It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User
Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

BellyKelly, If you've not had tonsil issues in the past, you may have a super easy recovery. I know my ENT said that every time you get strep, tonsillities or tonsil stones, it leaves scar tissue, and the more scar tissue, the rougher the recovery. I do think it's funny how different ENTs say different things.

Best of luck to you in curing your snoring and apnea!!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Thanks....good to hear! My tonsils have "craters" but don't have a history of infection. I don't even get the little white things that everyone talks about. They are just very big and I have a narrow airway as a result.

How are you feeling today? Is this day #9 for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #33
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Well, when I woke up this morning, felt about the same....BUT as the day has gone along, things are definitely better. No pain meds today. I have one dose of Lortab left and I'm saving in just in case. I counted surgery day as day 1, so today is day 10. I just wish I could eat something decent. While I haven't needed any meds, the pain is still there and there is still some scabbing.

I can tell you one thing, after I'm eating normal again, it's going to be a LONG time before I even think about eating cream of chicken soup or mac-n-chz!!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #34
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

DAY 14!!! I am going to call today my "turning point" day. I have been able to eat more today than I have in the last 14 days combined. While I've had some bad coughing fits (along with gagging and spitting), most of my scabs are gone. YAY!! The left side of my soft palette is still hanging low a bit and my uvula is still swollen, but this is nothing. I can deal with this. It's SO nice to FINALLY be able to eat fairly normal.

Choirgirl, thanks for the support during the recovery. It is incredibly reassuring, hearing from someone who has recently gone through it.

BPayne, I believe you are up tomorrow. If you read this, BEST OF LUCK to you!! I'm hoping you don't have them, but if you hit those "depressed and it's never going to end" days, just remember, IT WILL. I had a horribly depressing day when I was in tears most of the day, just because I kept coughing, then gagging, then getting sick and all I wanted to do was feel better and be able to eat. Hoping for the best for those who follow!!

Merry Christmas (a bit belated I know) and Happy New Year!!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #35
(female)

BPayne HB User

Today's the big day! I packed my laptop so I will be on to update soon! Fingers crossed

Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #36
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

You're welcome, Mom. I'm thrilled that you've finally turned the corner!

BPayne, I sent up a prayer for a successful surgery and easy recovery for you. I look forward to reading your updates.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
(male)

shmeelsybot8 HB User

So i never thought i would be one of these people to write about my experience with my tonsillectomy recovery, but now that I am going through it I completely understand why people do it. I am on my 6th night after surgery counting the day of surgery. Oh and I am 17 fyi. Today was by far my worst day, and I mean BY FAR. The right side of my throat feels like when you get rug-burn so bad it bleeds, and then someone poured lemons into the burn. I have had luck up till this point in that I have had no vomiting, but now i know what the pain is like. And whoa, this is the real deal for pain. I thought I was a tough guy, but this is the worst pain even I have felt. I am on liquid percocet and antibiotics. The surgery makes me feel worthless. I have only had minor bleeding, but I am wondering if even THAT is normal. My right side is in pain while the left is in virtually none. At the same time, the left side is pretty much still 100 scabbed over and the right side is making progress. Why is it that only one side is getting better? I also want to know if theres any way to stop the bleeding besides the ice water because that hurts tremendously

Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #38
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

I didn't have any bleeding. Here's what my instruction sheet says about it:

"On about the 5th to 12th day, the membrane (scabs) will come off. This is usually accompanied by more severe throat pain (or earache) for 24 to 72 hours. Some bleeding, which is usually minimal, may occur at this time. Bleeding can usually be controlled by an ice collar to neck and bed rest. If there are more than 3 teaspoonfuls of bright red bleeding, or vomiting of coffee ground color old blood, please call your doctor. If you are unable to reach the doctor, go to the emergency room of the hospital."

Hang in there. The most painful stage will soon be over.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #39
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

shmeelsybot8 - I understand what you're going through. I don't think there is anything "normal" as far as recovery, everyone has different experiences. What you are going through sounds like about the same issuesI had. My right side hurt worse also, with barely any pain on the left side. Today is day 15 for me, and my right side is still sore, but much more tolerable than last week. Nothing on the left side. Before surgery, my right tonsil was larger and I had more issues on that side. My ENT had said the more problems you have with it (strep, tonsillitis, stones, etc), the more scar tissue and the rougher the recovery. I know it sucks and there's really not much that helps. The pain meds just take the edge off, but it will get better. Keep up with the ice water for the bleeding, but since your scabs are probably starting to come off, you may want to switch to room temperature liquids for drinking. Keep that water going. One other thing I found that helped was chicken broth. I know it doesn't sound appetizing, but it totally soothed my throat on days 5-10. With you being younger, you should start feeling better very soon! Hang in there!!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
(female)

BPayne HB User

Hey friends! I'm back from the hospital and resting semi-comfortably. Thanks for all your prayers and support. Everything in my mouth and lips are really swollen, so that is more annoying than anything. Doc said I had terrible tonsils and a lot of scar tissue, so that's fun!

It's painful to swallow, but nothing unexpected. I will update later today.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
(male)

shmeelsybot8 HB User

I woke up and had a turn for the worse last night, or I guess it would be this morning. At around 3, I woke up really nauseous and in great pain, but the nausea was what was keeping me up. I didn't ever vomit, but it kept me from taking my meds as I felt I couldn't handle another dose, so I sat in my bathroom for two hours in pain before finally quitting and going to sleep without meds. I woke up around eight and had the courage to gulp down the disgusting magic liquid. But I am constantly bleeding now. Its only a very little bit at a time, but every time I spit up it has a little red in it. Also my phlegm is bloody and very very gross. I don't know how to end this. I don't think it is enough to send me to the ER, but its also too much to stop. WHat do I do???? I feel like there is blood dripping into the bottom of my throat or something. Blah. On the upside, I know that this will all be worth it. I had post nasal drip that got stuck in my tonsils and wreaked havoc for years. Mono, tonsillitis x100, difficulty breathing, eating, and even talking, and plenty more issues will all be gone after a few weeks.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

BPayne - Just make sure you keep drinking. It makes a huge difference. Here's hoping for a easy and speedy recovery!

shmeels - If it feels like a constand bleed, that could be what is making you nauseous. Blood is hard on the stomach. Could also be the pain meds. Did you ask for an anti-nausea med? Maybe a call to your ENT wouldn't be a bad idea. Then you could ask about the bleeding and get a prescription for an anti-nausea med. It makes a difference. Hang in there. The "de-scabbing" if by far the worst part (at least I thought so). I had the ear and neck pain as well with it and kept alternating between ice packs and a heating pad.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
(female)

BPayne HB User

Day 1 update.... I got home from the hospital around 8:45am and my only issues were my uvula and tongue being super swollen. I managed to drink a Gatorade and a ton of water which really helped. I have taken two naps, but I have set alarms to wake up and drink. I also ate some applesauce and instant mashed potatoes. My throat feels like normal tonsillitis. However, I know the fun hasn't even started. Hope you all are doing well.

-Bpayne

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

BPayne ~ Glad to hear things are going well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you will have an uneventful and easy recovery! It's nice to see positive updates.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #45
(female)

BPayne HB User

Woke up several times coughing up mucus last night. And this morning my throat is feeling worse, but it still bearable! Uvula is still huge. Hopefully my pain meds start to kick in soon! I will update on Day 2 later today. Hope y'all have a great day

Closed Thread