It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #121
(female)

Cathlabgirl HB User
Re: Countdown to Tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontay View Post
That is basically my worst nightmare scenario. I hope that you don't have to go through that again and feel better soon.
Hi Tontay! If your tonsils were big and as deep as mine you will for sure want to be off at least 2 weeks. I went back to work after 26 days and I was still in pain and not eating a full diet. My ENT said that I was going to have a rough go at it... because of how deep the tonsils were and the scar tissue was from all the infections!! Talking was the worst! So if that is your job.. then you might want to be off longer. I am super independent and a tough person.. been through a lot but nothing compared to this! It seems silly to be in such pain but as my ENT explained.. they have to go all the way to the muscle in your throat. Mine were really deep and I ended up thinking I was going home the same day but ended up having to stay in the hospital. (Heck I thought I would be up and going in 4 days!!! Hahaha!! RIGHT!) And being the independent person I am.. I though it was silly to have someone stay with me. But my brother fought my stubbornness and came to stay with me! THANK GOD!!! And as brother and sisters do.. I was sick of him and we were ready to tear each others heads off by day 10.. by that time I was ok to take care of myself. Try not to be a hero! Just let who ever is there baby you! Take as much time off as you can! And just remember!! The pain will go away!! I promise!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #122
(female)

tontay HB User

The 24 hour countdown has begun. Surgery is tomorrow at 12:30 pm. My nerves are a mess but I know I'm doing the right thing.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #123
(female)

BPayne HB User

Good luck, tontay! Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #124
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Best of luck to you tontay!! Here's wishing for an easy and speedy surgery and recovery!

A month ago, I might have hesitated about recommending this surgery. Today, while I still have some small issues, I can DEFINITELY tell a difference in my energy levels and how I feel. It could be rough, but in the long run, most definitely worth it.

Please keep us posted and "yell" if you have any questions.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #125
(female)

tontay HB User

Hey everyone --

I'm 24 hours post surgery and so far I'm doing very well. Post surgery my pain was around a 7. Today my pain has been steady at a 4 with children's over the counter liquid tylonol. Due to the sleep apnea the doctor advised me to stay away from the narcotic as much as possible. I have been constantly sucking on popcicles and ice. Nothing warm if hot for 7-10 days per doctors orders. I think everything I read and all the prep work I did helped immensely.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #126
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User

Glad to hear you are doing well tontay. Here's hoping it stays that way! Best of luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #127
(male)

mathiss01 HB User

I wish i would have found this forum sooner. I had my tonsils, adenoids and uvula removed on 2/10/11 and you guys have all been a huge help. I have severe sleep apnea as many as 42 incidents per hour. I put this surgery off for 2 years because I was scared because i heard it was a painful surgery. With today being day 4 if counting the surgery day 1 the pain is horrible. I tried to back off my hydrocodene yesterday but I am back on it. My diet has consisted of applesauce, yogurt, jello and several soups. Other then the crazy pain it has been ok but my tongue is so swollen and feels numb. I am taking 2 weeks off since i talk a lot with customers. If you have any suggestions on treatment I am open I can't wait to eat normal food.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #128
(female)

tande HB User

Mathis,
Hello, I am now 13 days post op from adenoid and tonsil removal (including surgery day) and this is my second day back at work. Friday was really my turning point. I'm still sore and it's a little uncomfortable when I talk (I have a service oriented job and talk all day long), but I made it through yesterday and still felt well enough to chase kids, make dinner and spend time with my husband in the evening. I'm impressed with the variety of food you've eaten. It still hurts to eat foods for me; however, I've found that sucking on Ricola cough drops throughout the day really helps with the throat discomfort. I also found I was most comfortable sleeping upright.

Good luck with your recovery. I expect with the addition of the Uvula removal your recovery will be a bit slower.

My first day with minimal pain relievers was Wednesday and that was because I had an exam scheduled; otherwise, it would have been Thursday.

