It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

Soth HB User
Afrin does nothing?

Have tried 2 different Afrin products the past few days, but there is neither relief nor rebound congestion.
Have they changed their product recently?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Afrin does nothing?

Quote:
Have tried 2 different Afrin products the past few days, but there is neither relief nor rebound congestion.
Have they changed their product recently?
No, they haven't changed their product.

You wouldn't experience rebound congestion in just 2 days (unless you've been taking it daily for an extended period of time).

You don't mention why you were taking it so it's hard to guess as to why it didn't provide some relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

Soth HB User

Using Afrin for swollen turbinates.

The last time Afrin was used is 5 months ago with one spray instantly opening up the nasal passageway resulting in better breathing.

Now, using both ďAfrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal SprayĒ and ďAfrin Original Nasal SprayĒ with 3 sprays into each nostril nothing happens.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm not aware that Afrin is a treatment for swollen turbinates. A steroid spray would be the more likely one. But you may end up needing surgery. Are you seeing an ENT.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
(male)

Soth HB User

Using Fluticasone as a steroid spray which was prescribed by my ENT, it seems to have a slow but effective anti-inflammatory effect. Donít expect Afrin to provide permanent treatment, but it would be nice to have normal breathing once in a while. Afrin did allow normal breathing several months ago but not anymore.

Though unlikely, could either Fluticasone or Nasalcrom be inhibiting Afrinís function?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

While I am sure lots of people have used Afrin effectively, I'm afraid I'm never going to recommend it. I've seen what it can do to people - my sister, specifically, And odd that you should mention it, but Nasalcrom was invented as a tool to get people off Afrin. It's what my sister's doctor had her use for it. I definitely would not be taking them together!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
(male)

steven2984us HB User

Man as a kid, i know this may be hard to believe, but i was seriously addicted to Afrin. I tried it for the first time when i was like 12 or something when my nose was stuffed. It cleared it up good and i got the much needed relief i needed. I ened up using it longer than it was directed 6 days or something. After the bottle was done i keep buying another and another. Its like my nose felt clogged with out it. I think i went several weeks like that til i weened myself off. it was bad

Last edited by steven2984us; 08-02-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Closed Thread