It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

My right tonsil is larger then my left, and when ever I get a throat infection it takes ages to go. Plus I keep finding this white stuff caught in my right tonsil, its like the right tonsil has a pocket in it for collecting stuff. yuck! any ideas?

Last edited by LadyWriter1968; 08-16-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typed wrong text previously

 
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 162
choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

For the majority of my life (I'm 58), neither tonsil was ever swollen. Several years ago, my right tonsil showed up and I would occasionally spit out one/some of those foul-smelling things. I asked my ENT about it and he said, "You don't want to have your tonsils out as an adult." He seemed unconcerned because I'm a non-smoker.

Fast forward to this spring. I had my throat scoped for other reasons and asked him once again about the large tonsil. Another bump had shown up above the swollen right tonsil. The ENT said it was part of the tonsil and that since I'm a non-smoker, a malignancy was highly unlikely. When I returned to the ENT a couple of months later, he said the size of the tonsil hadn't changed and we should just watch it...malignancy was highly unlikely. I explained to him that my father was one of 7 siblings, 6 of whom died of cancer, and none of them had the same kind of cancer. He said, "Then you've got the gene. You should probably have them out."

I had my tonsillectomy on July 23. Recovery has been coming along nicely. My post-op appointment is this Friday. I'll ask about the test results then, but I'm pretty confident that everything was okay. According to an acquaintance who has the same ENT, if anything was wrong, the office would have called right away. I hope he took pictures of my tonsils after he removed them. After my surgery, he told my husband that the right tonsil was 10 times larger than the left one. I'd like to see what that looks like. I don't even know what size a normal tonsil is.

I think everything is okay, and I'm very glad to be rid of them. If the test results are good, I won't be thinking about the possibility of tonsil cancer anymore. And if the test results are bad, hopefully it was caught while something can still be done about it.

So, while I don't really think asymetrical tonsils are exactly normal, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything terribly wrong, either.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
For the majority of my life (I'm 58), neither tonsil was ever swollen. Several years ago, my right tonsil showed up and I would occasionally spit out one/some of those foul-smelling things. I asked my ENT about it and he said, "You don't want to have your tonsils out as an adult." He seemed unconcerned because I'm a non-smoker.

Fast forward to this spring. I had my throat scoped for other reasons and asked him once again about the large tonsil. Another bump had shown up above the swollen right tonsil. The ENT said it was part of the tonsil and that since I'm a non-smoker, a malignancy was highly unlikely. When I returned to the ENT a couple of months later, he said the size of the tonsil hadn't changed and we should just watch it...malignancy was highly unlikely. I explained to him that my father was one of 7 siblings, 6 of whom died of cancer, and none of them had the same kind of cancer. He said, "Then you've got the gene. You should probably have them out."

I had my tonsillectomy on July 23. Recovery has been coming along nicely. My post-op appointment is this Friday. I'll ask about the test results then, but I'm pretty confident that everything was okay. According to an acquaintance who has the same ENT, if anything was wrong, the office would have called right away. I hope he took pictures of my tonsils after he removed them. After my surgery, he told my husband that the right tonsil was 10 times larger than the left one. I'd like to see what that looks like. I don't even know what size a normal tonsil is.

I think everything is okay, and I'm very glad to be rid of them. If the test results are good, I won't be thinking about the possibility of tonsil cancer anymore. And if the test results are bad, hopefully it was caught while something can still be done about it.

So, while I don't really think asymetrical tonsils are exactly normal, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything terribly wrong, either.
Thanks for your response. Well I noticed my right is bigger then left, and I am also a non smoker as well. I have never smoked. But when I get a chest infection it lasts forever on me though, thats the only thing. And I do get that white stuff in the larger tonsil as well. Its horrid smell and I pushed it out and then rinsed with salt water. I think its food thats getting caught in there, yucky yuck! ewwww. Plus I didnt mention that I also have suffered from severe hayfever for years which doesnt help and has probably weakened the tonsils. Cause I get itchy throat with hayfever to and if I get any dust in throat I cough like crazy until the point of the tonsil becoming sore and swollen.

 
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,006
Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

That white stuff isn't trapped food. It's a sign of infection. I battled chronic tonsilitis for years and at age 35 had mine removed. Similar story to that above -- the ENT indicated that the one side was larger than a golf ball -- was FULL of that white stuff that no amount of antibiotic would get rid of and that the infection went very deep. Was the best decision I've ever made, just wish I'd done it sooner. Was so self conscious about my breath or having those white curds break loose when I was talking. Bleah.

 
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
That white stuff isn't trapped food. It's a sign of infection. I battled chronic tonsilitis for years and at age 35 had mine removed. Similar story to that above -- the ENT indicated that the one side was larger than a golf ball -- was FULL of that white stuff that no amount of antibiotic would get rid of and that the infection went very deep. Was the best decision I've ever made, just wish I'd done it sooner. Was so self conscious about my breath or having those white curds break loose when I was talking. Bleah.
ok thanks for telling me. wasnt sure really. I read on net somewhere it was trapped food, but I did think it was strange really.

 
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,006
Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

I know a couple of regular doctors told me that it was just trapped food, but the ENT I consulted explained what it really was.

 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 162
choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

I'm the 58 year old who responded earlier. My right tonsil was 10 times larger than my left one. Well, my post-tonsillectomy appointment was yesterday. My test results were benign. (YAY!) My giant tonsil had sulfur crystals in it. They are caused by bacteria and they cause bad breath and inflammation.