Last edited by tande; 02-15-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edited to add information about pain relief

Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #129
(female)

PonyLover375 HB UserPonyLover375 HB User

I hope you all recover well and soon I'm 14 and I had mine out when I was 12 so I can only imagine the pain it would be for an adult. I ate nothing and lost a ton of weight. Get well soon!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #130
(male)

mathiss01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Mathis,
Hello, I am now 13 days post op from adenoid and tonsil removal (including surgery day) and this is my second day back at work. Friday was really my turning point. I'm still sore and it's a little uncomfortable when I talk (I have a service oriented job and talk all day long), but I made it through yesterday and still felt well enough to chase kids, make dinner and spend time with my husband in the evening. I'm impressed with the variety of food you've eaten. It still hurts to eat foods for me; however, I've found that sucking on Ricola cough drops throughout the day really helps with the throat discomfort. I also found I was most comfortable sleeping upright.

Good luck with your recovery. I expect with the addition of the Uvula removal your recovery will be a bit slower.

My first day with minimal pain relievers was Wednesday and that was because I had an exam scheduled; otherwise, it would have been Thursday.
I am dreading going back to work, I just hope I have all my energy back. I also found sleeping upright helps my only problem is that still sleep with my mouth open and everything is dry. The uvula was only to be trimmed but i guess they felt it was necessary to remove it. Thanks for the tips!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #131
(female)

tontay HB User

I'm on my 5th day if we count surgery day and the swelling has gone down enough that I can see the scabs on the back of my throat now. They are itchy but I have been keeping things under control with children's tylonal and ice. For those still suffering I wanted to pass along that my doctor said everything you eat for the first 7 or so days should be ice cold. I have been drinking frozen ginger ale and Apple juice along with Popcicles sorbet and frosty's and have been doing well. I had read a lot of people saying soup and broth but my doctor said nothing warmer than refridgerated. It has served me well so far so I thought I'd pass it along.

I wish you all good luck.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #132
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while - in fact, when I need to distract myself from the pain, ironically I come and read everyone else's experiences in the hope of finding that this will be over soon.

I am a 32 year old female and I had my surgery Feb 10th with the coblation method. I guess I am technically in Day 7, although it's only 2 in the morning here right now. I just woke up with the most painful throat from sleeping and I remember waking up at 1:00 am but can't remember if I took my medicine then. So I'm waiting it out to take more assuming I did take it 1:00, but boy is it painful at the moment.

My experience has been somewhat normal so far, I think. Day 1 was easy-breezy, and like others, I thought that if that was the worst of the pain, that I'd do great. Of course, the anesthesia & morphine from the hospital eventually wore off and on came the pain. For me, Days 2-the current, the pain gradually increased each day. I didn't really get a reprieve on days 2-4 or so like some say they do, but thankfully my pain seems to dissipate quite a bit during the midday and afternoon and then comes on strong around 6 or so in the evening and lasts until a few hours after I get up in the morning. I had lots of problems getting anything, including water, down for about days 2-4 and basically lived on popcycles to try and stay as hydrated as possible.

Evenings 5 & 6 were the worst so far with a major stinging fit on evening 5 that lasted for a couple of hours. Otherwise, I guess it has been manageable. I finally tried my first "foods" which were jell-o and pudding on day 4, but have mostly spent my entire day swallowing chewed ice (from Sonic) which seems to be much easier for me than drinking water, and despite that fact that others say it burns once the scabs start coming off - it has still been soothing for me. I just try to do it constantly while awake and it has started to help me get better hydrated. I managed to eat a few bites of mac & cheese last night for the first time.

I think my scabs must have started coming off a little the 5th evening when I had the major pain for a few hours. It seems each side of my throat is healing at a different rate. The left side of my throat hurt A LOT while the right side barely hurt at all the first few days. Now that has switched and the right hurts but the left feels as if it has started to heal up pretty well. And while both sides had large white scabs with specks of green in them, the left side has a much thinner layer of white with no green showing now and a little pink underneath - that is the side that feels better now. The right side is still white with lots of green specks. I'm guessing that I am healing up slower on the right side? That tonsil appeared to be about twice the size of the other when I looked in the mirror prior to the tonsillectomy, so I guess it's no surprise.

