It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
(male)

scaredscared HB User
Possible throat/tonsil growth?

My concerns are a bit lengthy but I hope that you could provide any type of insight.

I'm a 26 year old male and I've become very worried. I guess I'll start my story from the beginning.

My whole life I've had tonsil problems on and off -- occasional tonsil stones, tonsillitis, etc. I've always noticed my left tonsil to be larger than the other. A year ago, my left tonsil and the surrounding area swelled up greatly and I was diagnosed with mono. I was sick in bed for a couple weeks and then I was fine. A couple months later I started getting a variety of other symptoms - constant canker sores, persistent cough, enlarged submandibular salivary gland on the right side, enlarged nontender cervical lymph nodes on both sides.

About two or three months ago, in order to ensure everything was okay, I was given a nasal endoscopy by an ENT, a chest xray, CT scan of the neck, ultrasound of the lymph nodes in the neck and a fine needle biopsy of the largest lymph node of the neck.

All checked out clear.

Now a here I am, still with the swollen lymph nodes and salivary glands, and in the last couple days I've noticed that I get a little stinging sensation deep in the left side of my throat - especially when eating or drinking something strong or citrusy. I've read online that this could be a sign of throat cancer?

What are the odds given the range of tests I've had that this is some kind of undiagnosed neck/throat/tonsil cancer? Would tonsil cancer have shown up in the FNA biopsy? Would some kind of growth have been apparent on the CT scan? Would something have been visible on the endoscopy?

Also, it has been two or three months since these tests were done. What are the chances that something was undetectable during that time but has developed since then?

On Feb 7, I go back to the ENT for a three-month, post-biopsy check but if you could address these questions to save myself some anxiety in the meantime, I would be very, very grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
(female)

EarTubeQueen HB User
Re: Possible throat/tonsil growth?

I am 30 years old and had my tonsils removed 2 years ago. One of them was always large, and my reason for going to the ENT in the first place was because of bad breath and all those tonsil stones. I figured taking out my tonsils would cure the bad breath since the stones would be gone.

My tonsil was biopsy'd for cancer and it was normal. They did a frozen section (whatever that means).

Anyhow, I still have bad breath and I swear I brush my teeth at least twice daily, I use the TheraBreath brand mouthwash (its awesome) but still I can't seem to get rid of the bad breath.

It almost has to be something I eat... I actually think I get the bacteria overgrowth from bread perhaps? Or the yeast or wheat germ or something in there. Honestly I don't know what its from.

I am a young lady and I am having a horrible time suffering from this bad breath!

I don't know if I would be alarmed at just an enlarged tonsil but if you have all these other symptoms, there must be something going on in your body. The question is if whether or not it is something to be concerned about.

Sorry that my answer doens't really help but if they did a biopsy, and it came back as no cancer then I wouldn't be as worried but I would still be looking for answers.

I hope the best for you and your family.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

PennyMT HB User

Hello scaredscared,

I feel your pain. I used to suffer from tonsilitis chronically, and honestly the biggest thing that changed it for me would be my diet. I literally changed my body around completely just by making sure I am getting the right vitamins. I wouldn't be too worried, being that you were checked up 3 months ago. Have you tried gargling with salt water? Another thing, I am surprised that your doctor didn't suggest you getting a tonsillectomy, being you have had problems with your tonsils. Maybe next visit you should ask your doctor about that. My cousin used to get alot of the same problems that you are discribing, enlarged tonsils, the pain, the whole works, and she had hers removed, and never had anymore problems. Hope this helps. I would definitely ask your doctor about a tonsilectomy, believe me, it is so worth having!

Eartube,

Sounds like it is your diet causing the bad breath. My friend had the same problem a while back. Are you flossing at lease once daily? That's a great way to keep any bacteria that is causing smell in between your teeth. Are you a heavy coffee drinker, that can also cause bad breath. I would just try eating healthier and see what happens. Maybe switch over your toothpaste. I use the plain baking soda one. Most people are always so concerned to go for the scented ones like peppermint. The baking soda is what actually fights the smells. So maybe try that out? Or, use baking soda as a mouthwash, works wonders. Just a tbsp of baking soda, to luke warm water, and hold in mouth for 30 seconds, then make sure to rerinse with water, it should block the smells. Hope this helps

Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
(female)

IHateTonsils46 HB User

EarTubeQueen -- Sounds like you may be suffering from candidas!! Check it out on the web, there are many sites available. My sister had this problem. The overgrowth of yeast in our bodies can cause a multitude of problems. To fix it takes willpower and lifestyle/diet change by cutting out all sources of white, refined sugar, but it WILL kill the yeast.

Otherwise, it may be coming from your stomach. Chronic halitosis tends to stem from the stomach.

ScaredScared, I'm sorry you're panicking!! I don't have any answers for you except that I doubt cancer will have cropped up in two months time. Please keep up posted on what happens. Take care.

Last edited by IHateTonsils46; 02-01-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Closed Thread