It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
(male)

YummyMayo HB User
ETD / tinnitus success?

I'm 29 and about three weeks ago I was diagnosed with Eustachian tube dysfunction for tinnitus I have been experiencing since Jan 13. I was given three "tester" sprays by my ENT: Omnaris, VeraMyst, and Nasonex. I have since been prescribed the latter for daily use.

The Nasonex is what I was sampling when the tinnitus (constant ringing in my ear) seemed to cease and I can say was 90-95% gone. I went a period of 3-4 days with minimal ringing and thought I was on my way to recovery, even with extreme ease of falling asleep at night. But that last evening, it hit back really hard and was absolutely maddening. I was still sampling other brands of steroid nasal spray at the time, but since the Nasonex seemed to coincide with the minimal ringing, that is what I am now trying out.

I did take a hearing test last week which showed I have perfect and above average hearing. In general it seems like the tinnitus might be calming down, but it's hard to tell if I am just getting more used to it. Assuming the ENT was correct in his diagnosis, I was wondering how long the Eustachian tubes can take to heal and the tinnitus to go away?

I have heard everything from a few days, weeks, months, and never. I am trying to stay optimistic about it, so I was wondering if anyone can post success stories about their tinnitus or ETD going away? and when?

The following user gives a hug of support to YummyMayo:
Livestrong2day (04-25-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YummyMayo For This Useful Post:
mlaron (02-06-2012), trogueii (02-17-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

txmacdee HB User
Re: ETD / tinnitus success?

What other test did they run on you, to give you the diagnosis of ETD? Any Cat Scan to check you for Allergies? or have the pressure of your ears checked (Tympanometry)?

I know my daughter has had everything, CT, MRI, sinus medications, Skin test Enviremental allergery testing, Heart monitering, Camera up her nose to check if sinuses are clear, Tympanometry, Audio testing, VEMPS, Tubes put in her ears although heathy, etc. We still have no answers to what is causing Ear Fullness 24/7 for the past 2 years and 10 months. Of course we are not giving up.

There are many test they can do, and sometimes do not give all the testing they should to verify ETD, you need to narrow it down the best possible way, so you can make sure you are not aggravating the situation more, as we have done.

Good Luck,
Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

trogueii HB User

Hi-I wish I could have a promising reply to your post regarding tinnitus going away,but I have had it over 12 years,and have tried each and everything I have heard of-mine started when I was 65 yrs. old after having a vitrectomy (removal of the vitreous humor in the mid-part of the eye)after having a corneal transplant for herpes keratitis. It is constant,extremely high pitched,and very debillitating.The Drs.agree it is a Central Nervous System trigger,but know nothing,other than sound machines,to deal with it.I use a Petroff Dynamics system when I am read or watching TV.
I am sure your age is definitely in your favor----Keep trying those drops!!!!
Trogueii

The Following User Says Thank You to trogueii For This Useful Post:
YummyMayo (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
(male)

YummyMayo HB User

Hi. As I explained in another post, the original diagnosis may have ended up being incorrect or unrelated to my tinnitus. While I can speculate that the sounds are decreasing very slightly and in general going more unnoticed, I am afraid it is only because I am starting to get accustomed to it. At night, it is still very difficult to go to sleep and the ringing is very prominent.

The results of the ABR test showed "irregular" results in the affected ear. Which means I think they now suspect it may be something like Acoustic Neuroma. They have me booked for a CT scan in a couple weeks which will hopefully show in more detail. (MRI ruled out because of my pre-existing back operation/harrington rods) I do have a history of NF2 which can be directly related to the Acoustic Neuroma because the "tumors" are common in those with NF2.

Surgery may be a possibility in the near future. As with all operations, there is risk involved but I guess I am still deciding now if it were to come up if I should go through with it or not.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

rwood73 HB User

I am curious how you are doing? I have had the same thing since January 23 2011 it hit me one night the feeling of fullness then the echo and then ringing non stop since then. It seems a little quieter now or maybe I'm getting used to it! But I want it gone! My ENT says only time will tell. I took an antibiotic and steriod pill for two weeks ans Nasonex. I did have fluid behind my left ear according to the ENT but ringing is in both ears. My PD says it will go away so I am trying to stay positive because it has given me a lot of anxiety!!! It has now been 45 days!!!!!! When you get on here you see alot of people with the same issues but nobody says it stops!! Maybe because they post msgs when they are concerned and then it goes away and they don't update us? not sure but wish they would! My cousin in florida says she has dealt with this for years!!!! anyway, how are you? I hope it is gone for you!!!! need good news!! Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
(male)

YummyMayo HB User

Hi rwood,

It has been since Jan 13 and the ringing has not stopped. At times, there were periods where the ringing seemed incredibly minimal (90-95% gone) but after two days max, it would come back hard. It hasn't really happened for the past week or two - in general it seems more tolerable, but like you said... I dunno if I am just starting to block it out or if it really is improving.

