It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

queentater HB User
Unknow white coating on Tongue

I had constant swollen tonsils that lead to getting a tonsillectomy. After the tonsillectomy day 8 to be exact I have had this painless white coating on my tongue. I went for a check-up and they have never heard of someone getting thrush after cautirized(sp?) tonsil removal. I have also had constant post nasal drip that gets annoying. Any tips/ideas to what this is? I have also had one enlarged lymph node that my doctor said is normally caused by mono but I had a mono test and it was negative.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
(male)

Garbro HB User
Re: Unknow white coating on Tongue

I had a friend who had the same problem with the white coating on his tongue. Not long ago he went to a doctor and discovered that it was actually a yeast infection growing on his tongue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

Megsays HB User

The white coating on your tongue is nothing to worry about. I had the same thing during my recovery of tonsillectomy last year. You know how you have scabs back there right now? That's what's on your tongue. The fluid your body creates to make scabs on your tonsils is on your tongue too. You can scrape it off with your fingernail if you really are disgusted by it. It won't come off by using a tooth brush and I'd recommend staying away from toothbrushes for a few days (I know GROSS) but you will hurt like heck if you accidently hit your tonsil pits!!! ...

No worries!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
(female)

chanta901 HB User

That white coating is the fungus that is known to to cause a yeast infection in the vaginal area as well. That white stiff on your tongue is oral thrush. I had my tonsilectomy 9 days ago and I too have that ugy white stuff on my tongue. You can not scrape it off! If you try it, then you will make your tongue bleed. I got the oral thrush from taking the liquid antibiotic. That pink stuff. What I wish my doctor would have told me before taking the antibiotics was that I should rinse my mouth out after each dosage. My doctor should have told me to brush my teeth after taking the antibiotic and rinse my with Listerine. Then I could have prevented the oral thrush attack. Now I have to wait until my next appointment, which is next week, so that I can receive a prescription for this fungus on my tongue. My aunt told me to starting yogurt and rinsing my mouth out with warm salt water until my appointment arrives.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

queentater HB User

But the things is Im 3-4 months out of having my tonsils taken out, and my tongue does not hurt and if I scrape it it will not bleed or come off.

Closed Thread