It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
(male)

SomeGuy247 HB User
Sensitive hearing

Hi people

I have a sensitive hearing issue. Things like knives hitting on plates or hard typing makes my ears sort of vibrate or reverberate inside my ears, or just the TV, certain frequencies do it.

Does anyone else have this? Does anyone know of a way to help or solve it?

SomeGuy

Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
(female)

Morina HB User
Re: Sensitive hearing

Get some Ear plugs and use those for about 2 days without removing them, then your hearing senstitvity should decrease a little bit, not much but it should cure it enough for this problem.

If it continues, use them for even longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
(male)

SomeGuy247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morina View Post
Get some Ear plugs and use those for about 2 days without removing them, then your hearing senstitvity should decrease a little bit, not much but it should cure it enough for this problem.

If it continues, use them for even longer.
Thank you Morina. I'll try that out and see how it goes.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

madvette HB User

I have the same thing happen to me on occasion. Dr. says it's fluid in the middle ear. He usually gives me an antibiotic and a decongestant. Always seems to help. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
(male)

SomeGuy247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvette View Post
I have the same thing happen to me on occasion. Dr. says it's fluid in the middle ear. He usually gives me an antibiotic and a decongestant. Always seems to help. Good luck.
Thanks madvette

Do you know what antibiotic and decongestant works?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

madvette HB User

My doctor usually gives me 500mg of Amoxicillin and Allegra D. I also use Nasonex once a day. I hope this helps. I take the twice a day Allegra D though, instead of the once a day (be sure to ask for that if you decide to ask your dr). That way I have more control since it has pseudoephedrine in it, which will keep you wired if you take it twice a day. But there are nights when I do have to take it, then I only get about 3-4 hours of sleep. But believe me, sometimes it's worth it. Just be sure to drink a lot of water with it. Have you ever been diagnosed with TMJ? There's a board on here just for that. You should check it out. There's a posting that explains the symtoms that is well worth reading. I was diagnosed about 1 1/2 ago. I actually went to the ENT for ear problems, he told me it was TMJ. But that was a different ear issue. I'm beginning to wonder if what you and I both have is related to that. I've made a very conscious effort to not clench my teeth for 2 days now, even bought a mouth guard last night. My ears have not bothered me for 2 days! The "stopped up" eustachian tube is no longer stopped up. Just something else to think about. In the meantime, I'll continue with my Allegra D. I hope you find relief soon. Let me know what happens.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
(female)

madvette HB User

If you're only having sensitive ears, though, no other issues, the antibiotic alone will probably do the trick. At least it works for me. I don't think sensitive ears is related to TMJ, but you never know. Good luck, dear.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
(male)

SomeGuy247 HB User

I've never heard of TMJ. I have sensitive hearing occasionally but it's not all the time. I have ringing mainly in one ear often and sporradic ringing in both ears but I don't know if it's related to TMJ. I often have one of my eustachian tubes blocked up which I think may have an effect but I don't know what the solution to that is, maybe it's wax. I don't think I clench my teeth but you think that blocks your eustachian tube? Good to hear your ears are not bothering you so much.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
(female)

madvette HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy247 View Post
I've never heard of TMJ. I have sensitive hearing occasionally but it's not all the time. I have ringing mainly in one ear often and sporradic ringing in both ears but I don't know if it's related to TMJ. I often have one of my eustachian tubes blocked up which I think may have an effect but I don't know what the solution to that is, maybe it's wax. I don't think I clench my teeth but you think that blocks your eustachian tube? Good to hear your ears are not bothering you so much.
You would not believe what clenching my teeth has done to me! Apparently I've been doing it for a very long time without even realizing it. TMJ is Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. And it can wreak havoc on you! After doing some research, I have found that it is the cause of all my ear problems. About 15 years ago I started having issues with my left ear, it felt like there was fluid in there and it sounded as though I was in a tunnel when I spoke. But I noticed that when I put my head between my knees it would clear up. As the years went by, it got worse. All the doctors I went to brushed it off as allergies. Boy, were they all wrong! Then I started having ear spasms. An ENT told me "it's probably allergies because I don't see anything wrong, but here's some information on TMJ you might want to look at." This strange stuffy, fluid like feeling in my ear just got worse. What it was, was my eustachian tube was staying open (it's supposed to be closed). When it open like that, when you talk, it sounds like your in a tunnel, and you own voice is very loud in the effected ear, and your heartbeat is very loud, too. Well....In my research, I found that TMJ can cause Eustachian Tube Disorder, which is when the tube stays open. So, for the past 4 days now, I've made a conscious effort to stop clenching.....and guess what??? My ear problems have vanished!!! You may be clenching your teeth in your sleep, or you may even be doing it during the day without realizing it. My dentist always told me "Lips together, teeth apart". I would go to the doctor and just see if it's fluid behind the ear...hopefully that's all it is. Has it gotten worse? Do you have any shooting pains? If the meds he gives you doesn't take care of it, I would start researching TMJ, it can cause all sorts of ugly issues to arise. Keep me posted, let me know what the dr finds.

Closed Thread