It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

LaRain88 HB User
Eustachian tube dysfunction and flying.

Hi,

I have eustachian tube dysfunction and last time I took a flight I experienced incredible pain behind my eyes upon landing.

I am currently suffering from a throat infection and the ETB feels especially bad. I have a flight in 5 days and am worried that it will be super painful.

Is there anything I can do (beyond swallowing to try and unblock my ears), either before then or during the flight, to relieve the pressure behind my eyes?

Thanks for any advice,

Kirsty

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Eustachian tube dysfunction and flying.

Have you ever tried EarPlanes? We got ours at Walmart, but you can probably find them in any drug store. They are earplugs especially made for flying. You put them in before taking off and leave them in until you reach altitude. You put them in again before descent and leave them in until landing. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

LaRain88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
Have you ever tried EarPlanes? We got ours at Walmart, but you can probably find them in any drug store. They are earplugs especially made for flying. You put them in before taking off and leave them in until you reach altitude. You put them in again before descent and leave them in until landing. Good luck.
OK, not sure if they're available in UK, haven't heard of them but I will have a look for them. Thank you!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
(male)

cally1 HB User

To avoid middle ear problems associated with flying you should not fly if you have an acute upper respiratory problem such as a common cold, allergy attack or sinus infection. Should you have such a problem and must fly, or should you have a chronic eustachian tube problem, you may help to avoid ear difficulty by observing the following recommendations:
• Obtain from your druggist (a prescription is not necessary) the following items: Sudafed tablets; plastic squeeze bottle of ¼% Neo-Synephrine nasal spray.
• Following the container directions, begin taking Sudafed tablets the day before your air flight. Continue the medication for 24 hours after the flight if you have experienced any ear difficulty.
• Following the container directions, use the nasal spray shortly before boarding the aircraft. Should your ears "plug up" upon ascent, hold your nose and swallow. This will help suck excess air pressure out of the middle ear.
• 45 minutes before the aircraft is due to land again use the nasal spray every five minutes for 15 minutes. Chew gum to stimulate swallowing. Should your ears "plug up" despite this, hold your nose and blow forcibly to try to blow air up the eustachian tube into the middle ear (Valsalva maneuver).
• Remember that it is unwise to fly if you have an acute upper respiratory infection. Should flying be necessary under these circumstances do not perform the Valsalva maneuver mentioned above.
None of these recommendations or precautions need be followed if you have a middle ear ventilation tube in your eardrum membrane.

Best Regards,

Barry

The Following User Says Thank You to cally1 For This Useful Post:
csy (12-26-2011)
Closed Thread