It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User
Question about methylpred and cipro

I am fighting off an infection [may have been strep] and went to the health clinic yesterday, getting Cipro. However, she also wrote out a perscription for MethylPREDNISolone. On the package it states that it "may lower the ability to fight off infection". . . . which seems counterproductive to me. Is it still a good way to medicate?

While I'm at it, the Cipro is to be taken twice a day. She instructed for me to take it for 5 days, even though the perscription is 20 pills. Basically, she said "the normal time for taking Cipro IS 5 days, but if I wasn't feeling better by them, to take the rest. If I AM feeing better, keep them for the next time I end up with an infection". I'd like to know if 5 days is actually too short or should I go the entire 10 days, since there were 20 given?

What is your input to what I've stated here?

As a side note, . . . after taking antibiotics for several days, AFTER the regiment is over, what are the best foods to eat to replenish your body [since the antibiotics may kill good things too]?

Last edited by EDC_Light; 08-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User
Re: Question about methylpred and cipro

Does anyone have some input on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
On the package it states that it "may lower the ability to fight off infection". . . . which seems counterproductive to me. Is it still a good way to medicate?
It takes higher doses (40 mg+) and a fairly long period of time for prednisone to lower the body's ability to fight off infection, so a short course of the medication won't have any noticeable impact. It's very common to take an antibiotic and steroid together to help treat a sinus infection.

Quote:
I'd like to know if 5 days is actually too short or should I go the entire 10 days, since there were 20 given?
I'd follow your doctor's instructions - if you don't notice a significant improvement after 5 days, keep taking it.

Quote:
As a side note, . . . after taking antibiotics for several days, AFTER the regiment is over, what are the best foods to eat to replenish your body [since the antibiotics may kill good things too]?
Your best bet would be to take probiotics while you're on the antibiotics. The probiotics will continue to introduce good bacteria to your digestive tract while you're on the antibiotics.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

Thank you for your input.

As for "the doctor's recommendation", I never actually saw a doctor, but a Family Medical Nurse Practitioner who actually didn't do any tests at all. Just listened to me say, "my throat hurts pretty bad", and then prescribed the two meds.

Anyway, I'm taking the bottle. I still have some slight discoloration when blowing my nose, and didn't want to stop at day 5 for fear that the infection would come back again.

I'll look for probiotics. Are we talking Yogurt?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
(male)

ThePatriot HB User

Did you have any problems with the Cipro? I took only 5 doses and every joint in my body started to pop, crack and ache. I hope you faired better. I had to stop at the 5 dose and spent from the 4th of July to Late August recooping.

Closed Thread