It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #46
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User
Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

Good morning! I had the icky mucus too. With everything swollen in the mouth, it makes it kinda rough and feels weird the first few days, but if you chew a piece of gum for a few minutes, it gets your saliva flowing and that helps break up the mucus.

Hoping you have a good day as well!!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #47
(female)

BPayne HB User

It's already day 3 for me, and day 2 was definitely worse than day 1... I took a little more pain meds and slept a large portion of the day. Ate cold cream of wheat. lt which went down realllly easily! Also I had some watered down chicken and stars which tasted great but the salt hurt my scabs. Continued to drink lots of water and a gatorade. Woke up again every hour or so last night coughing up mucus.

Morning of Day 3 has begun and I showered and feel about the same. Pain meds are about to kick in and I'll probably take a nap. Hope I find the rest of you doing well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #48
(male)

shmeelsybot8 HB User

Oh boy. I am now on day 8/9 depending if you count surgery day or not. It still SUCKS! I thought that since I am younger that this would heal quickly compared to the rest of the people with "horror stories," but I guess not. I am showing very little progress with the scabbing. They just don't seem to want to come off. The right one has progress, but hurts waaaaaaaay more, as if it was full of cancer sores that constantly were being dripped on with salt. The left side is a different story: pretty much no pain, but a full scab intact. This is so crazy, I have been in so much pain from the "sloughing" that I thought it would be done by now, but I still have a whole other side that is just drooling with anticipation to start torturing me. I am so deep in this process WHEN WILL IT END???

Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #49
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

BPayne ~ Two other things I found relatively easy to get down were cream of chicken soup and campbell's bean with bacon soup. Not so much the beans part of that, but the thicker soup part. Every little bit of nutrition helps. Sorry to hear you are having the mucus problem. It sucks not to be able to sleep through the night. I haven't been able to since the surgery, but it is getting better.

shmeels ~ Really not much to do but keep drinking what you can and keeping up with your pain meds. I never did have any major pain or bleeding on my left side, and it's all just about cleared up now. Hang in there, it really does start to get better around day 10/11.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #50
(female)

BPayne HB User

Day 3 was a little worse than day 2 but much of the same. I finally showered and felt a little better. My throat hurt a little worse than the days before. I didn't nap as much. Woke up this morning of Day 4 with ear pain and a pretty rough sore throat.

Did any of yall run out of pain meds too early?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #51
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

I didn't run out of pain meds. I ended up not taking them from about day 3 through day 5 because I was getting sick. I started them back up around day 5 when I couldn't stand the pain anymore. Hopefully your ENT will give you another prescription for them so you don't run out.

Try a heating pad around your neck and ear area for the ear pain, it may help. Hang in there!!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #52
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

Ear pain, huh? I never had that. Are you chewing gum and sleeping elevated? Chewing gum is supposed to help with that.

I still have about half of my bottle of Lortab. The taste of it made me sick, so I had my ENT switch me to pills on Day 4. I agree with Mom. Call your ENT and ask for a refill or some pills.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
(female)

BPayne HB User

Called my ENT and got more nausea and pain meds prescribed. I have been sleeping elevated and chewing gum. A heating pad on my ears had been helpful too. I've been drinking tons of water and mainly eating apple sauce and instant mashed potatoes.

Tomorrow will be day 5, and I'm dreading the de-scabbing phase. Talk to y'all later!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #54
(female)

BPayne HB User

Woke up last night with my ears throbbing, but a heating pad helped. Throat still hurts. Waiting on the de-scabbing process... I wake up coughing a lot. Could this cause a tear in my scabs? Hope you all are doing well

Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #55
(female)

BPayne HB User

Accidentally slept through my alarm for my 5am pain meds, and that was a hugeeee mistake. Woke up at 8:30 with the worst pain I've had all week. I've taken two doses of meds since then and I'm still not back to my usual pain level.

I'm also sick of all the foods I've been eating all week. I won't eat another mashed potato or chicken soup for a long time. Today is day 6, so hopefully only a few more days of this.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #56
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Hang in there BPayne, not much longer now and you'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Day 20 for me and my foods are still pretty limited. Nothing hard or crunchy yet, and meats still don't work well. My soft palette is still hanging low on the left side, which has been quite irritating. It makes swallowing and breathing diffucult at times. I have my follow up appt with my ENT this week, so hopefully he will tell me this is normal and will heal up soon.

Here's to a tonsil free New Year for us all!!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #57
(female)

harris2215 HB User

Hello, just wanted to offer my support. I had my tonsils out last year over Christmas Break at age 29. I did not eat anything really solid until my 3 weeks check up. Prior to that I drank ensure and watery soup. If I tried anything solid like it would get stuck in the deep pockets, after that recovery was fast and I was eating normal again. Good Luck.

Christine

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #58
(female)

BPayne HB User

Hey all- today is morning of Day 7 for me. Woke up with the most intense throat pain I've ever experienced. Just took my pain meds and it is beginning to take the edge off thank God. This has got to be the start of the long and painful de-scabbing phase. It hurts too bad to open my mouth wide enough to confirm that so I'm just assuming. Hope you all are doing well. I hope I only have a couple more days of this. I'm not sure how much more I can handle

Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #59
(female)

BPayne HB User

Today is day 8 and I went back to my ENT. He said no sign of de-scabbing yet. Prescribed another big bottle of pain meds and said it would probably be another week of pain. Ughhhh I'm so sick of this.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #60
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Awwwe, so sorry you weren't able to skip the days of pain. When I first starting reading the messages on this board, my thoughts were those were only the extreme cases. Sad to say that everything I read was dead on. The good side of it is though, at least I was prepared and knew that I wasn't an oddball case.

21 days today and I am still dealing with a sore throat on the right side. I can't wait to see my ENT to see when everything will be back to "normal".

I really just want a big, messy cheeseburger and fries...

Closed Thread