My biggest issues other than the pain so far have been a slightly mucousy throat and a numb tongue. I deal with the mucous by pushing air up against my throat when it gets thick enough and I seem to be able to blow it right out of my mouth (sorry if that's disgusting, but I figure it could help some people?). It's much less painful than coughing to do it that way. I'm a bit concerned about my tongue because the entire left side is quite numb still, and while I can still taste every thing pretty well in general, I can' taste or feel anything on that side. Everything tasted very bitter for me for a few days, but I seem to be better for the most part now.

Whew! That's a lot of details, but I know reading what everyone else is going through or has gone through in the past has helped me a lot, so I wanted to share everything, too. I'm hoping to hear that I am nearing the end of this. My hope is that I will feel great by day 10 - which will be Saturday for me. Is that reasonable to hope for?

BTW - the pain medication my doctor gave me is a new med called Nucynta. I'm wondering if anyone else has been on this and what their experience was with it. I can't decide if it's helping much or not, and I'm also wondering if I can take Tylenol with it. Because unlike other medications such as Lortab, I don't think it has Tylenol in it.

Oh, and I have to share one other thing before I go. I'm a little concerned because my period is late. I'm on BC, but I was taking antibiotics right up until the day before surgery (I had a sinus infection just prior to my tonsillectomy) and am wondering if that could have messed with it. I'm a little nervous about if I am pregnant and if I should be taking pain medication if I am. What to do? We'll see if my period starts today (probably should have started Sat or Sun) and if not, I may have to think about getting a pg test and figuring out what to do. What will I do about pain if I am??? Hopefully I'm worried over nothing and my period is just delayed because my body is stressed. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #133
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

Hello again,

Well, I survived day 7, but it was definitely the worst day yet. I had strong pain for most of the day with very little reprieve. Usually I can count on a good afternoon, but not so much yesterday. I managed to sleep about 3 hours and now I've awoken with the dreaded post-sleep super sore throat. Ice is becoming less soothing, but it's still easier than drinking a liquid, so I'm still eating it continually to try and avoid dehydration.

I had something of an emotional breakdown yesterday. Despite trying to not cry, I ended up in tears - which hurt more, so I'm really trying not to. I think the combination of lack of sleep, pain and lack of food are getting to me. To top it off, my husband got home more than 2 hours late from work because of a dead car battery and my youngest daughter (age 5) started throwing a tantrum during that time. Just wasn't feeling up to dealing with all that.

The good news is that I started my period. It must have just been delayed due to the trauma of the surgery.

So, I'm just really hoping to see a turn in all this soon. We are supposed to have company this weekend and they are going to my favorite restaurant! Oh well. . .

The right side of my throat is still looking pretty nasty, and I've decided that I think the layer of mucous that I can never get completely out is causing a lot of the ongoing pain by keeping my throat a bit raw -especially when I sleep even though I think I'm breathing through my nose.

Well, I just hope things start to look up in the next few days. I hope to see someone else post - I feel pretty lonely going through all this at the moment. If only I could see the light at the end, I think it would seem more manageable.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #134
(male)

mathiss01 HB User

adpace, I am on the same day as you and woke up with the worst pain ever as well. I try to take pain meds right before bed but my schedule got all messed up on Wednesday. My tongue is still numb and when I eat or drink cold stuff it makes it worse as if I have an ulcer right on the back corner of my tongue. I don't know if the scabs are coming off yet I just know I am ready for this to be over. My fiance has made fun of me all week cuz of the pain saying that I am a whimp she has no clue how bad this hurts especially when the pain travels to my ear. I somewhat regret doing the surgery but I know it was needed for my sleep apnea. I never thought I would say this but I am ready for this to be over so I can go back to work, lol

Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #135
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

Days 7 and 8 were the most painful days for me. Things rapidly got better after that. I went off the pain meds on Day 10. So hang in there, you two.

Last edited by choirgirl; 02-17-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Closed Thread