It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

virtuoso735 HB User
What's causing this buzzing sound in my ear?

About a week ago, I started to notice a low buzzing sound in my left ear. It's pretty constant: sometimes it's louder, but it's always there. It's not particularly loud, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm not sure what caused it, but I do have some ideas. Last Monday, I went to the dentist and after a routine cleaning, he prescribed me an antibiotic (50 mg Doxycycline Cyclate) after my gums started bleeding during the cleaning. I went to the pharmacy the next day and picked up my prescription, and started to take it as prescribed (one a day after a meal). That night, I went out to a bar with friends and had a few drinks, and that same night, I noticed a buzzing sound in my left ear. I wrote it off because I thought it was caused by the music in the bar, but in reality, the music wasn't unusually loud. The sound level was actually quite tolerable. And shouldn't there be buzzing in both ears if the music caused it? Also, no one else in the group reported anything strange.

In any case, I woke up the next morning and the buzzing was still there. I thought it wasn't a big deal, but it has persisted until now (a week later). I did some googling and found out that some antibiotics (including doxycycline) can induce tinnitus, so I stopped taking it immediately. I had already taken 4 pills by that point.

I also work out a lot (weight-lifting), and had a minor back injury a few days earlier. Could this be the cause of the tinnitus? Or is the antibiotic to blame? I have no other symptoms, and I'm otherwise a healthy 22-year old male. What's going on?

If it's caused by the antibiotics, will the buzzing ever go away? If it's caused by the injury, will it get better?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: What's causing this buzzing sound in my ear?

virtuoso735: Do you have TMJ? That can cause tinnitus too. See if you can find some LipoFlavonoid and take it for a while. It's supposed to help with tinnitus. The music probably didn't help matters. Loud music can cause problems with the ears over time.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
(female)

kellyablanchett HB User
Re: What's causing this buzzing sound in my ear?

I am an audiologist, and I have level two tinnitus. Tinnitus unfortunately has no cure. Trust if there was a way to cure it, then I would gladly tell. There are however some natural ways to ease the Tinnitus so it is not as agitating that are proven by medical professionals as effective.

1. Cut down caffiene: caffiene irritates the Tinnitus
2. Try not to overstress: like any other problem, too much stress makes it worse.
3.Cut down on salty foods: salt makes tinnitus worse.

Hope this helps you as it helps me.

Closed Thread