It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
(female)

IHateTonsils46 HB User
Question Tonsilectomy scabs

Day 6 of my Tonsillectomy and only a very very small scab has come off. I was wondering if any of you fellow tonsillectomy-getters could tell me:

1) around what day did your scabs come off?
2) did you notice them coming off? (ie: pain, gagging, swallowing them)
3) did you bleed? how bad? (my worst fear!!!)

I am trying to gather a general consensus

Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Tonsilectomy scabs

1. My most painful swallowing was on Days 7 and 8. My only horrible pain lasted 15 minutes or so on Day 7.

2. At the end of that 15 minutes, I spat out a couple of small, soft, white pieces of the scablike membrane. I can only assume that I swallowed the rest of it while eating, drinking or chewing gum.

3. I had absolutely no bleeding whatsoever.

The Following User Says Thank You to choirgirl For This Useful Post:
IHateTonsils46 (02-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

MaeMaddieMae HB User

Night of day 7 and all day during day 8 was the worst due to the scabs falling off. I do not recommend this but I used a q-tip to assist in removing some that were just hanging on. I gently would push it around;I had a few big chunks fall out. I assume the rest was swallowed. Right now, I have a thin layer of the white scabs on my throat. I will not mess this these bc it is so thin and my throat is very sensitive right now. Today is day 9, and I think it is going to get better.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
(female)

blueiceeyes HB User

Hi my name is michele....im in the same boat with you. I had my tonsils out on January 25th today has been the best day since then but i still have my scabs. i am still sore in the neck area and throat but not as bad as it has been. I have been wondering too as to when they scabs fall off and how painful it may be etc. i am suppose to go back to the dr for a follow up on the 7th and see about if i can go back to work or not. but it is making me nervous since the scabs still haven't come off yet.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
(female)

IHateTonsils46 HB User

Hi Michelle! I just posted in another topic area about the pain I have been experiencing lately. Two nights ago I had intense pain where I was crying. It lasted about an hour and felt like lit matches in my throat. Severe burning and pinching sensation accompanied by referred ear pain. I noticed that since then, scabs have fallen off, replaced by lighter areas of white/pink. About an hour ago I experienced the pain again. However this time, it only lasted 20 minutes. I have come to the conclusion that, at least so far, the falling off of the scabs means intense pain but no bleeding.

I have not spit out any scabs or felt myself swallow them, so I do not know when exactly they come off. But the pain must be tied to it.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

MaeMaddieMae HB User

I had my surgery the 25th as well and day 8 was the worst. Very similar sensations of pain. I even cried too.
Today is day 10 and I am so much better. I would say 90% of the scabs have come off. Pain in the morning is the worst but hey, that is better what I have been through. Good luck everyone!

Closed Thread