It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
(male)

Dalton07024 HB User
Question Vocal Cords Polyp/Hoarseness/Can Anyone Help Me Please...

Hi.... I'm new on this board and was wondering if anyone can help me.....

I'm a male 56 years old and for a few weeks I had experienced hoarseness which I thought was from a cold/flu whatever... But then I started to get a bit concerned when the hoarseness was entering it's second week and was not going away so I decided to go to an ENT Doctor.

He diagnosed me with a small polyp on my vocal cords, and said they were swelled up due to post nasal drip leaking down on my vocal cords.

He told me I had no choice but to stop smoking because the smoke would aggraviate matters. ( I tod him I had stopped smoking when the hoarseness started a couple of weeks ago )

He told me that i needed to give my voice rest for a minimum of three weeks and told me to get a box of NeilMed Sinus Rinse and to rinse twice a day. He gave me a nasal spray called NasoNex which has sterioids that would help the swelling go down. and suggested I return in three weeks for a follow up.

This thing is driving me crazy..... I don't know what to do anymore. Thank God I have Health Insurance and have a good union job that would put me on disability while all this nonsene goes on.

I don't know what to expect... He said if it doesen't go down he would suggest the removal of it with surgery.

Would anyone KNOW what's next here ? Have you had This or know of anyone that has had it so maybe you can enlighten me a little ?

Yor Help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!

Andy

The Following User Says Thank You to Dalton07024 For This Useful Post:
ppitts (03-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

HelloK HB User
Re: Vocal Cords Polyp / Hoarseness / Can Anyone Help Me Please .....

I too, have vocal cord polyps. Mine are really small and the doctor told me he didn't want to operate on them. He suggested voice therapy. I also have hoarseness, and somedays are better than others in the quality of my voice. I've been trying to stop smoking for a while, it's usually pretty okay, 'til the weekend comes along

I've been feeling a lot of pressure on my neck area, so I'm going to plan to go to the ENT or fam practice doctor soon. I would suggest you drinking lots of fluids and just relaxing w/ the meds you've been given. Polyps/nodules do come back if you don't learn to speak correctly, too. Hope everything gets resolved for you.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

mountaingal1 HB User
Re: Vocal Cords Polyp / Hoarseness / Can Anyone Help Me Please .....

Hi Andy. Yes, I had the same thing happen to me during the summer. Went to ENT and was told I had the poylps on vocal cords. Seems this is not so rare for smokers. Anyway, I did have the surgery to remove them plus a biopsy ( which was benign ). The surgery was an outpatient procedure and I was home the same day. Therre was NO pain to the surgery, other than my tongue hurt from where they had clamped it down, but even this pain was minimal and only lasted a couple days. Also, I could eat just about anything after the surgery. Of course the downside to the surgery is that yes, you do have to rest your voice for a few weeks. ( But that is what writing paper is for, LOL ), however in my case that was hard to do, and I found that I could whisper in about 2 weeks, and by the 3rd week, could just about talk like normal, with a few breks in voice now & then. By week 4, your voice should be just about normal again. I am a smoker, and was told the polyps were caused by smoking, however, I personally continue to smoke, ( just can't seem to quit ). The doctor had told me if I continue to smoke there would be a 50/50 chance of the poylps returning, so I guess that would be a personal choice you would have to make. I would suggest that you get the surgery done, as I don't believe the poylps go away by themselves, and could lead to other things if not removed. But like I said before, the surgery is nothing to worry, and other than not being able to talk for awhile, there would be no reason that you could not return to work in a day or so. By the way, I also have a sinus condition and have used nasal sprays for several years. I did stop using them altogether and found that I really didn't need them at all afterall, plus I feel much better without them and breath better too. I truly believe using the nasal sprays also are a cause of the vocal polyps, as well as Gerd ( don't know if the doctor mentioned this to you or not, you may want to look into this also), percription pills would help with that. Well, I wish you luck and hope all works out for you. Hope my experience helps you with your decision. Take care.

Closed Thread