It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

marthar HB User
Help w/vetigo/possible mienear's disease

Back in March I started to feel dizzy on and off and really off balance. Also have ringing in the ears. Finally went to the doc a month later and had a lot of wax built up. They cleaned out my ears and it did not make it better. I then got referred to see a neurologist. Had mri and ct scan ot the brain. Everything is fine there. Then finally went to ent. He thinks is is possibly minears disease. Have been on low sodium no caffene diet and it has done nothing. I am going on 5 months with this. I am also newly diagnosed with high blood pressure and still trying to find meds that work.

I have anxiety problems, and this vertigo/off balance is making it worse. When I start to get dizzy, I start to panic. Even at the docs office, my blood pressure was high and i could not relax and my heart was racing. Anyone out there ever dealth w/this? I think if I can relax a little and not get so scared every time I get dizzy/off balance, it would help a lot.

After 5 months it is taking its toll on me, I have missed a lot of work because of it. I have broken down and cried a lot. I just want to feel better and have my normal life back. Any advice or comments are appreciated. thanks for listening.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
(male)

marthar HB User
Re: Help w/vetigo/possible mienear's disease

By the way, I am a female, not a male.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I am under the care of a ENT right now for the worst vertigo that I have ever had. He told me to go get some Lipo-Flavoniod and take that 3 times a day, found in the supplement section at the stores.

He also gave me a sheet of exercises to do for the vertigo and they have REALLY helped a LOT! I am not a good typist but will try to type them in for you to try.. Now, when I first started them, they made me nauseated and made a little pain in the ears but they said that meant they are working.. You do these twice a day for 15 minutes then twice a day for 30 minutes..

Eye exercises;
1-Look up then down, start out slow then increase speed. 20 times..
2- Look from side to side, start slow then work into fast. 20 times
3-Focus on your index finger at eye level moving it from arms length to 1 foot from the nose... 20 times

Head exercises-
1-Bend forward, then backwards with eyes open start slow and work into fast. 20 times.
2-Turn head from side to side, start slow, working into fast. 20 times
3-As dizziness decreases, do them with your eyes closed.

Sitting-
1- Shrug shoulders. 20 times
2-Turn shoulders right, then left. 20 times
3-Bend forwards, pick something up off the floor, then sit up. 20 times.

Standing
1-Change from sitting to standing 20 times with eyes open, then 20 times with eyes closed
2-Throw a small rubber balls from hand to hand at eye level. 20 times.
3-Throw the ball 20 times from hand to hand under your knee.

Moving about-
1-Walk across the room and back 20 times with eyes open, then with eyes closed 20 times ...(Yea, right! Not in MY house!)
2- Any game that involves stopping and turning. (I just move about the room quickly, stopping, turning, looking up and down using jerky motions and I think that has got the best results of any of these things.)

These are so simple to do and are geared to put those crystals in your ears where they won't cause you so much problems. I have seen great results in a weeks time.

I have wasted weeks with my PCP trying this and trying that and nothing worked.. Went to the ENT and have results in less than a week. I have already missed 10 days work on account of this and will miss probably another 10 before I am released and can go back to work. I WILL keep this sheet of exercises for the next time it happens! I highly recommend trying these to see if they work for you! I also strongly recommend you get another ENT! Yours did a MRI before having you try these exercises or doing a ENG test? I go for the ENG test next week and hope I will be released then.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
(female)

sunny1717 HB User

I was diagnosed with Minears at age 30 at Stanford and UC SF finally. It started around that age with sever vertogo. after a few years of sever vertigo and vomiting, its in remission for almost 20 years. Keep your blood pressure low, stay away from salty food, alcohol and smoking, play ping-pong or tennis or something that helps eye movement, and exercise. You will be fine if you do all these. Stay away from STRESS!!!!!! its important to simplify your life. good luck. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I finally saw a doctor that got to the root of my problem and I have Migraine Associated Vertigo and am on medication for it. Still haven't worked since this began and have now lost my job and am on long term disability for it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
(female)

sunny1717 HB User

I am glad you don't have Minears...b/c some people do loose their hearing with Minears. Good luck.

Closed Thread