It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
(male)

Danny G HB User
Question Left ear feels stuffed and 'ringing' sound to it

Hi. This is my first time ever visiting here and i hope to get some good answers.
This could be a very long read so please bear with me as i try to be as clear as possible.

So let's begin.
Last week ( 31st May '10 - Monday ), i got up to a scary blocked feeling in my left ear. It feels like cabin pressure when you're in a plane, or, you're underwater. The night before that was fine. So i quickly got my wife to shine a light in my ear to see if there's anything lodged in there - say, an insect or something. She saw nothing unusual. I quickly went to the clinic and the doctor told me it's rather red on the inside of my left ear and gave me an ear-drop (Fracitin - Framycetin Sulf 0.5%). She also said if it persists, come back in a week time.
(Edit : Forgot to mention that i had a pretty bad case of fever and cold a week prior to my first visitation)

I did everything i was told and went back to the clinic yesterday (8 days after the initial visit) due to the fact that the 'clogged' feeling seems to be getting worse. This time, it's got a 'ringing' tone to it. During the evening when it's quiet, the 'ringing' seems to be getting a lot louder. So, I was seen by a different doctor this time. He took a look in both my ears and said it 'might' (hate it when a doctor is not sure) be fungal infection. I really don't like this doctor as he seems to be unsure about a lot of things during my one visit with him yesterday. He prescribed me with a different ear-drop this time. It's Candazole Clotrimazole 1.0%.

I know i'm supposed to give it time to work but as said, the doctor seems to be a little dodgy and unsure about a lot of things when asked.
Is it something i should be concerned about? I thought about going to a hospital to get a thorough check. Who knows if it could be something serious and if i were to wait some time for the medication to work, it could get worse and i might go deaf. Or maybe i should relax as it's nothing too serious? I did a little big of Google-ing and a lot says it could be wax. Both doctors looked into my ear and said it's not. Anybody have a similar scenario?

Thanks for reading and hoping to get some response.

Cheers

Last edited by Danny G; 06-08-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
(male)

cally1 HB User
Re: Left ear feels stuffed and 'ringing' sound to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny G View Post
Hi. This is my first time ever visiting here and i hope to get some good answers.
This could be a very long read so please bear with me as i try to be as clear as possible.

So let's begin.
Last week ( 31st May '10 - Monday ), i got up to a scary blocked feeling in my left ear. It feels like cabin pressure when you're in a plane, or, you're underwater. The night before that was fine. So i quickly got my wife to shine a light in my ear to see if there's anything lodged in there - say, an insect or something. She saw nothing unusual. I quickly went to the clinic and the doctor told me it's rather red on the inside of my left ear and gave me an ear-drop (Fracitin - Framycetin Sulf 0.5%). She also said if it persists, come back in a week time.
(Edit : Forgot to mention that i had a pretty bad case of fever and cold a week prior to my first visitation)

I did everything i was told and went back to the clinic yesterday (8 days after the initial visit) due to the fact that the 'clogged' feeling seems to be getting worse. This time, it's got a 'ringing' tone to it. During the evening when it's quiet, the 'ringing' seems to be getting a lot louder. So, I was seen by a different doctor this time. He took a look in both my ears and said it 'might' (hate it when a doctor is not sure) be fungal infection. I really don't like this doctor as he seems to be unsure about a lot of things during my one visit with him yesterday. He prescribed me with a different ear-drop this time. It's Candazole Clotrimazole 1.0%.

I know i'm supposed to give it time to work but as said, the doctor seems to be a little dodgy and unsure about a lot of things when asked.
Is it something i should be concerned about? I thought about going to a hospital to get a thorough check. Who knows if it could be something serious and if i were to wait some time for the medication to work, it could get worse and i might go deaf. Or maybe i should relax as it's nothing too serious? I did a little big of Google-ing and a lot says it could be wax. Both doctors looked into my ear and said it's not. Anybody have a similar scenario?

Thanks for reading and hoping to get some response.

Cheers

Sounds to me like you may have a eustachain tube issue. I would try a few simple, safe and noninvasive things to help clear it up...

1. Take along hot shower and let the steam work its way into your ears - could be a sinus infection or ET tubes are compressed sue to cold or allergy.

2. Fill a large bowl with piping hot water. Add several drops of and place a few drops of Eucalyptus oil - avail at a a health food store - - place a towel over your head and breath in (through your mouth) for 5-10 minutes twice a day.

3. Do you have allergies? if you think you might, try sudafed D for a week and if no improvement try Zyrtec and see if you things get better.

4. Concurrent with the above get yourself some 4 Way nasal spray

5. Have you ever used a Netti pot? - if not, look it up and try it!

Best of luck!!!

Barry

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
(male)

cally1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cally1 View Post
Sounds to me like you may have a eustachain tube issue. I would try a few simple, safe and noninvasive things to help clear it up...

1. Take a long hot shower and let the steam work its majic - could be a sinus infection or ET tubes are compressed due to cold or allergy.

2. Fill a large bowl with piping hot water. Add several drops of Eucalyptus oil - avail at a a health food store - - place a towel over your head and breath in (through your mouth) for 5-10 minutes twice a day.

3. Do you have allergies? if you think you might, try sudafed D for a week and if no improvement try Zyrtec D and see if you things get better.

4. Concurrent with the above get yourself some 4 Way nasal spray- non Rx avail at your pharmacy. Donlt take this for more than 6 days at a time. Nasonex is better but you'll need an Rx. for that.

5. Have you ever used a Netti pot? - if not, look it up and try it!

Best of luck!!!

Barry

Last edited by cally1; 06-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
(male)

mrgadget HB User

DannyG, how's you ear now?

Closed Thread