It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

Dees1977 HB User
Please help CT Scan Showed Polyp in Sphenoid Sinus

I have been having headaches behind my left eye for 3 years now. I went and had a CT scan with and without contrast and this is what it said. Images reviewed at bone windows demonstrate mild mucosal thickening in the posterier medial aspect of the left sphenoid sinus with a polypoid lesion. The mastoids and remaining visulazied sinuses are normally aerated. The bony calverium is normal. Impression mild paranasal sinus disease.

I got to reading about the sphenoid sinus having infection and I got scared. Is this what is causing my headaches? Is this serious? The headaches go away with migraine meds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Please help CT Scan Showed Polyp in Sphenoid Sinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dees1977 View Post
I have been having headaches behind my left eye for 3 years now. I went and had a CT scan with and without contrast and this is what it said. Images reviewed at bone windows demonstrate mild mucosal thickening in the posterier medial aspect of the left sphenoid sinus with a polypoid lesion. The mastoids and remaining visulazied sinuses are normally aerated. The bony calverium is normal. Impression mild paranasal sinus disease.

I got to reading about the sphenoid sinus having infection and I got scared. Is this what is causing my headaches? Is this serious? The headaches go away with migraine meds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Yes, the sphenoid sinus infection can cause bad headaches. Surgery of the sphenoid sinus is rather tricky, you need a really experienced ENT. I had fungal ball with a bony mass. It took two surgery to get it all. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dees1977 View Post

I'm not sure why you think that you have an infection in your sphenoid sinus, nothing in your CT scan results mentions infection in any way.

A "polypoid lesion" is a benign fluid-filled sac that is not an infection, but rather a collection of fluid behind the mucus membrane.

Based on your CT scan results it's most likely that your doctor will recommend a course of oral steroids to shrink the polyp followed by use of a medication like Singulair to help keep the polyp from returning. If that doesn't work, the polyp may have to be removed (which is a fairly easy procedure for just a single polyp).

It's not serious but it could be contributing to your headaches.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
Dees1977 (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

Dees1977 HB User

What does the mild mucosal thickening mean? I thought that was infection.

Closed Thread