It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

JohnC1981 HB User
Dehydration, dry mouth, near-fainting after prolonged music exposure

Dear all,

I've been coping with numerous idiopathic (i.e. can't figure out why) vestibular issues since 2007, when I had my first episode of BPPV. I've had two recurrences since then, luckily, but have noticed in the past two weeks a strange phenomenon, and I'm not sure what the cause is. Nothing has changed in my diet except that I have started taking an adult chewable multivitamin (can't get myself to swallow the big pills regularly). I also tanned for two minutes in a tanning both twice two weeks ago.

The real culprit, however, is that I am a musician and sing, play guitar and piano somewhat regularly. Usually I wear custom-made musicians earplugs, which are noise-attenuating. However, sometimes I do not use these, because I simply cannot hear the music as well, and they are very uncomfortable. I also listen to music in my car, which amounts to about 20 minutes per day, at a modest volume. I retired use of my earbud headphones because they were causing ringing in my ears.

In the past two weeks I've had a fairly recurrent dry mouth and dehydration issue, which might be simply panic disorder manifesting itself somewhat oddly, and may not be related to any inner ear issues. I've also had some migraines and ear pain, and "brain fog" where I feel my cognitive skills are greatly reduced. The dehydration sensation is that of being very dehydrated or thirsty, with a slight, dull pain in the back of my throat, and a discomfort which runs from my throat down to my chest, and with some tingling down to my left hand. Sometimes at night I feel pressure in my ears, which almost feels like I'm about to have a seizure. All of this may be unrelated, again, but it just seems strange. Drinking electrolyte-filled liquids (Gatorade) seems to help temporarily. What exacerbated the issue was driving with a car-full of my friends, which weighted down the back of my car which has terrible suspension, causing a nauseating up-and-down motion for about 30 minutes. I started to feel nauseous and then started to panic because I was worried I was going to pass out on the freeway and get in a horrible accident. I started to feel tingling in my face and hands, I think due to the panic, as this has happened before (I climbed 24 flights of stairs, felt like the blood was pooling in my legs and started to feel like the blood was draining from my brain, which I read has been known to occur when you over-exert your legs, as in biking, etc., also known as vasovagal syncope, I believe). I drank some Gatorade which made me feel better, but I felt very shaken for the rest of the day, and also foggy-headed, which also occurs sometimes after playing music.

I suppose my question is what could this be related to, and if there is any way to remedy it; I know vestibular disorders are exceptionally difficult to treat, if even possible. As a wannabe professional musician, it would be extremely depressing to find out that I am essentially allergic to music. But is there any way to test this? If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by JohnC1981; 09-06-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread