It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
If not Meniere's then what?

For the last several years I've had the constant fullness in my ears and constant dizziness. I've read that Meniere's comes and goes and is never constant, so I'm not sure what mine is. Also, anytime I take anything with iodine or sodium chloride (i.e. fish oil or saline nasal sprays), my ears immedietely become plugged up and I'm super dizzy. I read if you have Meniere's any extra salt can cause this. If it's not Meniere's then what could be causing the sensitivity to iodine and salt?

I also am hypothyroid with Hashimoto's (autoimmune) and my levels are still not regulated. I read Meniere's and thyroid problems can be related.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

celrelief HB User
Re: If not Meniere's then what?

Hi, Tigger,

I have the same Hashi's/Meniere's combo. (I thought I recognized your name from the Thyroid board! From your list of symptoms, it does sound like Meniere's is a possibility. Do you have any noticable hearing loss, particularly at lower frequencies? Also, do you have the fullness/loss in one ear or both ears? (Most people only have it in one ear, but I have it in both.) Meniere's is thought to be autoimmune-related (particularly bilateral Meniere's), but I wasn't aware that there was an established connection between Meniere's and Hashi's. Based on your symptoms, I'd say ask your doctor to do a hearing test on you while you're having symptoms (vertigo/fullness). If you're having the standard lower frequency hearing loss, then Meniere's is a very real possibility. At that point, they'll probably do more extensive tests (such as an ECOG or ENT) to confirm the diagnosis.

Don't worry too much, many people have one or two attacks, then go on to be pretty much okay, with only minor issues in the following years. I had several weeks of very bad episodes (couldn't hear, couldn't drive, could barely walk) when I was first diagnosed, but in the two years since, have only had four or five bad episodes. The only lingering problem I have is moderate hearing loss. Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to celrelief For This Useful Post:
charlottefl (10-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

It's in both ears and is a constant thing, not an episode that comes and goes. It's literally how I've been for the last several years. I've had to do nasal rinses the last couple years because my low thyroid symptoms have blocked up my sinuses, and I notice I get dizzier after I do that. I wonder if it's the salt from the rinse.

I had a hearing test about a year ago with my ENT and they said my hearing was fine, although I recall not being able to hear some of the really low frequencies. Maybe they didn't think it was that bad? I wonder if I need to see a neurologist?

About 10 years ago I had a really bad case of labyrinthitis and had to stay out of work two weeks. I haven't been the same since as far as balance. I don't know if that was the start of it or not. Since then I've had several episodes, but never constant every day like this. It never lets up.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

celrelief HB User

Tigger, I think you have to have hearing loss in the low frequencies to be considered Meniere's, but I'm not 100% sure about that. There are so many other inner ear related things that it could be, it's hard to know what to tell you. There is also a thing called AIED (autoimmune inner ear disease), which, given your history, may be something to look into. Constant dizziness in not normal!! At the very least, it's worth getting the doc to do another hearing test, and maybe an ECOG or ENT(I think that's the right name) as well. Also, if you Google "Meniere's Talk", the first website that usually comes up has a great forum to discuss Meniere's AND many other inner ear disorders. I found the people there to be EXTREMELY knowledgeable and helpful with solving inner ear mysteries. Good luck in your quest!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Thanks. It could just be the low thyroid that's causing the dizziness, but that wouldn't explain why my ears become totally plugged up after I take any iodine or use a nasal spray that has sodium chloride. I even had to switch to another contact lens solution that didn't have sodium chloride because every time I'd put in my contacts, my ears would immediately become plugged and I'd be dizzy. I'm also extremely sensitive to bright lights, especially flourescent. After staring at a computer for too long, I feel like my eyes are bouncing around and I feel nauseous. I'll check out those other websites.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
(male)

ELLANDROAD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger67 View Post
For the last several years I've had the constant fullness in my ears and constant dizziness. I've read that Meniere's comes and goes and is never constant, so I'm not sure what mine is. Also, anytime I take anything with iodine or sodium chloride (i.e. fish oil or saline nasal sprays), my ears immedietely become plugged up and I'm super dizzy. I read if you have Meniere's any extra salt can cause this. If it's not Meniere's then what could be causing the sensitivity to iodine and salt?

I also am hypothyroid with Hashimoto's (autoimmune) and my levels are still not regulated. I read Meniere's and thyroid problems can be related.
HI TRIGGER 67.I HAVE JUST HAD A SERVER ATTACK OF THE SYSTEMS YOU HAVE POSTED.LAST WEEK I WAS WAITING FOR A TRAIN ON THE PLATFORM IN GLASGOW WHEN I SUDDENLY BECAME VERY DIZZY AND WAS SICK AS I FELL TO THE GROUND.OF COURSE I PANICED AND FOUGHT IT WAS THE END..ITS BEEN 6 DAYS SINCE STILL HAVE THE MOVING AND SWAYING FOGGY HEAD AND BALANCE ON MY LEFT SIDE AS COMPLETELY GONE.WENT TO SEE MY GP.HE PUT ME ON TABLETS FOR THE DIZZINESS AND SAID TO GET MY EARS CLEANED OUT THEN GO BACK 2 WEEKS TIME..PEOPLE I HAVE BEEN TALKING TO SAY I HAVE LABYRINTHITIS AND MOST SEEK MEDICAL A VICE NOW.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
(female)

EarPressure HB User

How are your symptoms progressing, trigger.

I've also had constant ear pressure since a rhiniplasty, over a year ago.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with me.

As for you, I would not put much stock in the meniere diagnosis. It's something of catchall for ear fullness the ents dont understand. My advice is to continue seeing ent after ent until you find someone you think has some insight into your problem. Us world news & report has a list of best ent hospitals that might be a good place to start also.

I'm happy with my current dr...but I may fly around to get a second opinion. I'm aggressively attacking this problem, as its horrible.

Hope to hear back from you

Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
(female)

nicola101 HB User

I have recently been told i have an auto immune condition (underactive thyroid, hashimotos) and since starting levothyroxin have been feeling very dizzy and sick with headaches. I have been back to my DR twice to be told it is all to do with thyroid the first time then BPPV the second! I have been told to carry out several exercises at home to help with the dizzy spells
Not convinced my DR knows anything!!
Hope you feeling better and that I do soon too

Closed Thread