It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

Ruby31 HB User
Question Attacks of itchy throat, nose, and ears on one side

Hi all,

For the past 3 months, I have been suffering from attacks of severe itching on the right-side of my throat. It then progresses up to my sinuses, and into my ear. My right eye fills with tears, and that side of my nose starts running too. These attacks come out of nowhere, several times a day and night, and last 5-20 minutes.

I have pollen and animal allergies, controlled with allergy shots, Xyzal, and Omnaris. My allergist says these new symptoms are NOT an allergy. He diagnosed me with LPR (acid reflux without heartburn), and prescribed Prilosec and Zantac.

My ENT thinks it's a combo of LPR and allergies. He switched my meds to Zyrtec, and Dexilant.

But after 3 months of PPIs, antacids, antibiotics, and 2 courses of Prednisone, I am no better. I can't find anyone online with this exact problem. It happens at home, work, in public... It's a severe itch that can't be scratched and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have no pain or other symptoms. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

Calichica HB User
Re: Attacks of itchy throat, nose, and ears on one side

@Ruby31...I've had this problem my whole life. At times its unbearable...Doctors seem to lack explanation for it, holistic doctors usually call it a yeast infection in the ear canal...I believe they're correct because it only seems to dissipate when I lay off of bread or other yeasty foods...or sugary foods, since sugar feeds yeast...You may want to go to whole foods and investigate a yeast cleanse program and supplement...Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
(female)

Calichica HB User
Re: Attacks of itchy throat, nose, and ears on one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby31 View Post
Hi all,

For the past 3 months, I have been suffering from attacks of severe itching on the right-side of my throat. It then progresses up to my sinuses, and into my ear. My right eye fills with tears, and that side of my nose starts running too. These attacks come out of nowhere, several times a day and night, and last 5-20 minutes.

I have pollen and animal allergies, controlled with allergy shots, Xyzal, and Omnaris. My allergist says these new symptoms are NOT an allergy. He diagnosed me with LPR (acid reflux without heartburn), and prescribed Prilosec and Zantac.

My ENT thinks it's a combo of LPR and allergies. He switched my meds to Zyrtec, and Dexilant.

But after 3 months of PPIs, antacids, antibiotics, and 2 courses of Prednisone, I am no better. I can't find anyone online with this exact problem. It happens at home, work, in public... It's a severe itch that can't be scratched and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have no pain or other symptoms. Thanks.

@Ruby31...I've had this problem my whole life. At times its unbearable...Doctors seem to lack explanation for it, holistic doctors usually call it a yeast infection in the ear canal...I believe they're correct because it only seems to dissipate when I lay off of bread or other yeasty foods...or sugary foods, since sugar feeds yeast...You may want to go to whole foods and investigate a yeast cleanse program and supplement...Good luck

Closed Thread