It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
(male)

eo333 HB User
Pain on bridge of nose

If anyone else is experiencing this, please contact me, it would be nice to compare notes. I've had this for about three years.

Symptoms:
Pain on bridge of nose. It's a throbbing, dull pain. It's not localized to one side or the other. It often feels like my nose is being squeezed in a vice. It's accompanied by a lightheaded feeling a lot of the time. The pain is constant, 24 hours a day.

Also, the pain sometimes extends up between my eyes, and/or in my temples. But it's clearly centered on the bridge of the nose.

CT scans and MRIs have not been helpful, and I have ruled out sinus problems, allergies, and traditional things like "cluster headaches."

Last edited by eo333; 10-28-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
(male)

mousetarget HB User
Re: Pain on bridge of nose

I have the same condition as you I think, severe pressure on the bridge of my nose which builds as the day progresses - it pulses, feels like someone is pressing down on it. I've seen a neurologist and he put me on beta blockers thinking its a migraine causing the problem but they haven't worked. I've had it for a year now and will next try Amptripline.

How are you doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
(male)

eo333 HB User

Hello. Sorry to hear you are going through this. It truly sucks. I am on amitriptyline currently and it helps tremendously. I started it a few months after my original post. I take anywhere from 25 to 100 mg each night before bed. It doesn't make the pain go away entirely, but it definitely reduces the severity of the next day's pain. I'll be curious to learn if it also helps you.

I am actually scheduled to have surgery in a couple weeks to address this problem. The basic idea is that two structures in the sinuses are in contact with each other (and aren't supposed to be) and this somehow produces the pain. Again, I learned this after my original post.

The contact point can be visualized on a CT Scan. So to confirm that this was the source of the problem, my doctor inserted a cotton ball soaked in anesthetic back into the area of the "contact point." My pain immediately subsided. This was only a temporary thing for diagnostic purposes, so the pain eventually came back.

I will post on here after the surgery to let you know the results. If you want more info and web links about this type of surgery, let me know. You can also google "nasal contact points." It is not a mainstream diagnosis from what I can tell, so your average ENT doc may not have heard of it or believe in it. (At least from my personal experience.)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
(male)

mousetarget HB User

Many thanks for your update. I'm very glad you are getting some relief with the drug - I hope I do so also - there is also a second generation version of Amptripline called Nortripline I think (spelling may not be correct) - this apparently has less side effects than Amprtripline. I've not heard of your surgery before I shall look this up - all the best when you have it done in a few weeks.

I find if I am physically busy doing something I don't notice it as much - but if I am just sat in front of a computer or watching TV at night its very noticeable. Sometimes it feels as if the bridge of my nose is going to explode! My best part of the day is always when I wake up when I can hardly feel it, but then it builds as the day progresses.

I don't know how yours started but mine came out of the blue one day when a constant pulsing right in the middle of my bridge of my nose started, this lasted for about 3/4 days and was constant unless I lay down, and then I got sensations all over my nose and cheeks and then it settled down into the pressure/vice sensation you describe. How did yours start?

You can get cool cold compresses - people use them for migraines, I find if I place one across the bridge of my nose it does numb the area and help the pain - have you found anything else that helps?

Kind Regards

Chris

Closed Thread