It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
(male)

bentley7 HB User
Chronic irritation of throat and nasal passage

I've had this problem for going on a year and a half, and after seeing three different ENTs and having one surgery performed, I'm asking the internet for help.

It started in July of 2009. The base of my nasal passage, where it meets the throat, started having a constant feeling of dryness. It was very localized to that spot, and usually only on the right side. When motionless, it doesn't hurt - but swallowing is the problem. There's a muscle contraction that happens every time you swallow - I forget the name - but it closes your nasal passage so food doesn't get up there. Every time that happens, and the sides of the nasal passages touch each other, I get what amounts to a little pinch in that location.

It's never very serious pain, but it's extremely annoying and I have no idea what to do anymore. The first ENT I saw basically told me I was fine and I was imagining it. The second ENT saw some irritation in my adenoids. I had those removed, but when it healed, the old pain came right back. The third ENT was about as helpful as the first one, and told me I was fine.

I might be imagining some of it - it's gotten so I'm always self monitoring to see if it still hurts, and I'm sure that contributes - but there's definitely something wrong too.

I do have a lot of post nasal drip and I have a feeling that may be the cause. I'm also always clearing my throat. I've tried many home remedies...saline sprays, a neti pot, apple cider vinegar, tea, honey, allergy medicine, and drinking water constantly. They usually provide temporary relief, until the feeling comes right back.

Has anyone ever had something like this? Or have an idea what might be the cause?

Last edited by bentley7; 11-04-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Chronic irritation of throat and nasal passage

Chronic throat clearing is a very common symptom of acid reflux, specifically a type of reflux called LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) or "silent reflux" that doesn't usually produce heartburn, but instead causes irritation in the esophagus. The body responds by producing mucus to protect the irritated areas, that mucus becomes post-nasal drip, and the throat clearing is your response to that mucus.

I would recommend that you see and ENT or Gastroenterologist and specifically discuss the possibility that your throat clearing is reflux-related.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
(male)

shane1987 HB User

You have described what I have had for 8 months. I also keep checking if it still hurts and my dr basically thought it was in my head. I saw an ent and he suggested it might be due to acid reflux so I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with reflux esophagitis which is just inflammation due to reflux. I've been on 2 different ppi's twice a day at the highest dose but it hasnt helped my throat. I personally don't think it is acid reflux because my throat isn't sore lower down I.e where my tonsils are and it's extremely variable. I would suggest asking about the possibility of it being acid reflux because a sore throat is very common with lpr. But if it only hurts in one spot then I don't know if it could be but I'm not a dr and have had no training so you should definately see a professional. Oh one more thing, do you have any odors? Because I have a strange odor like off milk that is either coming from my sinuses or my stomach. Also nobody else can smell it apart from me.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
(male)

bentley7 HB User

No, no odors. I'd rather avoid going to another ENT. I'm sick of paying them money to tell me I'm imagining things and pushing me out the door. I find it funny that not one of the three I saw even mentioned the possibility of acid reflux.

I'm starting to take Zantac every day, and the early result is I'm not clearing my throat as much but I still have the pain up in my nasal passage. I'm a little encouraged, though...maybe I've been having post nasal drip for so long that it'll need some time for the irritation to heal.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley7 View Post
I'm starting to take Zantac every day, and the early result is I'm not clearing my throat as much but I still have the pain up in my nasal passage. I'm a little encouraged, though...maybe I've been having post nasal drip for so long that it'll need some time for the irritation to heal.
If your symptoms are reflux related it will definitely take time for them to subside. Give the Zantac at least a month (you might even consider a 2-week course of PrilosecOTC followed by a month of Zantac) so the inflammation can subside.

There are lots of other "lifestyle" change you can make to help speed the process, particularly avoiding "trigger" foods like chocolate, tomato-based sauces, peppermint, alcohol and caffeinated drinks, don't eat for at least 2 hours before bedtime, and raising the head of your bed 4 inches, all of which help keep the acid where it's supposed to be.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

hey gcsjr,

I just came down with LPR out of the blue for the first time in my life. 29 years old, male. Do we guys not get over this as fast as women in your experience? It seems like the women who posted earlier with these problems had it go away or became sort of supporters of those who are still having symptoms. I'm taking two ppis a day, less than 2 weeks, and today I feel like my symptoms are kind of improving. I got the LPR after a cold. It seems like that is pretty typical. Just looking for hope and encouragement. Did you get total relief, how long will it take, and will I ever be able to enjoy beer without having a stick in my throat the next day? Thanks!

Closed Thread