It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

Painindc HB User
Vocal Polyp Surgery Necessary?

Hello:

I was recently diagnosed with a single polyp on the vocal cord. I have all the classic symptoms, deeper voice, raspiness, etc, that began the same time I became ill with the flu. Anyway, the ENT has examined the polyp two times with a camera that he stuck up my nose (not pleasant) and down my throat. He assured me the polyp is not cancerous and that it is benign. The first time he examined it there was also inflammation but that has since gone away. What is left is a nearly perfect oval on my vocal cord.

Anyway, he told me today that I would need surgery to remove it. He said it's not urgent but he said it was best to take care of it as soon as possible. However, he did tell me he's going to confer with his colleagues and will get back to me Monday.

My questions are:

1) Does a vocal polyp that's not really causing me any other problems besides a deeper voice mainly, have to be removed? I ask because currently I am in Buenos Aires, Argentina and have no family or real friends here--the surgery would be a general anesethia thing and that's something I would rather not do alone if I don't have to. However, I have no health insurance in the US...so if I needed surgery in the next 12 months lets just say...I would need to get it done here.

2) How long can I wait for it to be removed? A few months, a year?

3) I am not a teacher, singer, do not yell frequently, and do not smoke. How did this happen to me?! I'm only 26. Although, I do have a lot of post nasal drip and cough because of asthma....is that it?

4) What are the chances of the polyp becoming cancerous in a year's time frame?

At some point I plan on getting it removed...but I would prefer to wait....a few months to a year if that's possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread