It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
Extreme surge of pain surrounding my ear

I am a 54 year old female. Since I was as young I've had what I can only describe as an extreme surge of pain that is more around my ear than in my ear. Actually it's the whole area surrounding my ear. It's mostly on one side, but over the years I've had it on the other side as well. It usually only happens about 1 time every month or two. It is excruciating pain to the point that my eyes water everytime I get it. Since it happens only every month or two I've always just dealt with the pain which usually surges on and off for about 15 seconds to a mintue or two. However in the last several days I've had the surges of pain off and on all day. I've never had it this often and it's starting to scare me. Any ideas what could be causing this? Oh and one more thing, my Granddaughter gets the same thing. She started getting it at about 3 years old and it was always on the same side. She would be happy and playing and suddenly she would grab her ear area and scream which is what I would do when I was young too. As she got older and she was able to describe the pain to me, it sounded exactly like what I get. She is 13 now and I don't think she gets it anymore.

Thank you

Closed Thread