It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

S Park HB User
Cat Scan causes severe dizziness & headache

About 6 or 7 years ago I had a catscan of my sinuses. When I went to get up from the procedure I couldn't walk straight (severe dizziness) and my head was excruciatingly painful (no dye). I was nauseated. I tried to tell the tech that but he ignored me and walked away. I stumbled (literally) out to my car, no better than a drunk, and started to drive home. I hardly knew which way was up and almost had a deadly accident. I was terribly disoriented.

A few years ago another ENT ordered a sinus catscan. I asked for a recovery room and he became enraged. The catscan never took place and I never went back.

Now I'm going to a new ENT and I already know he will try the same thing. I don't want it. I've had severe allergies with ensuing sinusitis and frequent infections all my life and am not a candidate for surgery due to multi chemical sensitivty among other things. I also have white stuff at the back of my throat and on the tonsils which I fully believe are tonsil stones - my symptoms perfectly match the description.

I only made the appt at the direct insistence of my pulmo (severe allergic asthma). I'm wondering what to tell this new ENT as I suspect the visit will end on a sour note. There was nothing seriously wrong the other time (no polyps and septum was only slightly deviated - not enough to need surgery) except for mild erosion, inflammation, and thickened mucous all caused by chronic allergy and frequent infection. Surgery does cure allergies; especially as bad as I have them.

I'm wondering if it's even worth the co-pay to go and fight with this guy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Cat Scan causes severe dizziness & headache

Quote:
When I went to get up from the procedure I couldn't walk straight (severe dizziness) and my head was excruciatingly painful (no dye). I was nauseated.
If no contrast dye was used in the CT scan, there's no obvious reason why a scan would cause dizziness, pain and disorientation as it is a non-invasive procedure. Is it possible that something other than the scan caused your symptoms?

Quote:
I've had severe allergies with ensuing sinusitis and frequent infections all my life and am not a candidate for surgery due to multi chemical sensitivty among other things.
Why would multi-chemical sensitivity keep you from being a candidate for surgery? Are you specifically sensitive to anesthesia? Unless you have had a bad reaction to anesthesia in the past there's no reason surgery would be a problem (and, in all likelihood, there are other types of anesthesia available that wouldn't cause a reaction).

Quote:
Surgery does cure allergies; especially as bad as I have them.
Actually, it doesn't. Surgery does not cure allergies, though it may help your sinuses drain better. Based on what you describe as the findings of the last CT scan you had, it's unlikely a doctor would recommend surgery (and you should run from any doctor who says that surgery will cure allergies).

Quote:
Only you can make that decision but if you're going in there expecting a fight I suspect you will get one. It sounds like you have some chronic sinus issues that need to be addressed and you really have to make a decision if you want to find an ENT who may help you get better or stay where you are.

A good ENT (and, more importantly, a good allergist) along with a daily regimen of medication and preventive measures, can really help improve those problems, but if you're going to go in there with a chip on your shoulder from the last two ENTs you saw, I wouldn't wast the doctor's time.

Last edited by gcsjr; 06-30-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

It sounds like whatever treatment you have been on for the allergies is not working at all since it turns into sinus infections constantly. Do you live in a high allergy area? I myself would skip the scan and find a doc who can help prevent the sinus drainage, headaches, and head pressure as all of these will cause dizziness from laying flat, gravity can move it. If you have to fight with them to believe you, go to a dif. one. A head scan also affected me, but my problem was in my neck, so it was positional vertigo, I now get my neck worked on at PT. Aside from moving to a warm dry climate, this is the only thing I can think of. Some people actually do move so they can be well. I also have allergies and felt the best I have ever felt in my life when I went on vacation to Vegas. Now back home, I wake feeling drunk every day, almost all summer long. I have head pressure alot, never headaches but am out of it half the day, it does get old. Good luck to you, and I hope you find a doc who listens and can help you.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

One other thing I forgot to mention. You may want to get your neck checked, for tight muscles, and your shoulders. I only had a problem in certain positions, I would get very dizzy. But your symptoms of dizziness and headache could be coming from the muscles in your upper back and neck, this is positional vertigo, and if this is it, comes from tightened neck muscles.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Kelstarr80 HB User

I, too, have had BPPV and vertigo for several years and recently was turned away from a CAT scan and a none-too-happy attendant because I couldn't stay still lying flat on my back/head to even begin the scan - vertigo was already starting and I simply can't sit still when it violently hits. Although I've had the vertigo for years I've only recently developed chronic sinusitis ... not sure if the cause is seasonal or food allergy-related.