I have a CT scan next week, which I think the doctors are hoping to find out if it is acoustic neuroma. I haven't talked to them about subsequent steps, but prior to all this they seemed fairly optimistic that it would go away on its own eventually. They had no time table, and of course because of recent developments things might change.

I am hoping that if it is indeed acoustic neuroma then surgery might be an option. Risks involved, of course... but the ringing is definitely maddening and I don't know that I'll ever be completely used to it. Stay strong, stay positive, let's hoe that things improve for all of us.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
(female)

rwood73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyMayo View Post
Hi rwood,

It has been since Jan 13 and the ringing has not stopped. At times, there were periods where the ringing seemed incredibly minimal (90-95% gone) but after two days max, it would come back hard. It hasn't really happened for the past week or two - in general it seems more tolerable, but like you said... I dunno if I am just starting to block it out or if it really is improving.

I have a CT scan next week, which I think the doctors are hoping to find out if it is acoustic neuroma. I haven't talked to them about subsequent steps, but prior to all this they seemed fairly optimistic that it would go away on its own eventually. They had no time table, and of course because of recent developments things might change.

I am hoping that if it is indeed acoustic neuroma then surgery might be an option. Risks involved, of course... but the ringing is definitely maddening and I don't know that I'll ever be completely used to it. Stay strong, stay positive, let's hoe that things improve for all of us.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

rwood73 HB User

Thanks for your reply! Lets keep in touch and hopefully we will both be ring free some day soon! My ENT just says, it may go away. My primary doctor laughs and says it will but that it will take time!!! so.....I pray she knows what she is talking about!! But I gotta say, isn't it the most frustrating thing to get on here for some HOPE, and all you find is the negative or you never hear from them again! I really hope that's because theirs stopped and they no longer need to search for answers!!!!!! you hang in there too you are not alone!!!!! Thank god my anxiety has chilled! The first 3 weeks I lost 12lbs from not eating! I thought life was over! My husband got frustrated with me and kept saying to be thankful it's not a life threatening disease! I am grateful but the ringing was sooooo loud! The fluid is now out of my ear according to the ENT but now he says my E.tubes are still full or inflamed or whatever!!! Anyway, I will keep in touch!! Take care!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
(male)

Allergies120 HB User

Just to quickly tell of my 'success story' - I went to a club and woke up the next day with 'ringing ears', thought it would go away after sleeping... it didn't. Got nervous and all the rest of it. Went to the doctors, who thought the club had nothing to do with it (I'm only 18) passed the hearing test (no hearing loss). But he noticed I had rhinitis because of allergies. He said this would likely be what was blocking my eustachian tubes and causing me to have tinnitus, ear pressure and the stuffy feeling etc. He prescribed a nasal spray and also pseudoephedrine and inside 2weeks it seems to have gone 95%... I would also say, as many others, that because we have all now experienced 'ringing ears' that any noise that isn't external can be alarming. This needs to be changed as I would say the only reason I'm not saying I'm 100% better is because prior to having tinnitus I would not associate these little noises with anything bad. We all need to accept that we always had some degree of tinnitus when in a quiet place but that this IS normal. I hope this means that some people don't get too worried as there may be a treatable underlying cause. Also there are new possible technologies that can fix ALL manner of tinnitus by retuning the brain that are in the process of clinical trials... Look it up if you're interested! But as I said I'm 95% better and hopefully in time the psychological 5% will also get better!

The following user gives a hug of support to Allergies120:
Xram (12-06-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
(female)

trogueii HB User

Hi---so good to hear a success in treating your tinnitus.Could you tell me the name of the nosedrops?Also,what form was the pseudoephedrine-pill or capsule.
Please advise
Thanks-

Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
(male)

Allergies120 HB User

It was in pill form and the nasal spray was beconase

Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
(female)

trogueii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergies120 View Post
It was in pill form and the nasal spray was beconase
Thanks for the info on the nose drops----I will try anything(within reason!!!!)to deal with my tinnitus---I already have started the ephedrine rx-it's Sudafed in the U.S.I am going to check about the Beconase with my neurologist.My husband is a Pharmacist,and said the drug here is vancenase.I use Flonase on a regular basis at night-it is a corticosteroid,as is the Beconase.
Over the past 6 wks,I have developed some periodic hand tremors,and have been seeing my neurologist ,and for now, he is probably going to keep me on the drop I'm using.He is setting me up for an MRI as soon as possible---I told the Dr.I really thought the tinnitus was responsible for the tremors-I have been dealing with constant high pitched tinnitus for
almost 13 yrs.and it has really changed my lifestyle,to say the least.

Thanks again-Trogueii

Closed Thread