It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #61
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User
Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

Oh, and as un-appetizing as it sounds, I did find that just regular chicken broth warmed up was very soothing to the throat.

Hang in there BPayne, you'll be through it in no time!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #62
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User
Talking Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SJnDA View Post
Wow. While reading the boards does get you prepared for recovery, there is just no way to REALLY understand the pain of the "scab days".... Without a doubt, THE MOST painful think I have ever gone through. I've had two children, one natural with NO epidural and one cesarean, and neither come close to the pain I have endured the last few days. Today is Day 8 and I am hoping I am close to the end. I couldn't imagine it lasting too many more days, especially with Christmas right around the corner. Saturday night I woke to the a horrendous pain in the left side, took a few sips of water and could tell something was different. Sure enough, I had lost a scab and began bleeding. Thanks goodness my husband understood my frantic knocks on our bedroom door and got up and helped me through it all. While I have a decent pain tolerance, the whole blood thing is another thing, especially when it is coming out in mouthfuls from my own mouth. It took about fifteen minutes of rinsing with cold water but we got it stopped. I have definitely noticed since the scab coming off, the pain meds only work great for about an hour, after that it is only enough to take the edge off. Woke up about an hour ago with similar pains and it feels different again, so I'm thinking maybe more scabs came off. Sorry for the rambling post, but it is 4:30 in the morning so there's no one to talk to hear and it's just nice to ramble on for a while anyway.

Oh, and choirgirl, if you do read this, my diet the last couple of days has consisted of mashed potatoes and cream of chicken soup. You are right, the potatoes are about the only of substance tha works. The cream of chicken soup is perfect, very soothing on the raw throat.

Anyways, I think my meds have finally kicked in again so off to sleep for a couple more hours before the kids wake up! Thanks for listening...
Hi Mom2SJnDA,

I just joined today and read your post. I am 33 and had my tonsils and adenoids out in September and boy did I have a go at it. My tonsils were huge and my Dr. said that they were very deep.. he had to go all the way to the muscle!! My Dr said that I lost a lot of blood during surgery and ended up biting my tongue waking up with stitches and getting rushed to ICU.. NOT what I had planned! I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. I could only drink water and eat chicken broth. Then pudding, Pediasure, and Ice cream was pretty much all I could eat. It would take me an hour to eat one little pudding. The 5th day I started vomiting.. ended tearing the back of my throat open and almost had to go back into the hospital. The whole experience was terrible... I had high hopes and even planned on taking care of myself during post op. I am stubborn!! LOL! PLEASE if anyone has not had their surgery make sure you have a back up plan!! It is different for everyone not to scare anyone but be prepared! For some its a piece of cake.. but some like me not!!

Mom2SJnDA I have to say that your comment about having children and comparing the pain to this surgery made me giggle. When I was able to return back to work a month later I told everyone that I was no longer afraid to have babies.. the natural way!!. BRING IT ON!! LOL! I had a new look on what pain really is. I had my Tonsils on both sides of my throat and the back of my tongue removed which in turn made it extra hard for me to eat because my tongue swelled up so much! Plus me biting the heck out of it didnt help either.

I go back for my check up this friday and I am scared because I have developed so much scar tissue I only have about one fingers width of opening to swallow thru. I am afraid that I will have to go back to surgery. Its hard for me breathe out of my mouth or swallow. And when I do swallow it goes up my nose! OH.. and not to be gross.. but if anyone else has this problem please let me know. When I vomit it goes up my nose too. Does anyone else have these problem??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #63
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPayne View Post
Today is day 8 and I went back to my ENT. He said no sign of de-scabbing yet. Prescribed another big bottle of pain meds and said it would probably be another week of pain. Ughhhh I'm so sick of this.
Hi BPayne!

I just wanted to say hang in there!! It will get better! I had my Tonsils out is September and I had a terrible time! I ended up having to stay in ICU after surgery.. I used a ice pack on my throat which helped me a lot! As for things to eat. I smashed up a banana and sprinkled some sugar and cinnamon on it! Pretty good!! I had my Tonsils taken off the back of my tongue and ended up biting my tongue during surgery so I had stitches on my tongue which left it super sore. I couldn't eat anything that required me to move my tongue! LOL. I kept trying to get to solids too quickly. I was still on a liquid diet one week out. I would go to the grocery store with my brother and wish I could eat real food.. here are some things that I did find that helped!

