It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
(male)

zcotton HB User
What to eat during recovery from adult tonsillectomy?

Hello all!

I just had my tonsils out yesterday morning, and I was wondering if certain foods are considered acidic. Specifically, I'm wondering about sweetened peach iced tea, and V8 V-Fusion juice (Strawberry-Banana flavor). In addition, I've heard that some soups can be good and that others are not. If someone could give me a short list of recommended soups, I would be very grateful. I'm in a lot of discomfort and I don't think I could get anything chunky down yet. At least I've got my precious, precious hydrocodone!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: to make a new thread - please do not post on old threads

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

yyctonsilless HB User
Re: What to eat during recovery from adult tonsillectomy?

zcotton, welcome to the club. This will end up being one of the best things you've ever done, I promise. I've never felt healthier since having my tonsils out. Stay away from tomato-based and cream-based soups. Tomatoes are highly acidic and will hurt terribly. Cream causes phlegm, which is a bad thing at this stage. Chicken soup should be okay for you, if it isn't initially, try watering it down. Overcooked macaroni and cheese was okay for me, maybe try that!

Really, you'll figure out what is okay and what isn't fairly quickly. I hope you have someone looking after you, and this process will be super annoying to them, but what you tolerate might be very different from the next person.

Truly, the sooner you get back onto normal food, the better off you'll be. I have a friend who forced himself back on solid food inside 3 days and by the end of the first week, was back at work. (I say take the whole 2 weeks!! It's nice to be pampered for once!!) Also, gum, gum, gum. Gum will change your life. The constant saliva production is a godsend.

Hang in there!! Day 11 is an amazing one! And try to remember, this is all worth it. This is the LAST sore throat you're ever going to have!!!! It had to be a good one, right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

I'm 58 and had my tonsils out on July 23. The absolute best thing I've found to eat has been instant mashed potatoes. I've been practically living on them. The first day, I ate things like jello and pop-ice. On Day 2, I discovered that miracle called instant mashed potatoes. I had some trouble keeping that horrible liquid pain medicine down until I started eating some mashed potatoes before and after the meds. My antibiotic was in capsule form and I didn't have any trouble taking it, so on Day 4 I called my ENT and asked to be switched to a pill. So...much...easier for me to take! But, I digress...
  • INSTANT MASHED POTATOES: They've been a Godsend. I thin them with milk when my throat is having a bad day. I also use only half the salt called for. I have them for breakfast every morning and they're part of my lunch and supper every day.
  • BABY FOOD: That's how I added a little meat and veggies/fruit to go with my mashed potatoes.

I tried macaroni & cheese, but little pieces of macaroni would go where no macaroni had gone before. Ack!

Ramen noodles taste good, but they create the same problem as the mac & cheese. It does help if I chew them up real well, then get some water in my mouth to swallow them with. Ditto with cooked-to-death green beans. This would probably also work with the mac & cheese.

As for soups, on Day 3 my husband brought me some potato soup from a local restaurant. Really thick and creamy with big chunks of soft potatoes. I had no problem chewing the potatoes and it went down beautifully and tasted wonderful.

Gum! Gum! Gum! Chew lots of gum!

Last edited by choirgirl; 07-31-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

atexasp HB User

I had my tonsillectomy on August 2. I started with broth and jello. On the second day moved to chicken noodle soup that my sister put in the blender for me (it was still kind of hard to get down). On the third day I ate mac and cheese and some very well chewed, very small pieces of chicken (I needed the protein).

I am at day 6 and I still feel like soft foods are best because things get caught in my throat, but it doesn't hurt to eat anymore. I have not been a huge fan of popsicles because my tongue is still numb and they feel funny (really wanting that numbness to go away).

Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
(female)

yyctonsilless HB User

ATEXASP - I'd put in a call to your ENT to discuss the numbness, maybe it's due to the pain meds and they could put you on something else.

Closed Thread