It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

aefef HB User
Angry Tonsil remnants!

Hi all,

Well i had a tonsillectomy 2 years ago, and it went perfect. The tonsils are gone. The problem is that it seems i've got tonsil-like lymphoid tissue, on my mouth walls (left and right, near where my tonsils were, but not the same place). And what's worse...these tonsil-like tissue have tonsil stones. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this possible to remove by a doctor? Is it more/less difficult to remove than classic tonsils?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by aefef; 01-15-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
(male)

MneckHsEsathroa HB User
Re: Tonsil remnants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aefef View Post
Hi all,

Well i had a tonsillectomy 2 years ago, and it went perfect. The tonsils are gone. The problem is that it seems i've got tonsil-like lymphoid tissue, on my mouth walls (left and right, near where my tonsils were, but not the same place). And what's worse...these tonsil-like tissue have tonsil stones. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this possible to remove by a doctor? Is it more/less difficult to remove than classic tonsils?

Thanks in advance
tonsil stones are not bad thing its dead white blood cells.
some surgeons leave some part of tonsils because it can grow back and you could have a new perfect tonsil the way it were.
If i ever do go to tonsillectomy i will tell my surgeon to leave the good parts of tonsils or where inflammation is little.

Last edited by MneckHsEsathroa; 01-16-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
(male)

aefef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MneckHsEsathroa View Post
tonsil stones are not bad thing its dead white blood cells.
some surgeons leave some part of tonsils because it can grow back and you could have a new perfect tonsil the way it were.
If i ever do go to tonsillectomy i will tell my surgeon to leave the good parts of tonsils or where inflammation is little.
"Tonsil stones not bad" is something subjective. For me: Yes, They Are Bad. Because, they leave me a bad taste in my mouth when i get them (nearly every day!), and my breath also gets this bad smell.

My surgeon did NOT leave any part of the tonsils. He removed, luckily the whole tonsils. THe problem is that my mouth has got extra tonsil-like tissue in its walls.

And BTW, the doctor told me my tonsils were very cryptic and need to be removed, they also had infection. So, i believe it has been a good decision to remove them completely.

So, ¿is there anyone with a similar problem? In fact, i've read here in the boards, someone that had his lingual tonsils removed. So, i suppose that is similar to my case. Do you know how is this kind of procedure done? I suppose that is more difficult to do than a classic tonsillectomy.

Last edited by aefef; 01-17-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
(male)

Grunt117 HB User

What you have described was my greatest concern before undergoing a tonsillectomy 7 days ago. I debated getting the surgery for years. My surgeon says all of my tonsils were removed, but when I look at my throat I see the pink remnant of the left tonsil, about 1/4 the size of the original. I am almost certain I'll be getting tonsil stones in this tissue once everything heals up back there. But I guess that's a risk you take when getting this surgery. I'm not sure I could take another tonsillectomy surgery.

Unfortunately, I would think your only option would be to find an ENT who is willing to surgically remove your additional tonsil tissue. If you say your first tonsillectomy went okay, then you could probably handle a second one. I suppose any ENT could do it, although I would imagine it would take a bit more skill to precisely cut out jagged tonsil tissue as opposed to removing a nice, round, whole tonsil. I've never known anyone who had their lingual tonsils removed, but as you said it can be done.

Just curious. How long after your tonsils were removed did you notice the tonsil stones? Was this additional tissue something you'd always had or something that appeared to grow only after your original tonsils were removed?

PS. I have never understood how anyone could be okay with tonsil stones. They cause me rancid breath, a bad taste, a foreign body sensation, and earaches. Like you, my doctor said the tonsils needed to come out. And sure enough, when I had the surgery a small pus pocket was found, which could have caused me serious problems later in life. Tonsil stones may be natural, but they decrease one's quality of life. Normal, healthy tonsils do not harbor tonsilloliths. Otherwise, everybody would have them. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Ah...sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't imagine how much it would suck to end up with tonsil tissue and tonsil stones after all the pain and trouble of surgery.

I went through a tonsillectomy as an adult myself, and I can say that there is zero tonsil tissue back there now. I had pitted, pocked, chronically infected, sore, stone-ridden 'sils that I would manually clean with various, ahem, tools (think: toothpicks!). I am so glad I had the surgery done. And if I had to, I would do it again. I would imagine that if you have remaining tissue that is problematic, it can also be surgically removed in a straightforward manner...after all, skilled surgeons can do wonders.

Can the tissue really regenerate? Mine's been gone 17 years, so hopefully that means it's gone-gone?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

aefef HB User

Thanks a lot @grunt117 and @jennifleck for your answers.

I think i had always these "extra-tonsils" in my mouth walls, near the "standard" tonsils. So, in fact, is not a regrowth. I just thought that my doctor could have removed not only the standard tonsils, but also the extra ones. I suppose I should have told him about this. These extra tonsils have tonsil stones in the same way the standard tonsils had.

So now, i'm going to look for a doctor willing to remove these extra tissue. I suppose it will be difficult to find one, because it's a more difficult procedure...

But i want it to be done...i'm quite a perfectionist person. And i don't want to lose every day 30min in front of my mirror trying to take out tonsil stones. LOL

Closed Thread