I HAVE found, however, that using a saline-irrigation system for the nose (bought over-the-counter at a local pharmacy) has done wonders for the sinusitis. It's non-evasive and doesn't cause any dizziness or vertigo either, unlike a CAT scan which will in most cases not reveal a whole lot we don't already know

Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
(male)

Alex4Carmen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Park View Post
About 6 or 7 years ago I had a catscan of my sinuses. When I went to get up from the procedure I couldn't walk straight (severe dizziness) and my head was excruciatingly painful (no dye). I was nauseated. I tried to tell the tech that but he ignored me and walked away. I stumbled (literally) out to my car, no better than a drunk, and started to drive home. I hardly knew which way was up and almost had a deadly accident. I was terribly disoriented.

A few years ago another ENT ordered a sinus catscan. I asked for a recovery room and he became enraged. The catscan never took place and I never went back.

Now I'm going to a new ENT and I already know he will try the same thing. I don't want it. I've had severe allergies with ensuing sinusitis and frequent infections all my life and am not a candidate for surgery due to multi chemical sensitivty among other things. I also have white stuff at the back of my throat and on the tonsils which I fully believe are tonsil stones - my symptoms perfectly match the description.

I only made the appt at the direct insistence of my pulmo (severe allergic asthma). I'm wondering what to tell this new ENT as I suspect the visit will end on a sour note. There was nothing seriously wrong the other time (no polyps and septum was only slightly deviated - not enough to need surgery) except for mild erosion, inflammation, and thickened mucous all caused by chronic allergy and frequent infection. Surgery does cure allergies; especially as bad as I have them.

That's funny, i just had my CT Scan done yesterday for Sinus evaluation, and the same thing happened to me. an hour later started having severe headaches, which was not very common for me to suffer from this kind of headaches. Additionally, my eyes were red and poppy. i sent my doctor an email requesting to investigate the cause. The procedure itself took about 10 minutes. I believe 10 minute procedure for sinus alone is far too long. my first CT was for my abdomen and sinus and yet didn't take more than 5 minutes. Also there were 2 technicians present. this time was only one technician. the procedure was done without an injection. a couple of hours later after the procedure, i had 3 Heinekens, and Heineken has the tendency to cause headaches when you have more than 3. However, in my case 3 heinekens never gave me such an unbearable headache. What really pushed me to the edge was, it started suddenly and unusual type of pain, that was giving me those piercing sensation all over my head. that's why i got confused and started suspecting the CT scan. redness of my eyes also added things together for my suspicion of CT Scan. From what i know, the CT Scan uses high density of radiation, i don't see why it shouldn't cause the headaches if the actual scanning duration takes longer than prescribed. Today's medicine is incompetent. Often i have to tell my doctor what to do. and he's my 5th doctor. when you complain from your spinal pains they refer to a physical therapist, and physical therapist gives you an exercise instructions booklet to exercise. and if complain about your sinus they just give you nasal spray. never mind you have solids in your forehead. i had a bad dream a night before the CT, i swear i was bouncing back and forth, whether i should go for the procedure or not, but i end up going and made my dream come in true. in my dream i was on a rooftop and saw lots of snakes or garden ills popping from the roof. every time i see reptiles in my dream, something unpleasant will occur. usually a sickness or bad news. eating food in my dream for me is a mild sickness, and eating uncooked bloody meat is a serious sickness. climbing up an altitude and reaching the top is success, but climbing halfway and falling back is no success. a dead relative in my dream usually to be bad weather. i do believe in all of my dreams because they occur. sorry to bore you with my dreams. i am sure many of you have experienced many dreams that came in true, good or bad. thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
(male)

nejcc HB User

hey alexcarmen i have preety much the same consequences as you now. i had 2 xray scans and ct scan of my skull done in 1 hour.. when did u start to feel better?

thanks

Closed Thread