It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

septem HB User
Bad post nasal drip after uvula surgery

Ever since I had UP3 surgery (uvuala removal, palate trimmed, deviated septum fixed and tonsils removed) in Sept. '09, I have had constant post nasal drip.
I never had allergies before this time. (I am 57)

I have tried every over the counter allergy med with no effect (except some relief with lots of benadryl at bedtime). Also tried several RX allergy meds with no relief.

A 2nd ENT doc says it is silent reflux and put me on Nexium. Does that make any sense to anybody? Said my nose looks fine... the mucus constantly in my throat does not taste like stomach acid and I have no stomach problems...heartburn or anything. I will continue on Nexium and see what happens.

Has anybody experienced this kind of thing? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

MaeBenedita HB User
Smile Re: Bad post nasal drip after uvula surgery

Hello I hope it's not too late to respond to your post. After I had septal perforation surgery performed in 2008 I notice too that I have symptoms that might be silent acid reflux disease instead of post nasal drip. I have been on every allergy mediction known to man plus I've seen an allergist and a pulmonologist all to no avail. I was reading up on silent acid reflux disease and lo and behold I have a lot of the symptoms - post nasal drip,throat irritation,voice problems and now lately tonsil stones. How has that Nexium been working for you because I'd like to try it since I tried everything including Nasonex and nothing works for me? Also do you know if there is a test you can take to determine if you have silent acid reflux disease and do I go to my regular doctor or the ENT doctor who performed my septal perforation surgery if there is a test that I have to take? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me cause this is driving me nuts and have been going on for two years now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

septem HB User
Re: Bad post nasal drip after uvula surgery

Thanks for your response, MaeBenedita. You know what this mess is like. Although your surgery was different, you are having the post-nasal drip. I don't know about tonsil stones...sounds yucky.
You ask good questions. I actually stopped the Nexium, as I thought I could find a cheaper substitute. I have been taking generic Prilosec and it may help a little. I am considering going back to Nexium. Saw my 1st doc, the surgergy ENT, the other day, explained my situation and he thinks going to 40mg of Nexium may help. (I was on 20 -- he says he has some patients on 2 x 40).

One thing that mystifies me is that this yuck in my throat doesn't appear at all to be stomach acid ... there is no stomach acid taste...it just acts like phlegm. There is a strange condition. I will be happy to share information with you. Best wishes.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-06-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

MaeBenedita HB User
Angry Re: Bad post nasal drip after uvula surgery

Well in my case I am trying to figure out if I have post nasal drip or silent acid reflux disease and how can one tell the difference? With acid reflex there is the mucus in the throat,tonsil stones,hoarseness of voice. Do you have a feeling of alway having mucus in your throat especially in the morning when you wake up? I just suspect in my case it might be silent acid reflux disease that might be mimicing some of the symptoms of post nasal drip cause my post nasal drip doesn't respond to any medications for it. I saw my ENT in June and he told me not to try Mucinex and I did to no avail. My pulmonologist told me to try several different forms of Benadryl which I did still to no avail. This problem is really annoying and makes me feel like I am sick all of the time.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
(male)

Stephen Borg HB User
Re: Bad post nasal drip after uvula surgery

Hello in August 2010 I had partial Uvula trimming. The surgeon trimmed half my uvula. Ever since I have suffered from Troat Irritation, Tonsil Stones and lately I have Post Nasal Drip. This makes me really uncomfortable. Is there any connection between Uvula trimming and all these aliments that I am suffering from. I hope anyone can help and how did you get rid of your post nasal drip. Thanks.

Closed Thread