It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

BiancaJo HB User
Thumbs down Post-Tonsillectomy Questions

Hello, all. My name is Bianca. I will be 21 in March and I had my tonsils removed on Wednesday, December 1. Since then, I've been hurting.. the surgeon said that as soon as he touched a tonsil, "infection just started pouring out of it." Prior to the surgery, I had no pain--just a weird-colored tongue. Now, I can deal with pain.. but this is seriously killing me. I can't eat. I can't sleep. The pain medicine tastes horrible and doesn't really help much.. what can I do?

All day today, I have had the urge to cough. I am afraid to cough or sneeze because I do not want to bleed. I want to see if my scabs are forming, but it pains me to try to open my mouth.

I am becoming extremely depressed. This state of mind is probably hindering my recovery.. but I can't help it. I sit here alone and in agonizing pain... for nothing. If the tonsils weren't causing me pain, why did they need to be removed? I know I sound like a whiny little kid.. I swear I'm not normally like this. I can't help it.. I just wanna cry.

I've never felt pain like this before.. I didn't realize I could hurt this much. How do I know when the scabs are coming off? I feel... something in my throat. Am I supposed to cough? I feel like I need to, but I'm afraid..

Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Post-Tonsillectomy Questions

Hi, fellow Hoosier. You really do need to eat...and DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. Also, chew lots of gum. You need to work the muscles in your jaw to help relieve the pain.

The easiest thing for me to eat was instant mashed potatoes. Real mashed potatoes would be good, too, but instant is so much faster to make. You can make them as thin as they need to be to make swallowing easier.

See if your doctor will switch you to pain pills. I couldn't hack the liquid stuff (YUCK!), so I switched to Norco pills.

Are you using ice packs on your neck? Are you having any ear pain, or just throat pain?

Coughing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

You're not alone. There's lots of support here. Keep reading and asking questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

Also, has the pain gotten worse recently?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

BiancaJo HB User

I'll try to call the doctor tomorrow to ask about pills instead. Thank you.

The pain has gotten worse every day. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my onslaught of depression, though.

I have been having extremely bad ear pain. Everything hurts far worse at night... what do I drink? Anything? Also, this is awkward to discuss, bit I've been having really nasty diarrhea. Is this due to the medicine or the lack of food?

Edit. They gave me an ice pack, but I don't have ice to put in it. I have used a frozen bag of peas a few times to try to combat the pain.

Last edited by BiancaJo; 12-06-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Additional info

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

Before my tonsillectomy, I had read several posts on these boards about awful ear pain in the mornings. So...I didn't lie down. I spent the first 9 nights in a recliner. I don't know if that's what did it, but I didn't have any ear pain at all. Also (I said it before, but I'll say it again), chew lots of gum. Use a heating pad if you have one.

Here's what my post-op instructions said about ear pain: "The patient will complain of ear pain for up to 10 days. This pain is referred from the tonsil area and has nothing to do with the ears...Older children and adults will tend not to want to chew due to discomfort. However, chewing is very important in order to shorten the length of those early painful days. Chewing gum is very helpful to encourage the use of the jaw muscles and relieve the spasm which contributes greatly to the pain."

I just drank water. My instruction sheet says, "One glass of fluid for every waking hour is best. Gatorade is excellent because it contains essential electrolytes. Food is to be encouraged. The more you eat, the better you heal."

Don't know about the diarrhea. I suppose the medicine could be the cause. Most people on the boards seem to complain about constipation.

Frozen peas are a good idea. I made 3 ice packs and rotated them. For each ice pack, I added 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 2 cups water to a gallon-size plastic zipper bag, then put that bag inside another one (to guard against leaks) and put in the freezer. They freeze slushy. I wrapped mine in a flour sack dish towel so it wouldn't feel too cold against my skin. A T-shirt or pillowcase would work, too. But I think frozen peas probably work great. If they're too cold, wrap them in something.

I don't know what to say about the pain getting worse everyday. Maybe it's because you're not working your jaw muscles.

I have to leave now. I have Bible study in 10 minutes, but I'll check back later. Don't worry. It'll get better.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
(female)

BiancaJo HB User

How much should I chew gum? I started chewing it and it was helping, but after a while, I spit it out because I didn't want to overdo it. I also tried eating some chicken and noodles. Is that bad? My throat hurts horribly now. I managed to look back into my throat and saw some blood. However, I don't taste it. Is it a clot in the back of my throat? If so, is that ok? Would it hurt my throat to yawn? Should I be able to open my mouth? Should I continue to eat food even though it is very painful?

I don't know what to do.. I hate feeling so hopeless and bleak..

Last edited by BiancaJo; 12-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
(female)

In my case, if I wasn't eating, drinking, or sleeping, I was chewing gum. I don't think there's any such thing as overdoing it. My doctor even said, "Chew lots of gum." And it has the side benefit of keeping your throat moist.

Chicken and noodles is fine. You should be able to eat anything you want as long as it's not too spicy. My instructions read, "Begin with clear liquids and advance to a regular diet as tolerated. Avoid citrus fruit juices. Avoid hot and highly seasoned foods for the first week." I started eating instant mashed potatoes the day after my surgery. They went down so easily that I practically lived on them. They were my breakfast every morning and part of every lunch and supper.

I didn't have any bleeding, so I'm afraid I can't answer that one. My instruction sheet (I seem to refer to it a lot, don't I?) says, "If there are more than 3 teaspoonfuls of bright red bleeding, or vomiting of coffee ground color old blood, please call your doctor. If you are unable to reach the doctor, go to the emergency room of the hospital."

I don't think yawning would damage your throat, but, yes, yawning hurt. So did sneezing. However, for some reason, I never needed to do either until I was completely off my pain meds.

