It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

I don't think my tongue was swollen, but my uvula was. I had no problem whatsoever with talking.

Even with a swollen tongue, you might be surprised at how easily instant mashed potatoes go down. Remember, you can make them as thin as needed, although I didn't thin them until Days 7 & 8. The rest of the time, I just followed the instructions on the box. I couldn't handle macaroni. The little chewed up pieces stuck to the back of my throat. Mashed potatoes would just squish and slide.

Hang in there. You'll soon be all better.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Oh today was no fun at all. Choirgirl, did you have heavy mucous buildup in the back of your throat? It's been so bad today, I've had to use that bucket you recommended I keep nearby. Granted, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but still scary... I don't know if it was the pain meds that made me sick or what, but I have avoided them all day today and it's been bearable. My husband made up a big batch of mashed potatoes, so I had him mix some with some chicken broth so it was nice and runny. It tasted good, but I had a hard time getting it down. I know I will get through it. I'm hoping these are my bad days now and then it will be all upwards from here. So nice to be able to sign on here and get the support from those who have already gone through it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
(female)

I don't remember heavy mucus buildup. I've had a mucus problem for the last year or two anyway, so maybe I just didn't notice a difference.

The liquid Lortab (and liquid Tylenol) is what made me sick...until I started eating mashed potatoes before and after taking it. Then I switched to pills and had no more problems with getting sick.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

I would have to say the mucus is my biggest irritation at the moment. The Lortab was making me so sick that I stopped taking that, so am on the second day of no pain meds. I have some liquid Tylenol for when the real pain starts. Managed to eat some cream of wheat and some mashed potatoes today. Made them both very runny and it took a while, but I did get them down. I had half a vanilla Ensure but couldn't tolerate much more than half because that also causes mucus. If it weren't for all the gunk, I wouldn't think this was half bad. Okay, well, yes, it's still bad....

Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #20
(male)

dsinned HB User

Hello, I had a similiar surgery last year, with the addition of having my uvula removed, and currently am working through the results of having a partial glossectomy. Both procedures have very similiar healing patters. Personally, I have no idea how you are making it without pain meds. I am by far not a junkie, but for the first 7 days found the maximum dose every 4 hours almost necessary. On the 8th day I found the pain was more of an annoyance rather that something that the meds could cover so I discontinued then. As far as the nausea goes, I had my doc write a prescription for 12.5 mg Phenegran (Promethazine) as any form of morphine/codeine makes me nauseas. That did the trick for me.

I'm glad you are doing so well eating, it makes a difference. I also slept with compressed air and 40% moisture. It's sorta like a CPAP machine but the mask is alot more open. (I can't tolerate the CPAP/BIPAP masks.)

anyways, long post to recommend phenegran for nausea and to say that day 8 was the turning point for me. Also, I made the mistake of staying completely bed ridden for the first 8 days, and it felt like it took months for me to get my strength back, so keep moving around without overdoing it and good luck, your almost there.

forgot to add that I drink alot of luke warm "jello" water. It helps soothe my throat and leaves a slight non-mucus coating. I avoid dairy because of the mucus issues.

Last edited by dsinned; 12-17-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: additonal information

Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #21
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Hi dsinned, thanks for the note. Actually I did get a script for anti nausea meds. They didn't help. I think it was a combo of the lortab and the mucus buildup that was making me sick. I have a very high gag reflex and I think it was just too much. Probably a bit TMI, but I have found that spitting all the gunk out is much easier than trying to deal with it in the back of my throat. My biggest thing is just keeping the water going. When I feel the buildup start, that's when the ice water works the best. As far as the pain meds, I guess just dealing with sore throats for so long, I am finding the pain tolerable. I am very lucky, I have a pretty high pain tolerance which is definetly helping too. Although, I did have to take a dose of liquid Tylenol around 3am this morning. I'm not sure if I'm at the point where the scabs are starting to slough off or not, but it does feel a bit clearer back there. Not too interested in looking though. Once again, thanks for the note, and good luck with your latest recovery!!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Ah, just an update, I have now encountered the real pain. Thankfully, my husband was able to interpret my "look" at him and knew I was ready for some meds. Took the anti-nausea med and waited about 15 minutes and then took some Lortab. Knock on wood, no tummy troubles and the meds have definitely taken the edge off...

Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #23
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Wow. While reading the boards does get you prepared for recovery, there is just no way to REALLY understand the pain of the "scab days".... Without a doubt, THE MOST painful think I have ever gone through. I've had two children, one natural with NO epidural and one cesarean, and neither come close to the pain I have endured the last few days. Today is Day 8 and I am hoping I am close to the end. I couldn't imagine it lasting too many more days, especially with Christmas right around the corner. Saturday night I woke to the a horrendous pain in the left side, took a few sips of water and could tell something was different. Sure enough, I had lost a scab and began bleeding. Thanks goodness my husband understood my frantic knocks on our bedroom door and got up and helped me through it all. While I have a decent pain tolerance, the whole blood thing is another thing, especially when it is coming out in mouthfuls from my own mouth. It took about fifteen minutes of rinsing with cold water but we got it stopped. I have definitely noticed since the scab coming off, the pain meds only work great for about an hour, after that it is only enough to take the edge off. Woke up about an hour ago with similar pains and it feels different again, so I'm thinking maybe more scabs came off. Sorry for the rambling post, but it is 4:30 in the morning so there's no one to talk to hear and it's just nice to ramble on for a while anyway.