 
Old 08-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
I'm the 58 year old who responded earlier. My right tonsil was 10 times larger than my left one. Well, my post-tonsillectomy appointment was yesterday. My test results were benign. (YAY!) My giant tonsil had sulfur crystals in it. They are caused by bacteria and they cause bad breath and inflammation.
Thats good for you. I guess what I have are these tonsil stone things then, I had bit more caught earlier. I may have same as you then.

 
Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Another Throat Infection on Tonsils

About 2-3 month ago my tonsil on the right really hurt when I swallowed and was red and sore. Now the left one is hurting red and swollen. I am 42 years old. I have always been prone to throat and chest infections.

Advice?

Do you think that I need to have my tonsils out?
I was told its more painful when you are older to?

I suffer also with hay fever so that does not help.

 
Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
For the majority of my life (I'm 58), neither tonsil was ever swollen. Several years ago, my right tonsil showed up and I would occasionally spit out one/some of those foul-smelling things. I asked my ENT about it and he said, "You don't want to have your tonsils out as an adult." He seemed unconcerned because I'm a non-smoker.

Fast forward to this spring. I had my throat scoped for other reasons and asked him once again about the large tonsil. Another bump had shown up above the swollen right tonsil. The ENT said it was part of the tonsil and that since I'm a non-smoker, a malignancy was highly unlikely. When I returned to the ENT a couple of months later, he said the size of the tonsil hadn't changed and we should just watch it...malignancy was highly unlikely. I explained to him that my father was one of 7 siblings, 6 of whom died of cancer, and none of them had the same kind of cancer. He said, "Then you've got the gene. You should probably have them out."

I had my tonsillectomy on July 23. Recovery has been coming along nicely. My post-op appointment is this Friday. I'll ask about the test results then, but I'm pretty confident that everything was okay. According to an acquaintance who has the same ENT, if anything was wrong, the office would have called right away. I hope he took pictures of my tonsils after he removed them. After my surgery, he told my husband that the right tonsil was 10 times larger than the left one. I'd like to see what that looks like. I don't even know what size a normal tonsil is.

I think everything is okay, and I'm very glad to be rid of them. If the test results are good, I won't be thinking about the possibility of tonsil cancer anymore. And if the test results are bad, hopefully it was caught while something can still be done about it.

So, while I don't really think asymetrical tonsils are exactly normal, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything terribly wrong, either.
How are you going after having them removed? How long was it before you could swallow properly with no pain? Did they have to stitch in your mouth after having them removed. I at the moment have another tonsil pain again, the right one this time. its swollen and hurts when I swallow.

 
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

and what was it?

 
Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 162
choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: My right tonsil is larger then my left - is this normal?

It's been two months since my tonsillectomy and I'm doing great. At my 4 week post-op appointment, my ENT said there was still some redness and roughness, but I think that's all gone now. I see him again on October 1st. My throat still feels a little odd when I swallow, but since it's really empty back there now (even part of my uvula is missing), I guess that's not surprising. Something I'll get used to with time, I imagine.

The pain was really quite manageable. I don't remember exactly when I could swallow without any pain at all, probably somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks, but the only time swallowing was really, really painful was when the "scabs" were coming off on Days 7 and 8. I know that from Day 9 on, things just got better and better. I switched from the strong meds to Tylenol on Day 10. From Day 12 to Day 14, I took Tylenol only at bedtime, just in case my throat would dry out when I was asleep and start hurting, but I think I would have done fine without it. Since then, I haven't taken anything at all.

I didn't have any stitches.

I think I answered the "what was it" question on August 21, but I'll repeat it for you. It was not cancerous. The giant tonsil contained sulfur crystals which are caused by bacteria. The sulfur crystals caused bad breath and inflammation. So, apparently, it was just an infected tonsil. So now I have an empty throat and peace of mind.

Last edited by choirgirl; 09-24-2010 at 02:39 PM.

 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3,663
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Another Throat Infection on Tonsils

Are you having infections or possibly a yeast infection around your tonsils?

Have you seen an ENT regarding your infections and have you been on medications?

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!

 
Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Tonsil removals UK, has this stopped?

Some one told me that they dont remove tonsils in adults now in the UK and just give antibiotics. Is this true?

Cause 2mth ago my right tonsil was swollen, and now my left one is swollen and very painful.

 
Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 113
LadyWriter1968 HB User
Re: Another Throat Infection on Tonsils

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Are you having infections or possibly a yeast infection around your tonsils?

Have you seen an ENT regarding your infections and have you been on medications?

q
Thanks for reply and in answer to your questions is NO on both. All the doctor said before was use salt water. But if this carries on to next week I will go to doctors again. Cause its very painful and swollen and hurts when I eat or drink.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
LPR vs. Tonsil problems TigerGalLE Acid Reflux / GERD 4 03-18-2011 05:17 PM
Right tonsil very enlarged, extremely worried. WeegieMax Lymphomas 1 05-15-2009 01:27 AM
Warning for those with annoying tonsil stones. slimseeker Ear, Nose & Throat 8 06-12-2006 10:27 PM
Right Tonsil Swollen Wyle Ear, Nose & Throat 0 04-03-2006 07:56 PM
one big tonsil eisenfeet Open to All Other Health Topics 0 12-30-2005 09:31 PM

Tags
antibiotics, food, health, infection, pain, swelling, throat, throat infections, thrush, tonsils



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jenni9033 (30), Titchou (12), Jenmomof2 (11), mkgbrook (8), LisaMP (8), gcsjr (8), ladybud (8), choirgirl (7), palmtreegirl (6), buffalonygal (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (899), Titchou (835), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!