I didn't have any trouble opening my mouth, but maybe I'm an exception.

Yes, you should continue to eat even though it hurts. Seriously, try some mashed potatoes (instant are fast and easy). They're so smooth. There's no tiny little pieces to stick to the back of your throat. They just slide down. If your throat is really, really sore, thin them with some milk or water. On my Days 7 & 8, which were my most painful days (when the "scabs" were coming off), I made them very thin, so they were easier to swallow even though it still hurt quite a bit.

Give it some time...You'll be fine...Keep chewing gum and drinking water...Remember...This, too, shall pass.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Sucrettes lozonges can help with the pain (the ones with diclonine in them, dont get the menthol ones)

Give your doctor a call, he might be able to give a different pain med, or ofer some other advice, check with him just to make sure everything is ok.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
(female)

candygirlpain HB User
Smile Re: Post-Tonsillectomy Questions

Hi bianca, I'm not even the one to participate n these msg boards but after this surgery I had to see if others are goin through what I'm goin through. You had your surgery the DAY after mine. I was probably just leaving the hospital with day 1 recovery cause they had me stay overnight wen u was finishing.OMG! I have a very high pain tolerance received ACL reconstruction on my knee and went alots of times not even taking meds just taking the pain cause I've never been a take pain killers kind of person but with this one...... I'm almost done with my. Whole bottle of oxycodone! With that said. I can't eat don't really think about it! Its the most painful mess in the world I've tried mash potatos, baby food, soup, eggs, grits... with them all I might do two bites just yesterday what has worked for me was cheeto puffs lettin them get soggie and I drink ensure forcefully cus nothing else works.my pain med isn't bad only cus I took it to rite aid or cvs does it and had them flavor it I had watermelon. It was not bad. I know bout that cough I can't hold back I just try to limit the force of it its cause u have a lot of mucus back there I let it come up put water in my mouth and swoosh it out not gargle. If I'm goin to get yelled at tomorrow will be my day I go to the doc. My biggest problem has been staying hydrated cus it hurts to drink I take sips everynow and then but wats saving me I believe is rinisng my mouth out with water very often and my humidifier beside my bed. Also periodically I spay sore throat med in my throat they gave it to me at the hospital but u can buy it anywhere it also numbs ur throat helpin with pain and u can take advantage of drinking then. Your sabs r there. Min is fallin some I know cause it feel like clumpy milk or cottage chees is in the back of my throat and on my tounge another advantage to me rinising is I spit that stuff that's coming off and ready to come off my tounge.I got a q tip and softly scrape some off my tounge not goin to deep and back I don't touch the stuff in the back look n the girl u gotta know wats growing and falling and stinkying and all that in ur mouth! And be a cry baby cause anybody whose had this surgery as an adult understand! I feel the pain any info I find out tomorrow @ my doctor follow up I will 411 you good Luck like everyone tells me it'll be over soon.
I'm about to go to the store now to get ice pack remixes and gum imma have to try that too but mainly ur ear hurting cus ur throat dry mine too!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
(female)

BiancaJo HB User

Thank you all for posting.. today is precisely one week after my surgery, though I consider it to be Day 8 since my surgery was in the morning. I am feeling frustrated now because of the lack of progress. Yesterday was a great day! I didn't feel much pain all day, and I even felt well enough to build a cat tree for our cats to play on. However, last night I couldn't sleep due to the horrible pain and today has been painful so far. I have a new question... when I take the pain medicine, hydrocodone, it burns my throat. Is this bad, or does it mean that the throat is healing?

Yesterday I managed to eat some macaroni, but had to eat a Popsicle for dinner. My fiancé knows I love chicken, so he made my favorite kind with only a small bit of spice on it. I thought that since I felt ok, I could eat it. When I did, it burned soooo badly! Yesterday, I also drank quite a bit of water and tea.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
(female)

candygirlpain HB User
Smile Re: Post-Tonsillectomy Questions

As of today after going to my follow up day 9 and I don't go back to the doctor for another month. They said the healing process from this point will begin to get better and heal pretty quick I take the samething and lately have been feeling the burn and today I asked my doctor at my follow up about it and he said its becus some scabs fell off and that area hadn't completely healed but its healing the most important thing is that ur not bleeding so sting is good cus u know its healing just continue to take antibiotics call doc to see if u need more if u have finished it cus he represcribed me more the doctor said the key to a speedy recovery is PROTEIN lots of it. But atleast ur eating chicken cause I haven't made it that far yet if I do go big I can only eat like one or two bites. And also they said hot or warm tea helps with the scabs

Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
(female)

inquistivegirl HB User

i am tired of trying to figure out where to post my question.. so i am just gonna put it right here and if anyone can help me i would totally love to hear from you..

i am 9 days post op tonsillectomy today... the question i have is... Is it normal to have toungue pain?? i am in starvation mode.. and eat like 2 bites of something thats all i can tolerate.. i am drinking my fluids... and water is the only that doesnt burn my throat.. cant even drink gatorade.. i am taking my pain meds every 4 to 4.5 hours.. thank God for liquid narcotics... it just makes me high.. not even touching the pain really.. the pain is always there.. so my question is.. every time i try to eat something.. i take the smallest bite and put water in my mouth to help it go down.. i get a STINGY sharp hurt pain on my toungue.. way in the back.. and it hurts so bad... i try to swallow some water again to help it subside.... and in a few moments it disappears.. then if i try to eat again.. it arrives.. so .. i have lost 14 pounds.. thats fine.. i dont even care.. i just want to know if its a defect from surgery.. is that sharp stingy pain gonna go away.. maybe its nerve pain? its in the center bottom of my toungue and way in the back.. or on the sides even.. ?? What gives?

Closed Thread