Smashed up bananas with sugar and cinnamon

Lots of pudding!!

Pediasure

Mashed potatoes... They actually make single serving packs. Idahoan is the brand. I wasted a lot of food..only being able to eat a couple of spoonfuls at a time so this was a great find!

The best Chicken and Beef broth I found was Meijer Naturals!! They also come in single servings. They taste awesome like you poured some broth off of a roast! My brother even wanted some!!

Cream o wheat.. yeah.. some people dont like this but a lil butter and brown sugar and its yummy.. again they have instant - single serving!

Humidifier!!! I swear by this! If your throat gets dry it hurts a lot worse as I am sure you have found out!

Again hang in there! I hope you have a speedy recovery! Any questions just ask!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #64
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Hi Cathlabgirl!

Childbirth has NOTHING on tonsillectomy recovery! Ugh! I'm not sure how much you have read of the posts but my soft palate has dropped considerably on the left side, so that has been making it hard for me to swallow and breathe sometimes. I'm hoping it goes back to normal, because otherwise I think I would end up with the same issue you have, regarding vomiting out the nose. And that just doesn't sound pleasant at all. I'm hoping at my follow-up on Wednesday my ENT tells me not to worry, this is normal and will correct itself in time.

Here's hoping you don't have to have another surgery to correct it!!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #65
(female)

BPayne HB User

Thanks cathlabgirl! I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I'm ready to...

I thought I had gone through the worst of my recovery until last night. I woke up in excruciating pain several times. Took atleast thirty minutes each time to take more pain meds and go back to sleep. Haven't been able to eat anything today. I am going to try to get some warm chicken broth down this afternoon. Day 9 is the worstttt. Hope this finds all of you eating something delicious and feeling well.

-Bpayne

Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #66
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPayne View Post
Thanks cathlabgirl! I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I'm ready to...

I thought I had gone through the worst of my recovery until last night. I woke up in excruciating pain several times. Took atleast thirty minutes each time to take more pain meds and go back to sleep. Haven't been able to eat anything today. I am going to try to get some warm chicken broth down this afternoon. Day 9 is the worstttt. Hope this finds all of you eating something delicious and feeling well.

-Bpayne
Oh no! My worst day was day 8.. I was in tears with frustration and pain! But after that it got better. I had got to the point that my whole body would shudder when I tired to swallow just my spit! I had to prepare for it... then I would get mad and take a mouth full of something and try to swallow really fast.. that didnt work either... I ended up not taking my pain meds for a day because of nausea so my whole mouth/cheeks/ears/throat.. well pretty much my whole face hurt. I know where you are! I just kept myself drugged up and my head elevated. I also had the ice pack wrapped around my throat and a cool towel on my forehead. That helped... OH and I was given liquid Lidocaine for my first check up because I was in so much pain I couldn't swallow my saliva. You swish it around in your mouth and spit it out. That helped!! It numbed my tongue and throat enough so I could get down the broth and water... and then the pain meds. You can check into that if you dont have some.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #67
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SJnDA View Post
Hi Cathlabgirl!

Childbirth has NOTHING on tonsillectomy recovery! Ugh! I'm not sure how much you have read of the posts but my soft palate has dropped considerably on the left side, so that has been making it hard for me to swallow and breathe sometimes. I'm hoping it goes back to normal, because otherwise I think I would end up with the same issue you have, regarding vomiting out the nose. And that just doesn't sound pleasant at all. I'm hoping at my follow-up on Wednesday my ENT tells me not to worry, this is normal and will correct itself in time.

Here's hoping you don't have to have another surgery to correct it!!

I had problems with the right side of my tongue being swollen for quite sometime. That went away. If its just swelling of your soft palate I think you should be ok!! It took a good 2 months for everything to start to look as though it was healed. The pockets in the back of my throat were huge because of the Tonsils being so deep. All in all I am happy to of had the surgery done!! My adenoids were huge making it hard for me to breathe out my nose and sleep at night. Plus my tonsils were huge.. always had a sore throat and those stinky white things.. eewww!! I LOVE the fact that they are gone and I can breathe out my nose!!! I also sleep the whole night without waking up every hour snoring!! So as long as things are ok and my throat will expand on its own without another surgery then I am very happy!

