It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Wink Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy

Here is a thread for all the older folks headed for a tonsillectomy. I am 36 and just had my tonsils out yesterday.

Day one:
Felt fine after release from the faucility. A little loopy and my ears hurt a little.
I picked up Boston Market mashed potatoes and gravy along with mac and cheese. I was sooo hungry. Then we picked up my script. I can't take the liquid vicodin so they gave me dilaudid pills. They are uber tiny and easy to swallow with liquid.

Thru out the day I at the mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, applesauce, cream of wheat cereal and pudding. Drank loads of water and sucked on flavored ice pops. Not too much pain but swallowing was tough due to my uvula being so swollen. I aslo wrapped the front of my neck in ice packs regularly and added some Ibuprofen in the evening. I think it helped with the swelling.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Re: Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy (Day 2)

Day two:

Woke up every few hours. Not from pain, but because it is hard to breath and swallow normally because of the swelling. i did take the time to drink water ever time I woke. I was very worried about waking up in a lot of pain because of all the horror stories I have read. I think staying up and eating and drinking the first day really helped. I having been getting in little naps here and there. I have not really been taking my pain meds as it is manageble. The uvula swelling has gone down alot. I had a hard time even talking on day one. Now it's fine.
I have some ear pain and a tiny bit of throat pain but no worse than a minor strep case. It is lunch time and I am having Domino's Chicken Kickers and a soda I have to chew small bites but it seems to be going really well. I hope that things continue to go well and this can leave some people hopeful. After reading about adult tonsillectomy experiences online I was pretty sure this was really going to suck. So far so good. I will post later this evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Smile Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy (Day 2 Part 2)

Day 2 (part 2)

Finished off my chicken Kicker's and soda for dinner. All still seems to be well. The only thing I don't care much for is the feeling of the scabs in the back of my throat. They don't hurt but it feels gross. A little bit of throat pain that feels like a bit of bruising, but nothing worse. Still just randomly taking my pain meds. I am saving them up in case it gets really bad later in recovery.

I took a nap today and when I woke my throat and jaw felt a bit stiff but quickly recovered after I started eating and drinking. I think that keeping your throat and jaw muscles active may be the key. i could see that if you just rest too much that the pain may get really bad. It is still a bit hard to swallow because of the swelling but not painful.

As a side note the removal method my doc used was the scalpel and cauterize method. I have heard that the there are other, less painful methods but I
did not have a choice in the matter.

I will be back 2moro morning for more, hopefully, not scary posts.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 3)

Day 3

So far this has been the most painful day. The pain is sporadic though. I called my doc to switch me to the liquid vicodin. As I started taking the dilaudid more regularly it gave me a headache. This is not typical so if you have been given the dilaudid don't worry. Still able to eat most foods. I had chicken noodle soup, sugar smacks, and then all the regular soft schtuffs. I am starting to think that the ice pack on the throat is not helping anymore. I am having pain in my ears which is normal. I am also having pain in my jaw joints. Not sure if that is normal, but it seems to be worse if I have rested. I have not had as much of the ice and flavored ice pops because I am getting bored of them. I think I will make sure to keep up on that 2moro

Oh! They can flavor your liquid pain killers. It isn't going to make it taste like koolaid or anything, but it helps. I recommend watermelon. it is not too bad but don't try and shoot it as fast as you can! It will go up your nose and burn terribley.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy

Thankfully, I didn't have any ear pain, but...I followed my doctor's advice and chewed lots of gum. It's supposed to "relieve the spasm which contributes greatly to the pain". It also helps keep your throat moist.

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Thumbs up Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy (Day 4)

Day 4

Thanks Choirgirl. I actually bought some gum and forgot all about it.

More on and off pain today. It only got really bad during and after eating. Otherwise it was barely noticable. I have really just been resting and watching
television. On Monday I have about 4 hours of work scheduled. It is a bit physical so i hope that I can tolerate it. I am getting tired of 'taking it easy' but I don't want to overdo it. I do fall asleep at the drop of a hat so I am assuming that my body needs the rest to recover.

Still eating whatever I want, just at a slower pace. I had shrimp scampi for dinner and jambalaya for lunch. All the usual suspects today as well. Applesauce, mashed potatoes, ect. I have eaten way too much pudding so I likely won't experience any weight loss

I would not say it's fun so far but nor has it been the horror story that i was beginning to expect.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 4)

trying to skip doses of my painkillers again. Do not to this. It will make your mornings really nasty and you will end up chasing the pain the rest of the day.
Most of the pain is the same. All in all not a out of the ordinary day. I have to work 2moro so we will see how that goes.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 5)

Today has been really a relief as far as pain goes. I don't know if it is due to me taking the pain meds as scheduled or not. About half way thru my work day i had a horrible taste in my mouth and noticed something amiss. I spit in the sink and it was pure blood. Lots of it. The next 15 minutes my throat would fill to the point of choking and I would spit up blood. I knew that there was going to be some blood, but without exaggeration I would estimate to have spit up at least several cups. (I am not one to easily panic, but. .) I called the docs office because I was getting sick and light headed. They said give it an hour to resolve. If it didn't I was to go to the ER. The assured me that the amount of blood I was swallowing was what was making me feel yucky. Let me tell you, I was a little sceptical. It did, however, subside and the was no additional pain due to the bleeding. Really gross though. I seem to be on the upside of recovery

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 6)

I take back that upside of recovery thing. Arrghhh! About an hour before my meds are due to be taken the pain starts in. I anxiously wait it out and take the dose right on time or a little before it is due. I have not been eating as much because it is really, really hurts. Even drinking is an awful experience. On top of that I feel like I have something stuck in the back of my throat that I can't clear. It does not seem to cause pain to try and hack it up but I am also not making any progress getting rid of it. I think recovery is more of a mental battle at this point. I had to work this evening as well. All was fine and i picked up a Slurpee from 7-11 on my way home. It really helped. I had Oyster Stew for dinner and it was really yummy and no pain issues with hot foods. Maybe i will getting a few pounds of weight loss out of this after all.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 7)

Pretty painful morning. I had been trying to get rid of that 'lump' in my throat. Good news, I finally hacked it up. It was a ping pong ball sized solid mass of gross. Words cannot describe. I knew that there would be scar tissue but this was tonsil size. i called the doc's office just to be safe. Of course this is normal they just don't put it on the brochure. "By the way you will be hacking up disgusting wads of flesh" I guess the recovery instructions sound horrid enough as it is. I am going to get a bit more rest then post this evening.

On the upside the doc's office said that I should be getting better every day now
that the 'scabs' are coming off.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

Well, that sounds yucky!!!! I'm sure glad I didn't have that experience! All I ever spat out was a couple of smaller-than-pea-sized pieces of soft white membrane on Day 7.

Take care.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 8 & 9)

Nothing really to report. The pain seem to be at its worst first thing in the morning. Eating and drinking first thing is very tough but I have found not doing it is worse. I think that no matter how painful it is it is a must do. If you can mangae it working the muscles seems to make it more bearable in the long run. Still not skipping any of the pain meds, but I hope to soon. I have not eaten that much today, just kind of snacked. Regular foods are easier as the day goes on. Shrimp scampi with a white sauce for dinner was not too difficult.

I am going to do some yard work tomorrow in an attempt to get some regular activity back into my life. Plus cable is really getting boring no matter what time of day. You can't imagine how much they rerun the same episodes of shows during the week.

Til 2moro

Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
(female)

leahley HB User

Sounds like your doing alright! Thats good! Today is day #12 for me, I feel more like my old self, the mornings are really hard still, throat is so dry and sore. My left side is still bothering me, my right side has been fine. My ENT doc did tell me that my left tonsil was larger and had a lot of scarring so maybe thats why it has been more painful. When I look in back of my throat I still see a lot of white. I'm out of my liquid loratab but I do have vicoden pills from a prior procedure if I need them. I've been taking my pain med once during the day and before bedtime. I would like to try and go without today, do you know when its safe to take ibuprofen?? I feel like that may be all I need but I forget when its safe to take?

Take care!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy

Leahley

I was taking ibuprofen in the beginning. The worry with it is that when the scabs come off there is some bleeding and ib thins your blood. Check with your doc, but I take it once and a while and I am on day 10 I think. I thought
the IB was really effective. Just make sure it doesn't also have tylenol in it as well if ur taking the Lortab. Excedrin is my fav but it mixes IB and tylenol.

My right side bothered me the most originally, but now it is the left. Mornings do still suck a bit. Make sure you slowly keep decreasing the lortab and vicodin so that you don't get withdrawal symptoms. Such a short time on it usually won't cause it but some people are more sensitive.

Sounds like ur on the up side
Good Luck
heather

Old 09-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
(female)

TairenSoul HB User
Smile Post OP Adult Tonsillectomy(Day 11)

Day 11

I think it is day 11 anyways. This morning was painful but not as bad as it has been. I had my meds this morning and none during the rest of the day. i will take some before bed, but I think that I can finally cut back. I spent all afternoon out in the yard pulling weeds and doing other yard cleaning work. My endurance was a definitely effected. Wether it is all the resting or the meds I am not sure. It was also 90 here today so that is a bit of a factor I am sure. I am a bit muscle sore but have not noticed any ill effects as far as my throat goes. It was kind of nice to get back to being physically active. Hopefully i don't pay for it 2moro. Just finished an On the Border steak dinner
that included chips, salsa and a soda. No real problems, but bits still have to be smaller than normal. I have found that trying to get a full sized yawn in hurts quite a bit. i think that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Til 2moro.

Closed Thread