It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

ratbox HB User
Mucus after Tonsillectomy

Hi there,

I'm a 27yr old guy, and I had my tonsils removed on 7/30/10. Today would be day four of my recovery, and I guess things are going as I expected.

My ENT had told me before the surgery that he would give me some Lortab Elixir, but also some Dilaudid to use for the first 5 times. I explained that Lortab makes me nauseas (or has in the past two times I needed to take it), so he said he'd also give me some Phenergan to deal with that.

The surgery seemed to go ok. It took ages for them to discharge me from the hostpital though because they weren't satisfied with how much I was swallowing. When I eventually got home, I needed to take some pain mediciation (it had turned out that the local pharmacy didn't have enough Dilaudid or Lortab Exilir for me, so my wife had to drive 30 miles away to a walmart that was still open at 7pm). I didn't want to swallow the pills to start with, so I opted for the Lortab but realized I hadn't been given the Phenergan script. I tried the Lortab anyway, and within 30 minutes was over the toilet throwing up all colors of black (I guess the blood from the surgery).

From there on it's been a lot of pain.

Today the pain is moving to my ears. I can't sleep for very long because I wake up with a very dry mouth and in pain, so I'm having to set my alarm for every 2 hours to drink and keep my throat moist.

Swallowing is the hardest thing at the moment. My tongue is swollen, my uvula is swollen and has a white scab on it too. Just swallowing water is a chore. I've tried swallowing mashed potatoes, and that hurts a lot.

Anyway, the thing I needed to get some advice on is this thick mucus I have at the back of my throat. It feels like it just coats everything and it keeps building up. It hurts to keep swallowing it, so every 15 mins or so I have to go to the bathroom and just spit out a mouthful. Is there something I can do to try and cut the mucus? I think if I could get past that the swallowing wouldn't be as hard.

Should I be concerned about the amount of mucus, or the amount of swelling in my mouth?

Sorry for rambling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Mucus after Tonsillectomy

Hate to tell you but you sound normal. This is definitely not a fun sugery to have.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
(male)

ratbox HB User

Is there anything I can do or take to help cut down on this mucus?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Lots of fluids, no dairy are the best way. Also, if you have allergies, take your antihistamines.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
(female)

ladybugrose HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Lots of fluids, no dairy are the best way. Also, if you have allergies, take your antihistamines.
I agree. Have you been eating ice cream? A lot of people do that after this surgery because it can be relieving to the sore throat, but if you have an allergy it definitely can cause mucous.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Try sorbets or popsicles instead of ice cream if you've been eating that.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
(female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User

The mucus is normal, I had that when I had my tonsils taken out (I was 18). If it hurts to swallow it then spitting it out is a good idea. I would call your doctor and let him know that you are having a lot of swelling and ask if he can put you on a steroid such as Prednisone-they are pills but you can crush them up and put them into sorbet. The steroids will reduce the swelling. I ate a lot of ice chips-crushed ice, sorbet and then after a week or 2 I graduated to eating chicken and stars soup (not too hot)-the noodles are tiny little stars which makes them easy to swallow. Also, try not to talk-you may have already noticed how difficult and painful that is. Anything that stresses your throat will make the swelling/pain worse. The pain will subside though and you will be able to eat normal foods again!!

Closed Thread