit. I'm assuming those are the scabs coming off. When I look at my throat in the mirror there doesn't seem to be much change in the white stuff. Do the scabs just fall off? Do they dissolve? Is it as painful as I read about? Any help and support would be greatly appreciated since I'm going through this alone. Everyone I asked to stay a week with me while I recovered couldn't do it.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

brittpinkie HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Scabs

Hi there! I'm sure you've figured out by now what that was in your throat- scabs falling off and all that. Sorry you didn't have anyone stay with you-I had my tonsillectomy on the same day as you and I went home for the week (I turn 23 on the 15th, and live on my own) to stay with my mother. It definitely was helpful to have someone check on me. Since we had our surgeries the same day, I was wondering if you're still in pain or how you're doing? It's been a really rough recovery for me...today is day 13/14 and I'm still in quite a bit of pain...I can't eat anything really, but soup. It kinda feels like strep now, but my scabs itch (which is weird) and I'm ready for them to fall off! How are you doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
(female)

cmkazmer HB User

Hey, I am 23 years old and I got my tonsils out on the 11th... so I am on day 4 now, Can you tell me more about these scabs that are going to hurt/fall off/dross me out. I've read so much and from what I hear, it gets worse while they are falling off before it gets better again. I was already in the ER 2 nights ago. I was feeling ok the first day, but I think its bc I still was under anesthesia, the second and third day were awful... and today has been better (still sucks) but better.... Britt... I see that you are at 2 weeks and you say that you are still eating soups?! You can't eat food yet?! This is so upsetting. Did you have your post-sergury apt. with your ENT doctor or whoever suggested the surgery?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
(female)

queentater HB User

Cmkazmer, the scabs will smell terrible if you had your tonsils lasered. Whatever you do, dont try to force the scabs off, this could cause terrible bleeding. It might hurt overall but you wont be like ahh theres a scab and that place suddenly hurts, well if it does you ripped something. And yes, it gets worse before it gets better. And it might gross you out, I felt gross could I could feel them flaking off.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
(female)

flirty30 HB User

I'm 29 and just had my tonsils removed on the 14th...so it's been exactly a week. I've found the pain goes up and down. I was eating semi-solid foods around day 5 (peas, boiled chicken, soft eggs, breads...) It was painful, but as long as I ate after I took pain meds it was manageable. I thought I was in the clear pain-wise. Then I guess the scabs began to fall because for the past 2 days the only thing I could manage to swallow has been water and ice cubes...and even that brought me to tears for the first time during this whole ordeal. I had to call my doctor's office to call in another pain prescription.

I agree that the scabs, though painless, leave a terrible taste in my mouth. I can see slightly pink blotches where they've fallen off. The pain is manageable with the meds, but I'm still unable to eat and now have a terrible ringing in my ears with every swallow. I'm hoping it won't get worse as the scabs fall. :-s

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

wallaj HB User

Hi, I had mine out June 9th. I'm not quite to the magical 14th day yet, but am feeling much better. I saw my ent yesterday for thrush, and asked if my scabs were off. She said that they don't actually 'fall off', but that the new tissue sort of heals over.She said that until day 14 gets here, you can still rebleed, so you have to 'go easy.' I've been eating lots of noodles, soups, baked potatoes, eggs,anything soft. Hang in there. I'm 57 and so excited that I finally did this.Take care, Wallaj

Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

queentater HB User

Flirty 30: Seems like its the worse itll be at. Just remember it gets better, I promise. If you dare, gum might help with the ears and keeping the throat moist through swallowing.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
(female)

chanta901 HB User

Hello everybody. My tonsillectomy was performed on Thursday, July 1, 2010. Today is my 6th day of recovery. Day 1, which was right the surgery, I was in the recovery room cracking jokes with my brother. I woke right up from the anesthesia. No nausea or pain at all. I was extremely thirsty though. The nurse had to bring me like 3 cups of apple juice and 1 cup of water. At that point, the nurse said that I was ok for departure. I was like, "Wow is that it?" SO the surgery was a breeze. I was given a prescription of liquid amoxicillan, liquid hydrocone, and suppositories. I stayed with my brother a couple of days and basically slept my entire day away. Day 2 and day 3 were simple because I stayed on top of my meds and stayed hydrated. I was extremely hungry on day 4 so I ate mashed potatoes and spinach. I was quite successful. I left my brother's house on day 3 because I thought that I was home free. Sike! Day 5 is when the pain kicked in. My ears were aching and my throat was extremely sore. I felt like I had started all over again with the healing process. Today, is day 6 for me. It is 5:30am and I was awakened by throat and ear pains. This was my third time waking up so I decided to stay up. The hydrocodone only works for about 2 hours and then I am back in pain. I drinks over a gallon of water each day along with apple juice, fruit punch, and popsicles. I am not dehydrated, yet I am in so much pain. I read in a few other threads that days 5-8 are the hardest because this is the time when your throat is healing and the scabs are preparing to fall off. I took a flashlight and looked in the back of my throat and was disgusted. Those scabs are wet and gooey. I will call my ent this morning to see if I can get something extra to take of this new pain. I can feel the scabs in my throat so I know that the time for them to come off is near.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
(male)

mrandej8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirty30 View Post
I'm 29 and just had my tonsils removed on the 14th...so it's been exactly a week. I've found the pain goes up and down. I was eating semi-solid foods around day 5 (peas, boiled chicken, soft eggs, breads...) It was painful, but as long as I ate after I took pain meds it was manageable. I thought I was in the clear pain-wise. Then I guess the scabs began to fall because for the past 2 days the only thing I could manage to swallow has been water and ice cubes...and even that brought me to tears for the first time during this whole ordeal. I had to call my doctor's office to call in another pain prescription.

I agree that the scabs, though painless, leave a terrible taste in my mouth. I can see slightly pink blotches where they've fallen off. The pain is manageable with the meds, but I'm still unable to eat and now have a terrible ringing in my ears with every swallow. I'm hoping it won't get worse as the scabs fall. :-s
Hi Im a 21 year old male and had my tonsils out on July 23, 2010. I just wanted to post this for anyone who is concerned or scared to have them removed. I read a lot of blogs and it terrified me. I just want people to know that if you do all things suggested to you, the pain is manageable. First off DRINK DRINK DRINK, and for the first fews days use a heating pad because the your neck (or atleast mine), back and ears will throb and be very sore. The pain is not as nearly as bad as it was the second day (the first day i was still numb and i figured this would be a cake walk. I have found that the hardest part of all this is waking up in the morning and just remembering and forcing yourself to eat, drink and sleep. I do know that when the scabs begin to fall off, probably tomorrow, it will get much worse again. With my doctors permission, i have began to take my Roxicet (liquid oxycodone) every three hours instead of four. I would like to say that this has been a terrible experience, but most of the bad parts were due to me not eating, sleeping,drinking, but most importantly not taking my pain meds regularly, even at night. I have gone to stay with my dad for 2 weeks (i live alone), and he wakes me up at night to give me my meds ( good guy!). Last thing i want to say is if your on the fence along with your doctor about to have it done or not, think it through. This is a bad experience, nothing like what a child will experience. But take it day by day and everything is all good. Not having strept and tonsillitis will be nice, since i cannot miss classes again next semester. Thanks everyone for the positive posts, it helped me make the decision to go through with it. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. DRINK DRINK DRINK SLEEP EAT EAT EAT

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
(male)

mrandej8 HB User

forgot to say, here are good foods to eat other than popsicles:
apple sauce, baby food, squash, rotisserie chicken dipped in butter, watermelon, italian ice, sweet potatoes, NAKED's GET NAKEDS saved my life, and finally i found ice cold gatorade easier to drink than water.

Closed Thread