Oh, and choirgirl, if you do read this, my diet the last couple of days has consisted of mashed potatoes and cream of chicken soup. You are right, the potatoes are about the only of substance tha works. The cream of chicken soup is perfect, very soothing on the raw throat.

Anyways, I think my meds have finally kicked in again so off to sleep for a couple more hours before the kids wake up! Thanks for listening...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #24
(female)

Hooray for mashed potatoes!

You're almost there. In my experience, once the "scabs coming off" stage was over (which was two days for me), there was dramatic improvement.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Well it feels like my "de-scabbing" stage is going to take at least three days minimum. Oh, and I errored when I said it was the left side that had come off, it was the right. (I'll blame the Lortab...) I'm up in the middle of the night again, dealing with more de-scabbing. Woke up about 2 and took a couple sips of water and could feel the rest of the right one coming away. And, being it was also time when I was due for more meds, there was nothing to help take the edge off that... It definitely feels like there is still quite a bit on the left side, so I am expecting it will take at least one more full day. Blah!

On a posititve note, I did manage to eat three "meals" yesterday. Whoo hooo!!! Scrambled eggs for breakfast, mashed potatoes for lunch and a smushed up turkey pot pie for dinner. Although my meals were only about half a cup serving size each, at least I am forcing the foods to help the healing process. I'm not a big pot pie fan, but it was SO good, a nice change from the bland I've been eating. Although I skipped the best part, the crust. Speaking of tasting good, our Chicago Bears played tonight (or rather, last night...) so my husband decided he was going to order our favorite pizza for him and the kids. (Along with beer nuggets, mmmm!!) It smelled so good when we went to pick it up, I couldn't resist when he had late snack of a piece of cold pizza. It was only about two bites, but I did manage it. Simply heaven!! Although in hindsight, it was a bad idea as I believe the sauce (or maybe the pepperoni) ended up making my throat burn for a bit. But still worth it.

Well, meds have kicked in full force, so back to sleep I go. Oh yeah, and our Bears won!

Last edited by Mom2SJnDA; 12-21-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Thanks for starting this thread. I am scheduled for my tonsillectomy on 1-11-11. Hope that is a lucky day! I just called my doctor to inquire about the coblation method and he told me he would do it on me, but that he doesn't prefer to use it. I am so worried about pain and recovery. It seems, MOM2S - that your recovery isn't any faster with the coblation and you are experiencing about the same recovery as other people? Maybe everyone is different?

My doc said he felt there were higher instances of post-operative bleeding with coblation and he uses something called, "dissection and snair." Ew....sounds like a real science experiment! LOL! In any case, other docs in the practice use coblation and he felt that recovery time was all about the same. Well, that just doesn't seem to be what I am reading! All this information is so confusing! To be honest, I didn't even KNOW I had a choice!!!!

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 12-21-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Hi Belly Kelly! Yes, you are right. From all the reading I did prior to my surgery (and it was ALOT) it seems like my recovery has followed the same path as many others. I just don't think there is any getting around the pain. It is honestly excruciating at times. My thoughts though, going into it, were I would rather read all the horror stories and assume the worst and be prepared for anything. Although I have to tell you, and I hope not to gross you out, I'm assuming you've read the entire thread, the mucus build up in the back of my throat was as annoying as the throat pain. I did find that, when I felt is starting to build, if I chewed a piece of gum, the increase in saliva seemed to break up the mucus. Also, I do know that they say the older you are, the more rough it is too, so depending on your age, you may be okay.

I will keep checking this board even after I'm fully recovered, it's been great therapy to 1) compare to others' recoveries and 2) vent when you can't talk. Please let me know how you are doing and best of luck when it's your turn!!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
(female)

BPayne HB User

Hey! Sorry I haven't been on to check on you the past few days! I have been out of town away from my computer, but my thoughts have been with you! How are you doing? Hopefully you will be recovered by Christmas! I'm starting to get nervous about my surgery. Less than a week away... My parents will be with me three nights after my surgery and then I will be on my own. Do you think I will be able to do it by myself?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Hey BPayne! Only a week to go now, wow! It's a good thing you will have your parents around the first few days. For me, the pain was pretty rough the first couple days, then I went about three without taking the pain meds. Once the scabs started coming off, yeah, then it's meds ON SCHEDULE! Everyone is so different, it's so hard to say how your recovery will go. I am very lucky in the fact that my husband is off for the winter so he's been with me every day. While it would have sucked, I'm sure I would have been able to manage after day 3 on my own, I just haven't had to. My husband checked everything tonight and he said the right side scabs are pretty much off and it looks like the left are "breaking down a bit". I'll be glad when it's over for sure, just so I can get some solid sleep at night. Many of the posts I read beforehand suggested setting alarms to wake up in the middle of the night to take meds on time. I tell ya, I haven't slept longer than two hours at a time. Wake up, chug some water, take meds if it's time, and back to sleep for another couple. A little hesitant to even attempt to go to sleep tonight, as the nights are the worst for me, and I know that darned left side is going to go soon.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I am 35 and wishing for the best. My good friend has coblation over the summer and was on a job interview 4 days later. She said she had little pain! Go figure!

My tonsils are large and I have sleep apnea. I am hoping the surgery helps my snoring and apnea.

Closed Thread