It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Narrow ear canal and ?Cholesteatoma

Is there any implications for having a narrowed ear canal?
My ENT dr says that my right ear canal is very narrowed. I do have a few episodes of ear infection when I was young.
How did the canal become narrow?
Will I have loss of hearing or difficulty in hearing?

My dr also found some weird infection going on in my left ear. It's a mass of infection, he said. It has blood in it too. He did some suction to clear the infection a bit and put me on antibiotics. I also needed a CT scan of my L temporal bone. Any one has info on cholesteatoma of the external auditory canal?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

tammierm HB User
Re: Narrow ear canal and ?Cholesteatoma

Sorry you are having this trouble. ET dysfunction leads to many troubles. I have ETD and have been dealing with troubles for 8 years. I have no idea why they narrow, but my guess is we were born that way. My ENT states there is very little that can be done. He said they have tried balloon like they do in the heart, and stints but concluded that it damages the canal. I asked yesterday why they couldn't put a rotorooter in there! lol....he didn't think that was very funny. Mastoid infection is probably what they are looking for in the CT. I hope that is not what he finds, but if so, at least he is looking for it and will get it treated so you will feel better.

Just fyi. my problems due to the ETD include frequest ear infections, multiple tubes which did nothing but cause hole in eardrum, mastoid infection/mastoidectomy, cholesteatoma and patched eardrum that had to be surgically corrected, meniers' disease, irreversible conductive hearing loss, negative ear pressure. Other than decongestants there is very little to help ETD. I did agree to one more tube last year but it didn't work. He put in his report yesterday that he thinks the mastoid infection has recurred but he put me on a series of steroids to try to dry up some fluid and we will go from there. Anxious to see how that works, but I hate steroids.

Sounds like your dr. is looking in all the right places and being very thorough . Good doctors are hard to find so consider yourself lucky. Took me 5 years to find a dr that investigated my problems to find the source.

You have to be your own health advocate. Good luck and keep us informed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread