It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
What is going on with my throat?

I have been on two antibiotics in the past month for what I thought was some type of bacterial infection on the throat.

As soon as I am done the 5 day course of antibiotics, my throat starts to hurt again. It starts out as a single tonsil that hurts and then it seems a few days later, my entire throat hurts.

Been tested for strep twice and both time were negative. No white sores on my throat or anything, just pain.

The pain is really bad when I swallow. It also seems to radiate down into my trachea. Right now, my left tonsil is killing me and the outside of my trachea on the left side of also sore. I also am having problems talking because the swollen tonsil seems to be effecting my airway when I talk.

Any help? I am going to call the ENT today.

Just a side note - I snore and have done so all my life. My pain is very bad in the morning from snoring all night, however, the pain started after dinner this evening. I am trying to figure out if anything else could be causing the tonsil to swell.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 08-10-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

Mitch5 HB User
Re: What is going on with my throat?

I am wondering what is going on with my throat too!

Three weeks ago both my parents came down with a virus affecting their upper respiratory system. Neither have tonsils, neither complained of a sore throat.

A few days after they developed symptoms I also started getting upper respiratory symptoms and a sudden burning, throbbing one sided sore throat and pain radiating to the ear. I went to the doctor one time who said I have tonsillitis but wasn't sure if it was viral or bacterial. I CONTINUE to have a sore throat, with or without antibiotics, and this has been going on for 2 1/2 weeks now. Last night my tonsils felt like they were bleeding, they hurt so badly. Most of my pain is on my left tonsil and yes I am getting burning up and down the upper and lower airway as well. I have no clue what this is... a stubborn virus?

I wonder if we have the same thing going on. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's so horrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Mitch, sorry to hear you feel miserable too. Have you been given any antibiotics? I have a feeling I need something much strong than the Zpacks I have been on.

I would say after 2 1/2 weeks of pain that you need more meds.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

Hi and thanks. I was given amoxicillin which didn't help me at all. :-(

This morning I work up with a swollen throat and my tonsils hurting and pulsating again. :-( I just don't understand how an infection can linger like this and not work its way out. I had laryngitis for a couple days that went away. Why not the sore throat too? So annoying. I have sinus drainage that I wonder if it plays a part in this too.

Do you have other symptoms along with your sore throat?

Last edited by Mitch5; 08-11-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

no other symptoms here as of now, but I still have the zpack in me because I believe they last for about 10 days. Last time, once the zpack wore off, I got lethargic and sick again. All I wanted to do was sleep.

Yes, the drainage could very well be allergies or sinus related. Do you have sinus headaches?

I have no other symptoms except the sore tonsil/throat and now I have no voice. Again, once the meds are completely out of my system, I might get more. I don't even have drainage or anything. I was taking Claritin D for several days, treating this like allergies, but it did nothing. Have you tried allergy meds?

How is your energy level? Do you feel like you want to sleep all the time?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh, and often amoxicillin is not strong enough for a serious infection. You might need something much stronger. Be sure to always take all your antibiotics too. Don't stop mid way if you start to feel better, because this can make you resistant to antibiotics in the future (sorry for my motherly advice).

Old 08-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

Your motherly advice is welcome and appreciated.

Yes, I definitely have sinus issues. I've been told I have "chronic sinusitis" but it hasn't acted up in a while. Allergies, I had as a child but young adult now, not so much... that I know of anyway.

Right now it feels like I'm swallowing glass. It's always worse at night. I had to take some advil now otherwise I won't be able to comfortably swallow dinner or even sleep for that matter. This is so miserable. I am headed to an ENT on Friday. Today I went to my regular doctor who ran the following:

1. Step, rapid result was negative.
2. Mono, negative.
3. Complete Blood Count w/differential, normal.

He basically said this was a lingering infection. You think? LOL. He said it's a good idea I am going to an ENT on Friday. He mentioned reflux could cause the sore throat but I'm not buying it in my case because I had upper respiratory symptoms before the sore throat. My parents were sick. This is an infection and it has landed and doesn't want to leave my tonsils.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My ENT appointment is this morning and would you believe that I woke up feeling better?!?! Go figure! I still want him to take a look at my tonsils though.

I also wondered reflux for myself but I have no other symptoms. I have never had problems with heartburn and barely know what it is! I also don't think it is reflux because the antibiotics were helping me to feel better for awhile but then the pain would come back. If it were reflux, then antibiotics would have no impact.

Let me know what the ENT says for you. Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

Belly Kelly, I don't get heartburn, either, and I'm not a burper, but I do have acid reflux. I was doing lots of throat clearing and was having trouble with my voice, so my ENT scoped my throat. There was irritation at the lower end of my esophagus (from acid reflux) and I have a small hiatal hernia. He has me on generic Prilosec. So, you see, you don't necessarily have to have obvious symptoms to have acid reflux.

Last edited by choirgirl; 08-12-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok, the doc scoped my throat and nose. His first words were, "wow, you have large tonsils". He also said my airway was very narrow (from my tonsils). He prescribed another antibiotic and prednisone. He wants to see if my tonsils go down. He is also concerned that I might have sleep apnea, which I something I always wondered too.

I am feeling better today so am not thrilled to take another antibiotic and the prednisone. I am going to see what happens over the weekend and if this starts all over again, then I will definitely get the meds filled. Either way, I plan to go to my follow up appointment in Sept. because I want to talk more about the possible sleep apnea.

Closed Thread