It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

swine09 HB User
Exclamation choking on phlegm after coughing, traumatized

In the summer of 2009 I had swine flu while I was at overnight camp, and my symptoms were not taken care of. Extreme amounts of phlegm gathered in my throat and chest to the point that I was coughing constantly and became extremely sore and weak, unable to produce effective coughs. Finally one day I tried to clear my throat, and my airway was entirely blocked by mucus. I could not talk or cough and had to get the attention of my friend by dropping my metal waterbottle. A counselor then proceeded to lift my arms above my head and try to get me to breathe. I started to make a noice like a donkey in an effort to get air into my lungs. I got lightheaded and blacked out. The entire episode lasted maybe 30 seconds, and finally I spit up and was able to breathe again... but only after I was CONVINCED I was going to die. I am traumatized and do not know how to not choke on phlegm now. How do I clear it and not choke?

Closed Thread