It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
(female)

chessypuff101 HB User
Teenager with one really swollen tonsil for over a year. Please help!

*EDIT: The title's meant to say "one", not "oe". Sorry!*
Hey guys!
I'm coming to you today to ask about my swollen tonsil.

Before we get started, let me specify that I'm a 15 (well, 16 in a few days :P ) year old girl. I am quite overweight, but otherwise have not had any severe past health issues.

I'm not sure how long I've had this swollen tonsil for, but I noticed it over a year ago - maybe even two. It has never caused me any pain or discomfort, so I didn't think much of it.
I have not had any other alarming symptoms, just this swelling! It's huge, to the point that it's touching my uvula. My other tonsil is completely normal.
It is not discoloured, and there are no white bits (as far as I can see, anyway). One concern I have is the fact that there appears to be another lot of flesh (exactly the same colour) growing over my tonsil. It doesn't stand out a lot from the rest of my tonsil. I'm not sure if this is normal for a tonsil to have, so sorry if it is!
I have attached a picture of what it looks like (I can't seem to get a decent photograph).

My dad's recent diagnose of leukaemia (Ph+ ALL) has made me more concerned about my health and the chances of it being serious.

Could this possibly be lymphoma? Is there any link between my dad's leukaemia and the chance of the swelling being malignant?
What are the chances of this just being an infection? I mean, I have had it for over a year - wouldn't that mean most infections would have caused me pain or have disappeared by now?

Any suggestions could be helpful!
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonsil diagram.JPG (5.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by chessypuff101; 07-12-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
(female)

queentater HB User
Re: Teenager with oe really swollen tonsil for over a year. Please help!

No lymphonia would be in your lymph glands near the skin, so no it is VERY unlikly that it is. I do not think there would be a link but having only one tonsil swell up like that is rare and probably issues a vist to your doctor. I am pretty sure its not an infection because it has been that long and yes most infections are painful or would have gone away. I would suggest for you to research 'hypertrophy in tonsils' to see if its like what you have. Also the flesh over the tonsil is NOT normall and for that reason it would be good to have it looked at by a doctor. Good wishes and prayers go out to your dad.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

brendaaa HB User
Re: Teenager with one really swollen tonsil for over a year. Please help!

Hello, i am a 15 year old that had my tonsils out about 5 days ago. I suffered from chronic tonsillitis since the end of 2009, and the doctors could not identify the infection. After getting them removed, I am in quite a bit of pain, but really happy I did it. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about getting yours removed! During the operation, my doctor realized that my tonsils were in much worse condition than anyone imagined. My throat condition was almost identical to yours. One tonsil was swollen much more than the other. I hope this was helpful, good luck!

Closed Thread