It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Exclamation Post nasal drip, bad sore throat

Hi all,

Sorry if this is kinda long. Starting in the beginning of December, I had very bad sinus headaches, which I'm pretty sure turned into a sinus infection. I took a z-pak, and the sinus headaches cleared up pretty fast, but then I started having very bad post nasal drip and a severe sore throat. That started around Dec. 11th, and is still continuing today (the 27th). I can actually see **** dripping down the back of my throat, and occasionally am coughing up globs of green stuff, with a tiny bit of blood - like a dot of blood. Usually after coughing this up, my throat will hurt less. Sometimes the throat pain feels like its on one side, then it feels like its in the middle. Today, the **** seems less green and more of a clear color, with no blood. There are some times throughout the day where my throat doesn't hurt, but then usually I will wake up with it again. Occasionally I have a cough, but its more like a tickle.

I just started taking Mucinex, and use the neti pot once a day. I am not sure if I should use the neti pot (nasal irrigation) more times per day? I've also been gargling with salt water a few times per day.

I also have suffered from acid reflux in the past that caused an irritated throat, but nothing like this with the **** and such a sore throat.

Does anyone know if post nasal drip can cause a sore throat? It hurts to swallow and even feels kinda wierd to swallow food. I have always had large tonsils but they have never been infected. I can see very tiny white dots on my tonsils. My throat doesn't look overly red to me.

Coincidentally, I did go to Urgent Care yesterday because I woke up with a red swollen eye, which turned out to be pink eye. I have never had pink eye before. I told the doctor about my throat and she basically just brushed it off. She did look at it, but wasn't at all concerned with it.

On top of all this, for the past few days I've had a stomach ache, just a gassy type of pain. Oh - and I had a root canal on the 23rd.

I am not sure if any of these symptoms are related but I am getting a bit nervous and frustrated because I dont know what is causing it - acid reflux, post nasal drip, something else?

I do not like my regular primary care doctor, she has an awful bed side manner and always makes me feel stupid. I have an appointment with a new doctor in about 3 weeks, but I really dont want to suffer with this sore throat for that long.

I have no fever, no vomiting. I'm 40 years old.

Any ideas?

Carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

polacco1 HB User
Re: Post nasal drip, bad sore throat

hey how are you? I am not saying that this will help but I had the exact same problem. You may have a parastie inside you and can be causing a yeast infection. Ask your doctor to test you for candida albicans I have only been on natural vitamins to clear this up and so far I dont feel lathargic anymore or a lump in my throat or that damn post nasal drip i had for a year. Either way it cant hurt good luck let me know how it works out...btw youre not crazy there is something there

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
(male)

polacco1 HB User

I am not sure you got my message, however, get tested for Candida Albicans AKA a yeast infection in your body not in your private area. I have been taking natural vitamins for this and in less then a week I feel like a million dollars. It cant hurt and no you are not crazy i had the same thing for almost a year and I vowed to share the good news with all. let me know how it works out for you

Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

Yellowhippo HB User

Hi Carrie1973, I have post nasal drip also, just got the neti pot and am going to try it. Those white things on your tonsils may be tonsil stones. I had them, and if you google tonsil stones, or tonsiloliths (It think that is the correct spelling), you will be able to see if yours are tonsil stones. They may be contributing to your problem. Hope this helps. ;0)

Closed Thread