It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

Chandie HB User
Cool Tonsillectomy MADE EASY! ;)

I wanted to share this post with anyone who is considering having an Adult Tonsillectomy. Let me just share this with you! I am 31 years old and I had a Tonsillectomy in August 2010, to be honest it was my first operation and the thought of going under General scared the hell out of me, however there was NOTHING to worry about!

I had tonsil stones, chronic crypt tonsils, viral tonsilitis every month for a year, and sleep apnea. Yes I had the works! My right tonsil was larger than the left, which apparently happens with infection, though if you suffer from one tonsil that is bigger than the other, please consult your GP!

Anyway, my recovery was a tiny bit painful, but here are some tips which helped me recover very quickly.

1. Drink LOTS of water
2. Take your pain medications ON TIME (record in a diary)
3. Eat a normal SOLID diet, (I forced myself to eat bread rolls just 2 hours after surgery and during my whole recovery time I ate normal solid foods) By doing this early, you are scraping the scabs off the back of your throat which is a good thing because thick prolonged scabs can lead to bacteria, which in essence leads to infection and bleeding.

I must admit, I did have very bad ear pain during recovery, which is a secondary pain that often comes with Tonsillectomy's. However all I can stress is take your pain medication on time, then eat a normal diet. This way you can tolerate solid foods because you are so drugged out on pain killers!!! All those myths about living off baby foods, yoghurt, custard etc PROLONG the healing process It worked for me, but everyone I realise has different experiences.

My recovery had no complications, no bleeding, no dehydration and unfortunately no weight loss

Having your tonsils out is a personal choice, and a choice that I am so happy I made, best of luck to anyone out there on post op recovery or anyone that is considering or booked in to getting a tonsillectomy!

Day 1 to 2 = Easy Street
Day 3 to 6= Worst Time ever
Day 7 to 14 = Almost healed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread