It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
(male)

Charlieguy HB User
A couple of tonsil questions

Greetings,

I am considering having my tonsils removed but I am a little apprehensive about losing them since they seem to be a pretty important part of the immune system. I realize that many people have this operation and lead healthy lives after, but aren't the tonsils important in filtering out the bacteria and viruses? Won't the bacteria just be free to make its way into the lungs?

I have had a swollen right tonsil for about 3 months now. I had a strep test and a culture done and both came back negative. I went to an ENT who gave me some antibiotics and told me that if they didn't go down I would probably need to have them taken out. I took the antibiotics but the swelling is still there.

While my tonsils do not necessarily hurt, there is some discomfort. And it seems like I am having more problems then usual with my throat and nose. I had a weird soar throat near my Adam's apple, which has never happened before. I have also had a couple of soars in my nostril and on my nose. Plus I just do not feel 100% lately, although I am not convinced that this last part isn't in my head.

I guess I am wondering if I should keep the tonsils or have them removed for piece of mind. I just can't seem to make up my mind. In any event, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

CharlieShow

Last edited by Charlieguy; 12-05-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: A couple of tonsil questions

Your tonsils are rotten. They aren't working properly and are actually doing the reverse of what they need to do. They are putting poisons into your system. Would you leave an infected gallbladder or appendix in? The tonsils need to go. My mother refused to have mine out when I was a child. i was hopistalized numerous times, had everything from tonsillitis to pneumonia and back again. Ended up allergic to many antibiotics because I took so many for my tonsils. When I was 25, I had them out. I am 64 now. Never had another strep throat, no pneumonia, no ear infections, only one sinus infection, and of course no tonsilitis, and only one case of the flu in the ensuing almost 40 years. I certainly did the right thing having them out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
(male)

Charlieguy HB User

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't really thought about it like that, but it makes sense. I guess I was hoping I would eventually be able to fight off whatever has infected the tonsil but it doesn't seem likely. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My story is similar to Titchou's. Numerous bouts of tonsilitis as a child. On antibiotics for years. My tonsils were chronically infected. Full of tonsil stones, but doctors would tell me that was just food particles. I began getting horrible "sinus" headaches during my mid-20s and would take pain relievers and decongestants constantly -- several times a day. After particularly terrible headaches with dizziness, I realized that my "tonsil stones" became even more prevalant during those times. Sometimes my tonsils would bleed.

Mid-30s I finally had my tonsils removed. The ENT indicated that they were full of nastiness. One side contained about a golf ball sized mess of white exudate. I immediately noticed that I could breathe much better. And I no longer get "sinus" headaches. I maybe take a pain reliever once or twice a year. Those things were so rotten, they made me feel terribly sick.

Closed Thread