Good luck on your check up tomorrow!!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #68
(female)

BPayne HB User

I am hoping tomorrow will bring a little relief. I wasn't able to eat anything today besides a little instant mashed potatoes and a cup of applesauce. Everything else stung SO bad. I hope that means my de-scabbing is underway. I dread the night time and going to sleep since the past four nights or so I have woken up in terrible pain and coughing up mucus. I'm soooo ready for this to be over!!! Thank y'all for listening to my whining.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #69
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Cathlabgirl, I hope you are right, because I'm not sure I could live with my soft palate hanging so low. Do you remember how long before the pain was entirely gone? This is day 23 for me (including surgery day) and I still wake up with a sore throat and it stays that way all day. Granted, it is nothing nearly as bad as the first couple weeks after surgery, but still, I am pretty much over it. I just want to be able to sleep through the night. Having to wake up and chug water all night is getting really old...

BPayne, Sorry to hear you're still having a rough time of it. This is what? Day 10 for you? Hopefully you will start to feel some improvements in the next day or so!! Hang in there!! If it's any consolation, I'm not eating any of the good foods I want, I am still keeping to a fairly soft diet. I am so sick of mashed potatoes right now, LOL! I keep saying, I just want a cheeseburger with the works and fries!! Hopefully soon...mmmm!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #70
(female)

BPayne HB User

Another reason to hate the nighttime, I woke up this morning with the feared mouth full of blood... I spit up a couple mouth fulls and then I'm still spitting small drops out. It appears to be slowing. This surgery is the worst!!!! At least my throat pain isn't a 9 this morning. Will update you all later. In case I bleed out, I've enjoyed getting to know you all.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #71
(female)

Ange647 HB User

Hi, everyone

My surgery for tonsillectomy removal is Friday, January 7, 2010. I really appreciate the posts everyone has done to prepare me for what is coming up. This thread has been a real eye opener but I feel more prepared for surgery on Friday.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #72
(female)

BPayne HB User

Good luck Ange! Reading these forums really helps get you prepared for the surgery. If you prepare for the worst you might be surprised if it's less than terrible.

Today is day 10 for me and apart from the bleeding, it has been my best day since the day of surgery. I have lost most of my scabs in the past two and a half days. Yesterday (day 9) was my absolute worst day. So I really needed today's relief.

I have followed everyone's suggestions and drank so much water everyday. Foods that have worked best for me have been instant mashed potatoes, jello, cream of wheat, and my latest obsession is scrambled eggs! I wish I would have been eating them all week. Full of protein and fairly easy to swallow.

I am hoping to be completely off of pain meds by friday so I can make the 7 hour drive home to Dallas to see my family before classes resume at the end of January.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #73
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

cathlabgirl - may I ask why you had your tonsils removed?

My surgery is scheduled for next week, 1-11-11. Hoping all of you feel better, soon!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #74
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly Kelly View Post
cathlabgirl - may I ask why you had your tonsils removed?

My surgery is scheduled for next week, 1-11-11. Hoping all of you feel better, soon!
Hi!

I had strep throat really bad as a child that was never treated. So I ended up with tons of scar tissue which causes the good ole crypts. (deep pockets) I also had the yucky white balls that came out. I Always had a sore throat Strep infections and my tonsils were huge! My right one was so large I started having problems swallowing. Food would get stuck in my throat. I had problems with my adenoids too. Not being able to breathe out of my nose and trouble sleeping at night. I LOVE being able to breathe out my nose now!! =^)

Good luck with your surgery!! I think it all depends on how much scar tissue you have and how deep your tonsils are on how your recovery is going to be. Although I am having a problem with scar tissue from the tonsillectomy I am still happy I had it done!!! I read through a lot of posts before my surgery and like others thought.. OH that wont be me! Well it was! I didnt have a problem with the scabs as others are talking about. I had my surgery done with the Da Vinci robot. They used cautery... which means they burned them off. There are different ways to have the surgery. How are you having yours removed??? If you have any questions ask!! And good luck! Make sure you have someone that will be available to stay with you! Just in case! =^)

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #75
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange647 View Post
Hi, everyone

My surgery for tonsillectomy removal is Friday, January 7, 2010. I really appreciate the posts everyone has done to prepare me for what is coming up. This thread has been a real eye opener but I feel more prepared for surgery on Friday.
Good luck Ange!!! I wish you a fast recovery! And remember the golden rule!! Drink, drink.. and the second one.. make sure you keep up on the pain meds! Set your alarm if you have to! =^)

Closed Thread