It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
(female)

neecheecat HB User
problems after tonsillectomy

I'm 28 and had a tonsillectomy 2 months ago. After recovering, I've developed some other strange problems, one is not being able to swallow correctly (I still have my uvula) when I swallow I have to try really hard to make sure it goes down as sometimes it seems to go up the back of my throat, food seems to get stuck up there and I can't get it out easily. It's really annoying and is causing post natal drip. I've tried clearing my throat and using a sinus rinse to flush it out but neither seems to dislodge the blockages completely.

It's frustrating because one of the reasons I had a tonsillectomy, besides the recurring tonsillitis was because I was getting tonsil stones, but now that stuff is getting stuck in the back of my throat/sinuses I have the same foul taste in my mouth and bad breath as with the tonsil stones.

Has anyone suffered similar after a tonsillectomy, or have any advice?

Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: problems after tonsillectomy

You're farther along in your recovery than I am. As of today, I'm 4 weeks post-op and just had my first follow-up appointment. I have another follow-up in 6 to 8 weeks. So, at 2 months post-op, maybe you have not yet fully recovered and some of your problems need a little more time to right themselves.

If food is getting stuck to the back of your throat when you swallow, try chewing your food, then getting some water in your mouth, and then swallow the food and water together. That's what I did (with some foods, I still do it that way), and it really helped keep food from sticking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

daffyducknene1 HB User
Re: problems after tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecheecat View Post
I'm 28 and had a tonsillectomy 2 months ago. After recovering, I've developed some other strange problems, one is not being able to swallow correctly (I still have my uvula) when I swallow I have to try really hard to make sure it goes down as sometimes it seems to go up the back of my throat, food seems to get stuck up there and I can't get it out easily. It's really annoying and is causing post natal drip. I've tried clearing my throat and using a sinus rinse to flush it out but neither seems to dislodge the blockages completely.

It's frustrating because one of the reasons I had a tonsillectomy, besides the recurring tonsillitis was because I was getting tonsil stones, but now that stuff is getting stuck in the back of my throat/sinuses I have the same foul taste in my mouth and bad breath as with the tonsil stones.

Hi there. I had my tonsillectomy 3 months ago and im still having problems. Throat feels very narrow and tight and i have trouble swallowing. Up until recently when i had a drink it came up my nose. Thankfully that has settled down. Sometimes it actually feels like im being choked. My taste is still way off,sweet things being the worst. Chocolate tastes awful!! I couldnt taste anything after my operation for the first couple of months but its come back slightly for savoury things. Have vile taste in my mouth constantly and even my once, much loved cup of tea is no longer enjoyable. Is this going to get better or will it be like this always?? Ive seen 3 drs, one of them being very nice but still unable to shed any light on this and the other 2 drs (ent) looked at me like i was talking another language and said they had never heard of these problems and didnt know what i meant!!! How can that be when i read so many stories similar to mine also feels like i have something stuck in my throat...

Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

ShelShel1988 HB User
Angry Re: problems after tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecheecat View Post

OMG, I'm sorry this is so old but I'm going to answser just in case someone else needs this info. I also had my tonsils out due to tonsil stones and now 3 years later I have the same problem, just the stones lodge in the back of my throat / in and or around my sinus's where I cant see them or dislodge them. Same feeling, smell, symptoms, everything. My tonsilectomy did help by cutting back the amount and frequency of the stones, however I thought as my doctor told me, they would stop with removal of my tonsils. At 39 years old, I went thru hell but I felt at the time it was well worth it and anyone with tonsil stones knows what I mean. Now I have to find the bottom line cause of these things and figure out how to stop getting them. If you google tonsil stones, outside of this site you will find tons of suggestions and "cures" / ways to prevent them. Going to the ENT doc in 5 days but I can't wait that long, I am in such pain and well, you know, the taste and smell sucks bad.

Closed Thread