It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

MeshellMybell HB User
Adult Coblation Tonsillectomy tomorrow...

Hello All,

I'm scheduled to have my coblation tonsillectomy tomorrow morning and I am SO NERVOUS!!!
I'm a 34 year old female who's suffered on and off since March of this year with re-current bouts of tonsillitus. I had an peritonsillar abscess in March and my tonsills have not been right since. They cut and incision and drained the abscess to no avail. They're constantly oozing stinky puss from them and everything triggers another bout of tonsillitus. I've been to about 7 different doctors and each one told me to get my tonsils out. My tonsils have always been very large and I would occasionally get tonsillitus, but this year has been horrible. I've been on so many antibiotics this year that I've become allergic to 4 out of the 5 families of antibiotics. Since I've gotten so many allergies lately, my ENT did not give me antibiotics after the surgery and this has me worried. He's prescribed me liquid lortab, tylox, and phenegrin (sp). I am also a smoker and am wondering if this will make my recovery harder? I don't plan to smoke for the next couple of weeks and would really like to quit altogether.

I've read some HORROR stories on here regarding tonsillectomies and am frightened to death!!!! Supposedly, coblation is supposed to cut down on bleeding and healing time. We shall see.

Any words of wisdom out there would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

Mom2SJnDA HB User
Re: Adult Coblation Tonsillectomy tomorrow...

Hi there! How is your recovery going? I am scheduled in a month, so I understand why you were nervous!! I wanted to be "armed" with knowledge, so I've been doing alot of reading on these boards. It has made me more nervous than I already was, but I have had issues for sometime now, so hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! Good luck and hope you are managing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi guys ! How are you doing? Hope you are feeling better. I am very nervous too, I am trying to find a doctor in the area who performs coblation. Do you think it's worth to fo it that way?

Thnx

Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

mislicious16 HB User

I hope everything is going well. I had mine on Monday. Im glad that I read all the horror stories on the internet that way I atleast know its all normal. Im having a really recovery. Im on Day 5 and still feel terrible. They say around day 7 is when it gets really bad because your scabs start falling off. Remember that everyone is different and everyones recovery is different for eachothers. Im curious how you are doing. Keep us posted. Drink Gatorade or water!!!!!!! And dont force yourself to eat or do anything besides that!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

Thnx for your reply. I cant believe that even with coblation ppl experience such pain. My ENT doesnt perform coblation but I am going to keep looking for one who does. Have a good recovery !

Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

pjopinaldo HB User

I just had my tonsils done 3/28 - coblation method...and wanted to post a non-scary post for people like me who obsessively read up on the procedure, recovery, etc on the Internet prior to having it done. I actually had very little pain after surgery, not really requiring any pain meds but I took the Lortab anyway every 4 hours just like they prescribed, anticipating a spike in pain. I also got a swish and swallow med to coat the tonsil beds to encourage healing and help keep them moist, called Karafate. This tastes kind of bad but I feel it definitely helped me. I also got liquid Zithromax. After two days of the Lortab I became unable to keep anything down, not nauseous, my stomach would just fill up and "overflow". We called the doc and I got an anti-nausea med - took one dose, stopped the Lortab completely and yesterday (post-op day 4) I was eating well-chewed McDonald's french fries and sipping an ice cold Coke - the best things I ever tasted. I really think it was more an issue of getting my intestinal motility restarted post-anesthesia, but the antiemetics worked great...My taste buds are a little muted in the back of my mouth - I kind of expected that, but today I'm eating Kraft Mac & Cheese and applesauce cups. I can taste it on the sides of my tongue, and I think my brain knows what it's supposed to taste like so it's not so bad. TIP #1: DRINK!!! They're not kidding when they say they want you drinking 16oz of fluid per hour. You will feel considerably better if you do this. My pain spikes when I wake up in the AM and after I finish a meal (soft things ONLY), but I'm having just a hint of referred ear pain and no pain at all as long as I'm not trying to swallow, yawn, burp, etc. I liked Rita's Italian ice, Gatorade (ice cold), and water (also ice cold), V8 also makes a smoothie drink that's not milky but yet feels good on your throat cold. Popsicles were a help too...I bought a lot more than I needed - thank goodness I got a kind I really like! I go back to the doctor April 11th - had planned on being out of work for 2 weeks total, and I feel like the next week is going to be nothing but better! Just drink, drink, drink, drink!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

jkaz0442 HB User

My son who is 22 just has the coblation tonsillectomy, he had his uvula made smaller, plus he had his deviated septum fixed and a turbinectomy. He had all this done 6 days ago. He is in severe pain in his throat along with his ears now. He is on roxicet every 4 hours for the pain which brings the pain level down somewhat but still has pain. From everything I have seen so far with him and what I have read that the real pain hits around day 4. Drink lots and lots of ice water. He has been able to get down scrambled eggs, chicken noodle soup and tons of jello. Nothing milky or creamy as this creates a mucus feeling in the throat. Ice pops and italian ice works good too. Stay quiet and DO NOT lay down. Sleep sitting up in a recliner if you can. Get something to keep you busy and your mind off of things. Plan on doing absolutely nothing for about 2 weeks after the surgery and limit your talking. I would not smoke...this could create a problem with hemmoraging and slow the healing process. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Closed Thread