It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
(male)

Cluelessluke HB User
Literally, Worst Sore Throat of My Life.

So, here's the story. Went on a date with a girl. End of date roles around, I lean in for a kiss and she stops me and says "I've had a pretty bad sore throat, I don't want to get you sick." Me, being the stubborn *** I am, take that to mean that she just doesn't want a kiss, so I kiss her out of spite (later, turns out she really did want a kiss but that story leads into the VD section...) jk.

Anyway, now I have this sore throat. Everyone must understand, if this was just any old sore throat I would man up and deal with it.

This is not any normal sore throat. This is going to be the thing that ends my life (or so it feels).

First off, the pain isn't "down" the throat. It's more to the back...where my tonsils are I believe (if I can remember my 7th grade anatomy teacher correctly...but he also told us it's normal to take Advil before going on runs...).

When I swallow (especially in the morning and night) I have the WORST PAIN IN MY LIFE *knock on wood*

Sometimes the pain migrates to my ears as well, at which point i could swear that my ear drums are about to explode. I can barely drink water or eat the pain is so bad.

Besides a few chest aches here and there, that's it. No dizzy feelings, no temperature (from what I can tell, haven't actually measured), no nauseousness, nada.

Anyone have a clue what is going on here? I have a doctors appointment set up for Thursday but I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Literally, Worst Sore Throat of My Life.

Get a flashlight, get a mirror, stick out your tongue and say ahhh. See what's down there. Anything super-bright red? Any white or funny-colored patches? Are your tonsils asymmetric or swollen?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sounds like a righteous case of tonsilitis...

Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi! I would only stick to one partner. I use bay leaf tea for viral colds and I have had relief from most of my sore throats by a throat irrigation routine. I got an ear irrigation bulb from a local pharmacy. I put 1/2 a teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of very warm water but not hot enough to burn myself. I fill the ear irrigation bulb with the salt water and squish it in and out several times in the salt water to mix it well. After the salt water is well mixed with no salt on the bottom of my cup. I put the tip of the bulb in the top part of my nose in each nostril allowing it to drip in just a bit with my head at a 45 degree angle. When I feel the salt water hit my throat I do the bottom of each nostril. I do not fill my sinuses with it. That happened once or more in my past but my body just absorbed the salt water. Then I squirt the back of the throat all over and without swallowing it I allow it to drain into a sink. I very gently blow my nose into a tissue. If the sore throat is very bad I do this every 15 minutes for an hour or more until relieved. (bacteria generally multiply every 20 minutes) this way they don't have as much of a chance. Some people with chronic sinus problems may have difficulty with this procedure. But I have prevented many a sore throat when someone breathed in my face or my throat became irritated. I also avoid sweets because 6 teaspoons of sugar will lower your immune system for 4-5 hours.
The bay leaf tea is made by simmering water then placing 2 or 3 bay leaves (depending on size) into the hot water. I let sit for 20 minutes and then drink it.
I also try to eat proper food especially grapefruit (I know it stings initially but then later it gets better). I walk in the freshest air available daily, try to sleep 8 hours, drink 2 quarts water daily especially in warm weather. I avoid coffee, caffeinated tea cigarettes, alcoholic beverages,drugs, chemicals and non-food substances in my body. I try to sleep 8 hours a night. It is said every hour slept before midnight is worth 2 hours after midnight. I pray every day and study my Bible. Years ago I had a sore throat every 2 weeks with round after round of antibiotics that didn't seem to help. Now Have maybe 2 colds a year.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

You may have strep throat, this is very contagious. I had it once, and it is very painfull to even swallow water. Check the back of your throat, do you have any white spots? I would go to the doc, if it is strep, you need to be on antibiotics.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI did your sore throat go away? What things did you try?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
(female)

moreisbetter HB User

if I was a betting girl i would agree that it is strep throat!!you need antibiotics so dont wait till thursday!!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-18-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Closed Thread