It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

blueskygirl HB User
Question Strange tap/click in ears (not TMJ)

Hi...new here. For the past several weeks, I have had a strange noise in my ears. It sounds like two wooden pencils tapping together, quickly, only ONE time. Happens in one ear, then the other...sometimes several seconds apart, sometimes several minutes. I notice it most when I am trying to go to sleep.

I do have TMJD, but it is NOT that kind of clicking/popping noise. It is not the double click the eustachian tubes tend to make when tensing neck a certain way.

This started about the same time as a cervical flare up caused by physical therapy (my dx list is on my profile...too long for sig line). I am wondering if it could be associated with my neck? I have also developed a strange paresthesia along the right side of my head, going from just above the ear canal toward the top of my head (constant, varies in intensity). I also hear a sort of rushing roaring sound (but not like blood pressure sound). More like a strange tinnitus.

Anyone have or hear of something like this?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

txmacdee HB User
Re: Strange tap/click in ears (not TMJ)

I am not sure with the differences of what you are experiencing, but having a daughter that has had long time difficultly with ear fullness, popping, etc. We have tried anything we thought could be of help for her. One thing you might want to try is going to an Upper Cervical Chiropractic. We did this with her, and found she was so in much need of it. Some say having ear issue like yours, this has really helped them. If it does not help, you might just find that it may have helped in another area, as we did.

As for the TMJ, we know all about that too. We even had her treatment completed, but the ear popping she had, was and is not TMJ. Search up Myclonus - (brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles. It describes a medical sign and, generally, is not a diagnosis of a disease. The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions; they also can result from brief lapses of contraction.)

I hope this information helps you.

Best of luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to txmacdee For This Useful Post:
blueskygirl (01-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
(female)

blueskygirl HB User

Thanks...I do think it might be related to cervical issues. I can't do chiropractic. I am too fragile. I actually strongly suspect that it was an attempt to have one more go at physical therapy that set this off, among other things. I ended up with a major flare up in both neck and lower back. If you look at the terrible list of crap on my profile page, you will see what I am up against.

I am glad to know that someone else had a similar thing that seemed to be connected to the neck, so thanks...that is actually quite helpful. Hope your daughter continues to do well.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
(female)

txmacdee HB User

I understand what you are saying in regards to being fragile. But pls look into what is done with an upper Cervical Chiropractor. It is not the same as just a Chiropractor (Which Twist you, cracks necks back etc.)

NUCCA - National Upper Cerivical Chiropractic Association.
This is a simple thing they do without hurting and doing the normal adjustments. I think you will find looking into this very beneficial.

When my daughter went in and evaluated, she was 15 lbs heavier on her right side of her body. Her head was tilted more forward then it should be. No pain, no adjustment like a normal Chiropractor. they have special devices used to help get the spine and all aligned.

Montel Williams has a video online of him getting this treatment, as it helps with his MS.

Anyways, I do hope this information better assist you in your journey.

Thanks for the well wishes regarding my daughter, we have been done a long road to an Ear Issue she has had for almost 3 years, and not giving up. We have tried everything and anything to help her.

Best Regards,
Dee.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

blueskygirl HB User

I appreciate that...mine is a quite unusual case, though. It takes next to nothing to send me into a viscous flare up. I am sure that is a fantastic recommendation for most people, but it is not something I could do.

Closed Thread